Author Topic: Tighten up the blasted drone leash  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »

But I very much doubt that HTC will at this point change it.
Why should they?

Because the purpose of the drones was to give a bomber pilot extra defensive firepower, NOT three fighters with as many as 30 blasted machine guns a gunner can point at you while looping and weaving all over the frelling place.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »
I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(

What he said :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
I'm actually not a fan of the model that kills drones when "manouvering" causes them to extend too far from the lead aircraft.

Ideally there should be a point where the distance gets so great that the drone effectively "gets lost" and AI takes over (driven from the players FE) and the Drone ditches its bombs and RTB's. If it gets shot down or forced to ditch then so be it and kills/losses awarded appropiately. If the lead plane is destroyed then the player may find himself in charge of an aircraft free of payload on its way to origin base. He can do with that as he pleases.

I assume (and thats caught me out before) that positional control/reference reporting re drones is not like other ac else they would not warp quite so much in comparison to other ac.........

There is of course loads of other stuff re "level bombers" F6, pilot release, fuses etc but that I assume is for elsewhere
Ludere Vincere

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(

+1

This and when destroying the center bomber causes one of the drones to insta-warp into center position...
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2010, 05:19:07 PM »
engaged 2 sets of buffs that thought the were fighters. That didn't bug me but dodging the warping drones did.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 06:11:05 PM »
+2 best suggestion is some time. YES! simply put.
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »

We are talking about the ability, given certain death if we do nothing, of doing a dive then an immelman.
There is no WWII bomber that in the right circumstances could not, or would not do exactly that.

That explains all the Luftwaffe gun camera footage of Allied bombers doing immelmans to shake off the 109s and 190s. Not to mention the Bettys doing the same thing to shake off the Hellcats.  :rolleyes:

I've seen frame after frame of gun camera footage and have yet to see an Allied or Axis level bomber do an immelman. In fact in all the books I've read on air combat since age 12 and I am now 51, the only reference I've ever seen of a level bomber attempting such a radical maneuver was described in Saburo Sakai's book Samurai about a G4M pilot who tried to loop his Betty. It didn't end well for him. The designed defense of level bombers was massed firepower from a mutual supporting formation of other level bombers. If a plane was damaged and fell out of formation it was doomed and already too damaged to accomplish anything but flying straight and level long enough for the crew to bail.

Loop roll and immelman to your heart's desire, but don't try and pass it off as a historically valid tactic.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:57:38 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
I agree with Sax.

Ghosth, although the plane WOULD be able to do it (erm, maybe, depends on the pilot and the specifics of the day along with the aircraft and it's condition, a lot of variables), the CREW could not. Here is a picture of a B-24 waist turret...

Tell me, if the plane goes vertical, what happens? Gravity says, they fall. They fall, and more than likely, get hurt or crush the tail gunner. Now, after your done falling, what happens when that plane goes up-side-down? You fall again. Now, you also had ammo boxes and other misc. loose items, which, yup, you guessed it, as gravity says, they fall too. Now, what happens when you fall, then have 150 rounds of ammunition, stored in a box, fall on your arm? Your arm hurts like hell. So, you just fell, crushed your tail gunner, had ammo fall onto your arm, you're in not-so-great shape. Now, while the plane is up-side-down, shoot your waist gun...

Oh wait...

You're hurt, and odds are, you won't be shooting the waist gun if you needed to, even after leveling out...

You wanna do it? Fine I say, but say good-bye to your gunners...

My $.02.

~Trig
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:18 AM »
Trigger, know what centrifigal force is? Why can roller coasters go loop de loop without the passengers falling out?

Same for a plane doing a loop.

You know I don't think you guys really have a clue what its like trying to fly a bomber these days.

So I dare ya, I double dog dare ya. Fly this tour in nothing but bombers in formation.
Then come back at the end of the tour and tell me that they need to be changed.
Go ahead, prove me wrong. I dare ya.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:13:02 AM by Ghosth »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 07:06:35 AM »
Trigger, know what centrifigal force is? Why can roller coasters go loop de loop without the passengers falling out?

Same for a plane doing a loop.

You know I don't think you guys really have a clue what its like trying to fly a bomber these days.

So I dare ya, I double dog dare ya. Fly this tour in nothing but bombers in formation.
Then come back at the end of the tour and tell me that they need to be changed.
Go ahead, prove me wrong. I dare ya.

I never said the bombers needed to be changed. I said your claim that doing immelmans in a bomber is a valid tactic is bulls**t.
You haven't proved me wrong and you haven't proved it was a tactic used in the war. It's gaming the game pure and simple. I'm not even saying don't do it. I'm just saying if you do it or support it you're officially on the gamer side of the sim. Not what I like to see in a guy sporting an AH Trainer Avatar. By the way ever done a loop in an airplane? I have quite a few times. Also have you ever been on a C-130 that was manuvering hard? I've been there too and thank God the pilot didn't try an immelman  :lol

So I dare ya, I double dog dare ya.

:rofl
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:20:43 AM by Shifty »

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2010, 07:09:17 AM »
That's a total physics fail.

Centrifugal force isn't some magical anti-gravity field, especially when you consider the extremely low G-load that most of these bombers could tolerate. IIRC our B-24 loses its wings around what, 3-4G? The bombers don't have NEAR the acceleration forces acting on its crew and internal components to keep them rooted in place while the plain is spinning around like a top.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
How about you kill the bombers before they dive away!!  :confused: yes it is possible  :x 
 :joystick:
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
How about you kill the bombers before they dive away!!  :confused: yes it is possible  :x 
 :joystick:

Actually I prefer the buffs to maneuver. That means the guy is in the pilots seat not in a gun position, and if he has a gunner it makes it harder for him to track me. Plus it usually offers a better target. They're much more dangerous when they are stable and the guns manned. YMMV.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
Plus it usually offers a better target. They're much more dangerous when they are stable and the guns manned. YMMV.

Not if the bomber pilot is maneuvering in such a way, that the drones are warping all over. And you don't need to do an immelman to do so. There are ways to do a relatively flat turn so that the drones start hopping again & again to catch up with the lead. In such a situation it's terrible difficult to attack the bombers. Try to go for the lead, and the drones may warp into you, or go for a drone and they will quickly warp out of your sight.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wedge1126

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »
That's a total physics fail.

Centrifugal force isn't some magical anti-gravity field, especially when you consider the extremely low G-load that most of these bombers could tolerate. IIRC our B-24 loses its wings around what, 3-4G? The bombers don't have NEAR the acceleration forces acting on its crew and internal components to keep them rooted in place while the plain is spinning around like a top.

You should only need 1G.
On the other hand, rolling over at the top of an Immelmann might be unpleasant for the crew.
Wedge