Author Topic: the m3a1 "grease gun" for pilots after they bail out  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: the m3a1 "grease gun" for pilots after they bail out
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:38 PM »
films if what?  the films of me kicking your bellybutton in the DA?

ack-ack

POST!!!!!POST!!!!!POST!!!!!POST!!!!!POST!!!!!POST!!!!!

:devil
See Rule #4

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »

My computer messed that up it has automatic correct for the internet.
Why do I doubt that your internet browser "corrected" your spelling in such a way..?
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
the films of me kicking your bellybutton in the DA?  What part of "when I got home from work" do you not understand or do I have to type it slower for you to understand?

ack-ack
Id think youd be home by now
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2010, 06:45:44 PM »
Id think youd be home by now

Most people work 'till 5 or 6, patience.... :cool:
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
its almost 7
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »
its almost 7

ever heard of different time zones?  Im sure its possible that he lives in a different time zone than you. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
ever heard of different time zones?  Im sure its possible that he lives in a different time zone than you. 

Correct, Pacific Time Zone.  :D
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2010, 07:05:17 PM »

You're just gonna confuse the kid, don't think he understands the concept of EST, CST or PST.  We'd really blow his mind if were to then introduce the 'advanced concept' of Daylight Savings Time.

Correct, Pacific Time Zone.  :D

Give that man a cigar!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
Give that man a cigar!
Why, thankyou!

*lights the fine Cuban gift*

*puff, puff*

Ah, life in the Pacific Time Zone, we wake before dawns rosy fingers streak the sky, and the sun don't set till 8 o' clock in the evening, truly a magnificient area.

*long draw*
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2010, 07:17:58 PM »

Ah, life in the Pacific Time Zone, we wake before dawns rosy fingers streak the sky, and the sun don't set till 8 o' clock in the evening, truly a magnificient area.

*long draw*

Loved it as a kid, especially when I didn't have to come inside in the summer until it got dark.

ack-ack

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2010, 10:57:01 PM »
:huh have you forgot about enemy aircraft in the area? especially one shooting your chute?

Hmmm .45 pistol rounds with a 30 round magazine versus machineguns and cannons with a gunsight.
Think you'd be better off hiding  :rofl
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »
No offense 321BAR but...sshhhhh...just those 3 posts show you know less about weapons than I know about aeronautical engineering...and I know enough about aeronautical engineering to ask questions, not try and state any facts.

Just so you have the correct information...all 20th century small arms used by military forces had rifled barrels...that includes the sub machine guns but does not include the basic shotgun...the .45ACP started out as a pistol round but as illustrated by the devastating capabilities of the Thompson Sub Machine gun, it could reach out and destroy things at longer ranges than a pistol.
The BAR caliber 30.06 had a combat effective range of approximately 400 yards, not 1500...even though it could hit at long range, accuracy suffered...considering they used the .30 Browning machine gun in and against aircraft, what makes you think they would'nt use the more powerful BAR when necessary?

Not quite true...the M3 had an effective combat range of 100 yards...spray and pray mind you but still farther than the 50 yards of a 4 inch barreled pistol...and I've fired a 6 inch barreled .45 pistol accurately at 75 yards in competition.

You need to read your sources again...in WWII the M3 was never ever issued to fighter pilots...if at any point a fighter pilot had one, it was an anectdotal incident, not standard military issue...it started out issued to MPs in rear guard positions then went on to be issued to tank crews on the front lines...then basic front line infantry by the Korean war.

Krusty is correct in most part. The .45ACP was developed to replace the .38special for combat sidearms because the .38 proved to be very ineffective...the .45ACP travels at roughly 800 feet per second, which is close to the velocity of the .38 special but it carries more energy upon impact...aka knockdown power...and it is capable of traveling through the human body even if it hits bone...the effective range is only about 50 yards when fired from a pistol, even though it is deadly to 200 yards ...when fired from a sub machine gun it's effective to about 150 yards. What Krusty failed to note in his anecdote of the German soldiers is that the ranges those German soldiers were hit with was nearly 300 yards...and the same effect occurred with the German MP40s firing 9mm Parabellum...the .45ACP was phased out in most (not all) law enforcement agencies due to much more than just the effective range of the bullets...9mm ACP was chosen due to increased bullet capacity and higher velocity with increased damage upon impact yet sacrificing knock down power and range...others decided to use the .40S&W because it is in between the 9mm and .45, higher velocity and equal knock down power...the .45ACP is still used by some.

I know, Krusty, keep it simple just so it doesn't go over the heads of the unknowing but...  :confused:

gyrene i actually went and looked up the BAR online and it had an effective range to 1,500 yards and a max range of shot fired to 4,500. but the thompson and grease gun were rifled? i didnt know this. and btw i nailed it with the effective range of the M3A1... 100 yards is 300feet man. and i said this without actually returning to sources and looking it back up. so i know more than u think man
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2010, 01:37:02 AM »
well the films?

For the record, I was trying to keep from posting the films to prevent any further embarrassment on your part but with your attitude, I figure it would be a good lesson for you to learn how to eat crow once in awhile.  The film is posted in the "Perk the Spitfire" thread.  Enjoy.

ack-ack

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2010, 05:47:32 AM »
Yes sir, my apologies for leaving ballistic speed out of the equation. I'm not a fan of the 9mm even though it's a faster bullet, it's too much like firing a .38 super...I've seen people and animals take a hit and keep running where the .45 and .40 knock them down.
one more thing gyrene, not to continue an argument here but just a point. fighter vs fighter puts a starting velocity on all ordinance shot from the plane. a BAR or a .30cal mg on the ground COULD damage an aircraft in flight but theres a reason quad .50cals, .20mms, and .37 and .40mms were used. now i think ill drop this conversation because i was wrong once already :lol
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2010, 06:35:26 AM »
For the record, I was trying to keep from posting the films to prevent any further embarrassment on your part but with your attitude, I figure it would be a good lesson for you to learn how to eat crow once in awhile.  The film is posted in the "Perk the Spitfire" thread.  Enjoy.

ack-ack
I will post my film tonight