Author Topic: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline GreenEagle43

• Copper Member
      • http://www.dickweedhbg.com
Re: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »
i have a hannsG 28 in pc monitor.great picture
Recruiting Officer GrnEagle  DHBG
Dedicated to Bish Country. 16 YEARS of BOMBER SERVICE

AN Aces High BOMBER SQUADRON. www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »
"Nice doggy" :)

why thank u! that would be my stuka puppy :)
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2010, 04:38:33 AM »
If you can't put the TrackIR the correct distance in front of you just mount it behind you.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2010, 05:20:19 AM »
22" Philips 202P7
Had it just over four years. Prob'ly the last CRT I'll ever buy.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »
Hercules or CGA? :D

headtracking on the z800 in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITQ9HFiRY_0

It is all I have room for.  Not sure what I am going to do when the monitor dies.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
www.3dvisor.com or I'd suggest www.vuzix.com

you show a pic of one, but rec the other?

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2010, 03:47:58 PM »
http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_ae4000_projector_review.htm

1080P is magic

• Gaming Mode. Video delay is not a good thing for gaming, and audio delay does not fix the problem. So the AE3000 and AE4000 both have a feature which is not called Gaming Mode, but could be. It is called Frame Response, and it lets you adjust the speed of frame delivery from the buffer. Your options are "Normal" and "Fast." "Normal" will provide normal video processing and results in a frame delay of about 3 frames (assuming Frame Creation is off). "Fast" will eliminate some of the standard video processing overhead and cuts frame delay to about 1.5 frames. There is no way for a video picture to appear instantaneously with zero delay on any digital video display, so the Fast frame delivery feature on the AE3000/4000 is about as good as it gets.

This just isn't a problem with computers and computer projectors. Remember, most projectors are hooking up with VGA cables. VGA is an analog connection. No delay. Even 14 years ago.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2010, 07:31:54 PM »
This just isn't a problem with computers and computer projectors. Remember, most projectors are hooking up with VGA cables. VGA is an analog connection. No delay. Even 14 years ago.

-Llama

O'RLY?

Actually it is a problem and a consideration according to some much smarter than me on this topic.

Recall, most serious gamers stopped using VGA several years ago when DVI-X came out. The AE4000 does not offer a DVI-X connector, however it has three HDMI connections. I use one with an adapter from my DVI-X cable to my NVDIA GTX275 (which only has DVI-X Connectors). The computer had no problem recognizing the Home Theater projector and I was quite surprised with how easy was to configure.

Running through all the processing (frame creation, smoothing and such) that is available when watching blu ray movies would cause additional lag in AH, which would prove fatal. The projector has the gaming mode which according to all I have read greatly minimizes lag.

Infidelz

Offline denniswilha

• Zinc Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
I use 3  24" samsung SyncMaster 2443 BWX's, and a TripleHead2Go. resolution is 5040X1050. When I work on one of my kids PC's their screens are 22" monitors I think they are so small. Once you get used to using a larger screen I think you really notice a change.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
you show a pic of one, but rec the other?

I got my Z800 when the price was down to about US$600. The Z800 is definitely superior to the VR-920 (better FoV, OLED panels)  but the cost jumps significantly. The VR920 does have better software though (and better 3D Drivers).

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2010, 10:09:41 PM »
I got my Z800 when the price was down to about US$600. The Z800 is definitely superior to the VR-920 (better FoV, OLED panels)  but the cost jumps significantly. The VR920 does have better software though (and better 3D Drivers).

AAAHH.....

i didn't mean the question sarcastically, although i typed it that way. a customer walked in just as i was typing.

the review said something about the 3d software not working yet though.....either way, they look to be better than a 22" lcd.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
O'RLY?

Actually it is a problem and a consideration according to some much smarter than me on this topic.

Recall, most serious gamers stopped using VGA several years ago when DVI-X came out. The AE4000 does not offer a DVI-X connector, however it has three HDMI connections. I use one with an adapter from my DVI-X cable to my NVDIA GTX275 (which only has DVI-X Connectors). The computer had no problem recognizing the Home Theater projector and I was quite surprised with how easy was to configure.

Running through all the processing (frame creation, smoothing and such) that is available when watching blu ray movies would cause additional lag in AH, which would prove fatal. The projector has the gaming mode which according to all I have read greatly minimizes lag.

