Author Topic: WW1 Arena Observation  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: WW1 Arena Observation
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
For the most part you are.  If you think flat turns is the only thing you can do in the WW1 crates, then you need to rethink how to fly and fight.  I had no problems with using the D.VIII or the Camel in the vertical, in fact using the vertical in the D.VIII, I found it easy to take out the better turning D.I's.  The D.I couldn't hang with following me up in the vertical or in a loop fight.

ack-ack

I've already used the stall to my advantage.   It's awesome coming out of a stall with not even 5ft left before augering, only to hear a serenade of explosions behind ya! 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »
at one point this morning i was so slow and close to crashing, I managed to pull out just in time to bounce off the ground with the help of my gears and then smashed the throttle wide open and continued my turnfight.

was a TOPGUN moment  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 12:54:33 PM »
For the most part you are.  If you think flat turns is the only thing you can do in the WW1 crates, then you need to rethink how to fly and fight.  I had no problems with using the D.VIII or the Camel in the vertical, in fact using the vertical in the D.VIII, I found it easy to take out the better turning D.I's.  The D.I couldn't hang with following me up in the vertical or in a loop fight.

ack-ack

Every Dr1 I saw go vertical last night ended up hanging on it's prop then flopping to one side.  It makes for a tight turn at the top but it's a great opportunity for a kill too.

at one point this morning i was so slow and close to crashing, I managed to pull out just in time to bounce off the ground with the help of my gears and then smashed the throttle wide open and continued my turnfight.

was a TOPGUN moment  :aok

I did that last night too.  Actually tore off one of my gear in doing so.  It made for a tricky landing when I rtb'd later.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:56:38 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2010, 12:56:09 PM »
So far I think this is a fun addition to Aces High. I look forward to maybe seeing trenchlines to gun or balloons to attack.

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2010, 01:00:04 PM »
If you go to the center of the map (hashed area on clipboard) you can see some trench's in the bombed area's. It looks like an actual 3d object once you get down low enough.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:07 PM »
those with twisty sticks are going to get some very sore wrists.

ack-ack

Having a hard time typing out emails to clients today!   :cry :lol
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »
it was insanely fun, but I admit for the first time I really wanted to strangle someone, made me so PO'd...

I was getting ganged hard, so a squadie and myself roll from a different field and on 200 ask if anyone wants a "fair" fight, so my squadie is all ready engaged with one con, so I fly past them watching the fight progress, it is quit thrilling, so happens my squadie augers into the ground (which im sure many of us did  :rofl) so I engage the nme con, what ensues is an absolute insanely awesome fight, twisting and turning, stalling and just barely recovering in time, over and around we go, up and down back and forth with NO HO's, a truly great "Dogfight"....so I see a "friendly" con heading towards us, I ask for him to NOT engage the con I am fighting, he still tries to kill the guy I am fighting, so I break off, I am so PO'd the guy is lucky we were not in the same room, so I reem him out on local, he just says something about me whining,
   THATS the kind of crap that ruins this game.

its sux because HTC put together an amazing game and tards like that are making it very lame.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2010, 01:13:34 PM »
It's great, a nice break from the WWII style fighting.  'Knife fighting in a phone booth' is loads of fun.  I can hardly wait to see that level of damage model applied to the WWII stuff.  I will probably spend more time with the WWI stuff if/when they add more plane types.  Only having the top 3 best fighters is fun and smart, as how many people in the arenas have even heard of an Airco DH.2?  I am more partial to the earlier war stuff where you had to be even more careful about overspeeding and soforth.  Albatros, Sopwith Cubs, Nieuport 17...  

Still, great job HTC.  Looking forward to more good things.  Excellent job of hitting the high points of what those planes were known for.

And there is a vertical component to the fights in here guys, it's just that a zoom climb consists of about 100ft or so. <g>

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2010, 01:15:16 PM »
Every Dr1 I saw go vertical last night ended up hanging on it's prop then flopping to one side.  It makes for a tight turn at the top but it's a great opportunity for a kill too.

In the Dr.I, I found out what you described to be a good overshoot move.  I would go in to the vertical, like I was going to do a vertical barrel roll reversal but at those low speeds, the Dr.I really doesn't like to roll the opposite side of the torque so you would 'hang on the props' for a second or two and then just roll to the torque side and push the nose down for the overshoot and latch on the other guy's six.  Got most of my kills in the Dr.I this way.

Also found that you can rope someone in the Dr.I using a spiral climb since those little suckers can climb like the dickens at low altitudes.  Just kept a tight spiral climb against a D.VII that he couldn't match and flopped over when I saw the other guy roll over as he stalled.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:58 PM »
Thought it was great fun and  :rock to all at Aces High that produced a fantastic new add on to what is already a brilliant combat sim.
Fb2 is my fave'  get a few turns in then hit x to level out.  Jump in the back seat and shoot the baddie in the forehead.

Had a blast

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
Its interesting flying all the models, what i like is theres no perk planes and everyones on a even playing field, but INK is right to many like to clear peoples 12's lol, getting into a 1v1 or 2v2 is a total blast, the twisting and turning the loops and rolls, yea its a blast, im getting used to the sounds the plane makes before the wings rip or canvas tears and trying to fly it on the edge, its fun
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
I have enough trouble with my 3 "hers" thank you very much.  Anybody with 6 is lying to you dude.  Seriously, where do you get this silly info from?

6 hers at best?
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
I have enough trouble with my 3 "hers" thank you very much.  Anybody with 6 is lying to you dude.  Seriously, where do you get this silly info from?

:devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:57 AM »
Simply put WWI lacks any excitement value.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2010, 12:37:12 AM »
Hi, I'm shuffler, and I'm going to spam every WW1 thread.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech