Author Topic: Tighten up the blasted drone leash  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« on: February 28, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
So I'm flying along in pursuit of a formation of B-26s last night. I'm in an F4U-4 and I check my airspeed, which is right about 350mph TAS and accelerating at level flight. The B-26s are PULLING AWAY. I'm at 350 TAS AND THEY'RE PULLING AWAY. He didn't lose one drone during his dive to run away from me. When I finally managed to catch him in a good attack position, he pulled nearly full vertical and didn't lose ONE DRONE DOING IT.

Can the drone leash PLEASE BE SHORTENED. It's getting absolutely ridiculous watching formations diving away from you at fighter speeds and performing advanced aerobatics without losing a drone in the process.

(And no, he did NOT shoot me down. I finally managed to kill one drone and smoke the engine on another before tiring of that BS and backing off to look for some less aggravating fighter kills).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:17:16 PM »
+1 saw alot of drone problems in the event on Saturday....The drone lags make me lag bad :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »
I like to do immelmans with my formations in order to precisely reverse course.  It's a piece of cake.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:46:14 PM »
(And no, he did NOT shoot me down. I finally managed to kill one drone and smoke the engine on another before tiring of that BS and backing off to look for some less aggravating fighter kills).

Sorry to hear that you had to work for your supper; must be awful that BUFFs don't just rollover and lay-down when your fighter enters icon range.
 :bolt:

Fight Like a Girl

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:29:08 AM »
nobody likes to see fiters do stuff out of the ordinary, stuff that couldnt be done in ww2.  so why should the buffs be allowed to dive bomb and do immelmans?  when it coldnt be done in ww2.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »
Sorry to hear that you had to work for your supper; must be awful that BUFFs don't just rollover and lay-down when your fighter enters icon range.
 :bolt:

Thank you VERY much for missing my point.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:53 AM »
Guncrasher who says it couldn't be done?

As a general rule, for "safety" reasons it was not done in big formations. You'd lose more bombers to collisions than to enemy gunfire if they were free to manuver.

But a single set, prove it couldn't be done. Don't just make the accusation.

As far as I know there is no aircraft out there that can't do a simple low angle dive for speed, then immelman up & over.

Saxman what point? Its the same for all of us correct?
You didn't make a point, you made a complaint that the leash is too long.
Offered nothing to back it up.

Not that I want to get into a !@#$#$% match, but from where I'm sitting vonKrimm is right on the nose.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »

As a general rule, for "safety" reasons it was not done in big formations. You'd lose more bombers to collisions than to enemy gunfire if they were free to manuver.

As far as I know there is no aircraft out there that can't do a simple low angle dive for speed, then immelman up & over.

Saxman what point? Its the same for all of us correct?
You didn't make a point, you made a complaint that the leash is too long.
Offered nothing to back it up.

Not that I want to get into a !@#$#$% match, but from where I'm sitting vonKrimm is right on the nose.

Ive never seen the most advanced bombers of the miltary today do immelmens in formation......just sayin :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »

Come on tell me you're not being serious! Maybe if the B-26 was stripped to just fuel and a pilot. Never in combat would a B-26 do an immelman. Not only do you have the airframe stressed to a manuver not designed for. You also have crew members being thrown all over the aircraft if not out of it in some cases. Not to mention ammo boxes and other loose gear flying through the aircraft banging into vital equipment. I'd like to see you prove a set of B-26s or even a single B-26 could pull a manuver like that and still be in condition to defend itself afterwards. :rolleyes:

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:52 AM »
Thank you VERY much for missing my point.

I absolutely did not miss your point, I merely decided to treat it with levity; this is a game and not a reality, when people stop treating it as a game and try to force too much reality into it, it will cease to serve the intended purpose of entertainment.  I am sorry that my irreverent nature caused you such consternation with respect to your "concern".

Like Ghosth said, I don't want to engage in a 9i55ing contest, just accept that we are polar opposites, for the time being, on this topic. :cheers:

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
The point of the bomber formations was to improve the defensive capabilities of bombers when HTC decided NOT to allow them to load up with gunners like was possible in Air Warrior, NOT to allow bomber pilots to dogfight with three planes that always stay in perfect formation. Bomber formations should NOT be able to dive to ridiculously high speeds, Split-S, Immelmann, Barrel Roll, whatever and not lose a drone. What an individual plane could do and what a group of planes in close formation DID are two entirely different things.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 07:41:07 AM »
I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:56 AM »
I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(

Now this is one aspect I am in complete agreement with about drones.  The solution could be that if a drone moves more than "x" distance in "y" time period and collides with anything else, only the drone is affected by a collision and not the object that was there "1st".

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 08:22:34 AM »
The BETTER solution is that if the drone gets so far out of position it has to warp BACK into place because of how extreme the maneuver is, then the drone should pop outright. Because a bomber formation shouldn't even be MAKING maneuvers that extreme in the first place.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »
The BETTER solution is that if the drone gets so far out of position it has to warp BACK into place because of how extreme the maneuver is, then the drone should pop outright. Because a bomber formation shouldn't even be MAKING maneuvers that extreme in the first place.

I am in complete agreement.  +1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!