Infidelz

Well, I'm only a professional hardware and software reviewer for several computer magazines for 16 years, creator the software CDs that have shipped with every Epson projector since 1999, the writer of 3 Epson projector user guides and service manuals in 2009 alone, and I've been playing video games with projectors since the Warbirds convention in 1997.

So perhaps you might accept me as an authority on the subject when I say that, at least where it comes to projectors intended primarily to be hooked up to computers (and therefore have either a VGA or even a DVI port), THERE IS NO APPRECIABLE LAG WHEN PLAYING GAMES. It's just like using an LCD computer monitor.

And even Epson's most expensive Home Theater 1080p projector ($3500) still has a VGA port. They aren't going away anytime soon.

I don't mean to be indignant, but I'm pretty sure about this.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »
Well, I'm only a professional hardware and software reviewer for several computer magazines for 16 years, creator the software CDs that have shipped with every Epson projector since 1999, the writer of 3 Epson projector user guides and service manuals in 2009 alone, and I've been playing video games with projectors since the Warbirds convention in 1997.

So perhaps you might accept me as an authority on the subject when I say that, at least where it comes to projectors intended primarily to be hooked up to computers (and therefore have either a VGA or even a DVI port), THERE IS NO APPRECIABLE LAG WHEN PLAYING GAMES. It's just like using an LCD computer monitor.

And even Epson's most expensive Home Theater 1080p projector ($3500) still has a VGA port. They aren't going away anytime soon.

-Llama
so......

whatcha tryin to say? :aok :noid :neener:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2010, 03:50:03 AM »
AAAHH.....

i didn't mean the question sarcastically, although i typed it that way. a customer walked in just as i was typing.

the review said something about the 3d software not working yet though.....either way, they look to be better than a 22" lcd.  :aok

I wouldn't say better, I'd say different.

With VR you sacrifice resolution, but you gain tremendous immersion. Especially if you get stereo 3d going.

When you get into a rolling knife fight at close range the head tracking and stereo 3d makes it totally exhilarating.

Throw on games like FSX in stereo 3D and you just go wow at the difference. Plus the headtracking lets you look around and use your mouse to flick cockpit switches... no need for a simpit :D

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2010, 06:09:03 AM »

-Llama

I am but a humble computer user, a gamer if you will. I have dealt with experts many times. Most are good at what they do.  I believe that you are a great writer and technologist though at 16 years you are still a young pup.

In any case, I checked the back of my computer and there is No VGA connector on my video card just a pair of DVI connectors (XFX GTX 275 from NVIDIA). Maybe I bought the wrong card? Going to Newegg I did find a few (not a lot) cards that still offer a VGA connector on the high-end cards.

So the fact is that now a days (that is a funny term eh?) video cards are mostly being offered with DVI and the newer HDMI connectors.

I am using a projector based upon LCD technology. This is digital technology. My video card and computer are also both based on digital technology (we had analog computers in our science lab back in college, but they were eclipsed by the Intel 8088 and Motorola 6800 based digital computers). If I was to get a video card that was equipped with a VGA connector it would have to convert the digital information to Analog, because that is what VGA is. Then the projector would convert it back to digital information for the tiny LCD panels inside the projector. As I recall VGA works quite well with CRT monitors they are analog. The AE4000 PANASONIC projector also has a VGA connector on it. But it also has 3 HDMI connectors on it. I am watching in 1080P. This is pushing the upper limits of what VGA is capable of (1600X1200) though I am sure someone is working on improving on that.

WRT lag, I think at best you can say YMMV. I think it “depends” on what projector and what computer hardware you have as to whether you will see a performance degradation using VGA as compared to DVI/HDMI. If you can bypass all of the internal processing that goes on in a home theatre projector you will get better performance in terms of lag.

What about quality? Many users have reported an improvement after switching to DVI on their LCD panels and arguably some have not. However, and this is a big however (but I still didn’t capitalize it) at what cost in quality and for how much difference. The AE4000 offers options/settings to eliminate much of the extra processing involved in watching home theatre, which would greatly increase lag.

I move my mouse and the pointer moves. I don’t perceive a difference. That is to say I have ‘NO APPRECIABLE LAG WHEN PLAYING GAMES’. This has been the case of others who purchased the AE3000/4000 series of PANASONIC projectors. So my mileage with my setup is what I designed it for. I am pleased since I don’t have a problem with LAG.

Where is the VGA technology going? Can you say 8 track tape or VHS? Maybe, stranger things have happened.

Infidelz