Author Topic: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?  (Read 4012 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
Well, I'm only a professional hardware and software reviewer for several computer magazines for 16 years, creator the software CDs that have shipped with every Epson projector since 1999, the writer of 3 Epson projector user guides and service manuals in 2009 alone, and I've been playing video games with projectors since the Warbirds convention in 1997.

So perhaps you might accept me as an authority on the subject when I say that, at least where it comes to projectors intended primarily to be hooked up to computers (and therefore have either a VGA or even a DVI port), THERE IS NO APPRECIABLE LAG WHEN PLAYING GAMES. It's just like using an LCD computer monitor.

But you do recognize that input lag is a big problem also in many LCD monitors?

"Input lag is a phenomenon associated with some types of LCD  displays, and nearly all types of HDTVs, that refers to latency, or lag measured by the difference between the time a signal is input into a display and the time it is shown by the display. This lag time has been measured as high as 68ms[1], or the equivalent of 3-4 frames on a 60 Hz display."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
In any case, I checked the back of my computer and there is No VGA connector on my video card just a pair of DVI connectors (XFX GTX 275 from NVIDIA). Maybe I bought the wrong card? Going to Newegg I did find a few (not a lot) cards that still offer a VGA connector on the high-end cards.

So the fact is that now a days (that is a funny term eh?) video cards are mostly being offered with DVI and the newer HDMI connectors.

Never heard of a DVI to VGA adapter huh? Many cards ship with them. Or you can buy them separately. Just because there are no VGA connectors on the back doesn't mean they don't support VGA.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »
I play on a 22, but I have a new 42 240 hz in the basement I might drag up to try with track IR

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
I run on an outmoded ViewSonic 21PS 21" CRT monitor that has been going strong for right at 10 yrs now (I got it used off Ebay).

But when it does crater I'm definitely gonna get me a 24"-30" LCD monitor for future use (largest I can get on my computer desk without blocking access to other compartments).

:D
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
I am but a humble computer user, a gamer if you will. I have dealt with experts many times. Most are good at what they do.  I believe that you are a great writer and technologist though at 16 years you are still a young pup.

In any case, I checked the back of my computer and there is No VGA connector on my video card just a pair of DVI connectors (XFX GTX 275 from NVIDIA). Maybe I bought the wrong card? Going to Newegg I did find a few (not a lot) cards that still offer a VGA connector on the high-end cards.

So the fact is that now a days (that is a funny term eh?) video cards are mostly being offered with DVI and the newer HDMI connectors.

I am using a projector based upon LCD technology. This is digital technology. My video card and computer are also both based on digital technology (we had analog computers in our science lab back in college, but they were eclipsed by the Intel 8088 and Motorola 6800 based digital computers). If I was to get a video card that was equipped with a VGA connector it would have to convert the digital information to Analog, because that is what VGA is. Then the projector would convert it back to digital information for the tiny LCD panels inside the projector. As I recall VGA works quite well with CRT monitors they are analog. The AE4000 PANASONIC projector also has a VGA connector on it. But it also has 3 HDMI connectors on it. I am watching in 1080P. This is pushing the upper limits of what VGA is capable of (1600X1200) though I am sure someone is working on improving on that.

WRT lag, I think at best you can say YMMV. I think it “depends” on what projector and what computer hardware you have as to whether you will see a performance degradation using VGA as compared to DVI/HDMI. If you can bypass all of the internal processing that goes on in a home theatre projector you will get better performance in terms of lag.

What about quality? Many users have reported an improvement after switching to DVI on their LCD panels and arguably some have not. However, and this is a big however (but I still didn’t capitalize it) at what cost in quality and for how much difference. The AE4000 offers options/settings to eliminate much of the extra processing involved in watching home theatre, which would greatly increase lag.

I move my mouse and the pointer moves. I don’t perceive a difference. That is to say I have ‘NO APPRECIABLE LAG WHEN PLAYING GAMES’. This has been the case of others who purchased the AE3000/4000 series of PANASONIC projectors. So my mileage with my setup is what I designed it for. I am pleased since I don’t have a problem with LAG.

Where is the VGA technology going? Can you say 8 track tape or VHS? Maybe, stranger things have happened.

Infidelz

Some clarifications.

The DVI connectors on the back of your video card have pins reserved in them for VGA. That is the DVI spec, BTW. Your video card probably (almost certainly) came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter (and maybe two - XFX isn't stingy when it comes to in-box goodies - you pick up stuff like this with a mere 16 years experience in the industry), and all they do is route the VGA signal pins from the DIV connector to the standard 15-pin VGA arrangement.

So having established that you really do have VGA output, are we done? I'm guessing not. ;-)

LCD projectors use the same digital to analog decoding as in LCD monitors, so of course there are milliseconds lost for each frame when going analog to digital, plus the response time of the display has a lag too (also in milliseconds). Would anyone notice the extra time of the analog to digital conversion during gaming? I'd be shocked. Grab a good LCD monitor with VGA and DVI connectors and play a game twice: once using each input. Is there a difference in speed? Again, I would be shocked if anyone could notice the difference, because I can't, and I just spent a few minutes double checking.

And we aren't talking about picture quality here - DVI should be able to deliver a better quality picture since there's no digital/analog conversion going on. But then again, you're talking about some "speedy" projector mode, which would have to work be reducing image quality in some way. Otherwise, why wouldn't "speedy" be the default mode?

Oh, and the VGA connector has no maximum resolution limit. Max resolution is dictated by the video ram available, the video card circuitry, and of course, what the connected display device can accept. I have a 22" CRT monitor from the good ol' days here that supports 2048x1536, and it only has a VGA connector on it.

Anyway, it sounds like you are fact getting a lag-less setup with a projector without doing anything special. I maintain that for PC gaming, no one really has to do anything special.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
I am going to suggest a dozen wings and a couple bottles of Yinling.  :cheers:

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2010, 12:16:25 AM »
Two things:

1.)  You guys that are using 32, 36, 42"+ screens - do any of you use TrackIR as well?  If so, for those who "back up" a bit from the screen, does that pose a problem with TIR?

2.)  Haj, I've got a nice 19" LCD widescreen monitor sitting around collecting dust.  Works perfectly, great picture.  Your welcome to it for the cost of shipping.  :)

Worked fantastic. I was probably 3.5 feet from it, tracked great, and my 285 card drove the resolution no problem.
Betty looks great on that big screen, which is a plus.
(its way bigger then it looks in this picture, the window is 5 feet across.)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2010, 01:51:53 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if only the big screen boys are posting here, or if I'm really one of only a handful of players still using an "archaic" 19" non-widescreen display ...  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2010, 06:05:59 AM »
Lusche, Hardware is one of the few places where money can actually increase your odds in this game.

The very first thing I noticed when I upgraded was that I could now see nose from tail, wing direction, could tell which way a plane was going at least 3k farther than I could before. It was very quickly apparent if that 5k dot was coming my way or not.

Also a big monitor can make a huge difference in shooting.
Think about how many pixels make up a plane at 350 yards on a 17-19 inch monitor.
Now go to a 23-24, with almost double the total viewable area. In effect your shooting at targets 3 - 4 times as big.

What you see on your end, is what you shoot at and what you hit.

Now its your choice, want to shoot at a golfball at 50 yards? A softball? A basketball? or a Beach Ball?
Which one you think is easier to hit?

Also this is where screen resolution comes into play. On the same monitor, which is going to give you a bigger target, 800x600 or 1600x1200?

Granted, the lower resolutions are not as nice to look at.
But they give you a bigger target to shoot at.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if only the big screen boys are posting here, or if I'm really one of only a handful of players still using an "archaic" 19" non-widescreen display ...  :uhoh

The only reason I have a 23", is my 19" non-widescreen LCD went.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
Oh, and the VGA connector has no maximum resolution limit. Max resolution is dictated by the video ram available, the video card circuitry, and of course, what the connected display device can accept. I have a 22" CRT monitor from the good ol' days here that supports 2048x1536, and it only has a VGA connector on it.

Max resolution in an analog connection is heavily dictated by cable length and quality i.e. damping and noise. That becomes quickly a limiting factor to maximum available resolution.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2010, 09:21:18 AM »
Tried a 46" lcd here:

settled on 3 24":

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
I use a 30" IPS screen (HP ZR30w) at 2560x1600, all eye candy turned on.  It's great, and one reason I'm one of those wishlisting for improved terrain graphics.  This is just my work box, but perhaps soon I'll upgrade to 3 ZR30w.  And yes, I use TIR, it works just fine.

Paul

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »
5760 x 1080 on triple 24 inch LED monitors, and I'm able to have the chat and map up, while in flight. Comes in handy when you are trying to like up while in bomb sight.

Will post pics when I get home.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Used 26 inch Samsung for years but have have had a 40 inch led Samsung now at 4 feet away,,, I love it!!!
Flying since tour 71.