Author Topic: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.  (Read 6984 times)

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
Re: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
"It's the pilot, not the plane." is uttered most by above average to uber sticks.  If I (a mediocre plebe) encounters a similarly skilled fellow operating a Rainbow 16, that statement no longer applies.  F4Us are also very dangerous planes (though they take some ammount of skill).
It's more than just the pilot.  Otherwise, we would see a long procession of double digit kills in P-40Bs landed in the text buffer.

alot of double didgit sorties are done with uber highspeed rides flown by timid pilots who only care about rank.  kinda hard to run in a p40  :rolleyes:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
alot of double didgit sorties are done with uber highspeed rides flown by timid pilots who only care about rank.  kinda hard to run in a p40  :rolleyes:
But I thought it was the pilot, not the plane?  ;)
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Lets compromise on the spit16.

HiTech adds a clipped wing Spitfire L.F Mk VB and reduce the perk on the spit14 to 4 or eliminates it entirely.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
Actually the lack of evidence of Spit XVI in actual combat may not be a reason to remove it. It may give justification for adding the Gloster Meteor.  :D

Good thinking sir  :aok

froger
frogs are people too

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »
Lets compromise on the spit16.

HiTech adds a clipped wing Spitfire L.F Mk VB and reduce the perk on the spit14 to 4 or eliminates it entirely.

Eliminates the spit14, or the perk?

Just askin'  :devil
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
good find banzzai :aok

SM284   LFXVI      CBAF   M266   8MU 28-10-44 421S 28-12-44 412S 24-5-45 402S 23-6-45 to 6637M at 612S 10-2-49
SM392   LFXVI         M266   9MU 9-11-44 421S 28-12-44 83GSU 26-7-45 SOC 12-9-45
SM411   LFXVIe         M266   MU 19-11-44 ? 421S 83GSU 103FRS 3CAACU BoB film later 7242M Extant Poland

interestingly Ed Mann's bird was used in the BoB film :)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:19:38 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2010, 08:21:53 AM »
If I (a mediocre plebe) encounters a similarly skilled fellow operating a Rainbow 16, that statement no longer applies.

But that is not what the typical "Perk the Spit 16" debate is about.

It is commonly said that the plane is sooooo good that a 2 weeker can go around killing people with impunity which is total horse hockey, never the less that is the argument brought forth.

"Perk the Spit 16" threads are usually started by those who consistently get their arse handed to them by a Spit 16 and think that by perking the Spit 16, they won't have to deal with it anymore ... what they don't realize is that if it is perked, they will be back here asking to "Perk the Spit 8" (which is just about as deadly as the Spit 16) or maybe the "Perk the La-7" threads will become common again.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:41 AM »
...what they don't realize is that if it is perked, they will be back here asking to "Perk the Spit 8" (which is just about as deadly as the Spit 16).

Disagree.

The 8 has the same weakness of all standard-wing Spitfires; poor rate of roll.  That can be exploited.

The 16 has no weakness to exploit.  It does everything at 95%.  That's the issue.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
Disagree.

The 8 has the same weakness of all standard-wing Spitfires; poor rate of roll.  That can be exploited.

Quoted for truth.  The 8 suffers severely in high speed dives as far as mushiness of controls.  It requires a lot more rudder and throttle input to get the most out of her.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 09:58:04 AM »
I disagree... 8 is every bit just as lethal. Even has better turn rate. Nobody's using them for their rate of roll unless they're stick stirring these days.

As for high-speed dives, they seem to handle about the same to me. They have nearly identical power curves, rates of climbs, turn rates, killing ability.

The 8 actually has the upper hand, as far as manuverability AND range go, so it's probably the more lethal option when it comes down to it.

Can't discuss perking the 16 without discussing it on the 8.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 10:03:50 AM »
I disagree... 8 is every bit just as lethal. Even has better turn rate. Nobody's using them for their rate of roll unless they're stick stirring these days.

As for high-speed dives, they seem to handle about the same to me. They have nearly identical power curves, rates of climbs, turn rates, killing ability.

The 8 actually has the upper hand, as far as manuverability AND range go, so it's probably the more lethal option when it comes down to it.

Can't discuss perking the 16 without discussing it on the 8.

First let me preface my argument with the fact that I prefer the 8 over the 16, and think that perking either is a bad idea.  I agree in it's element the 8 is a better bird.

The only thing I disagree with you on Krusty is the high speed dive.  Nose down sometime in both planes, and try to turn/roll out of the dive.  The 16 can easily roll out of a dive at high speed, where an 8 really does have a sluggish control surfaces at high speed.  Like flying through molasses Sir. The 16 simply recovers better in a high speed dive.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Disagree.

The 16 has no weakness to exploit.  It does everything at 95%.  That's the issue.

I said ... "which is just about as deadly as the Spit 16" ... key word "about".

I spent years in the Spit V and for the life of me, I don't remember it's roll rate as being poor ... at least for the type of fights I got into ... it was it's roll rate that won many fights for me.

I didn't, and still don't fight in a Spit 5/8/9 at "high speed" ... that's not it's game. What I do is get them to bring their speed down into the Spit 5/8/9's sweet spot and that's when they pay the price.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
The only thing I disagree with you on Krusty is the high speed dive.  Nose down sometime in both planes, and try to turn/roll out of the dive.  The 16 can easily roll out of a dive at high speed, where an 8 really does have a sluggish control surfaces at high speed.  Like flying through molasses Sir. The 16 simply recovers better in a high speed dive.

But that was the impetus for developing the "clipped wing" ... so yeah ... you can't compare, but on the other hand, you shouldn't be doing high speed pursuits or high speed dogfighting in a Spit 5/8/9 against planes that are better suited for that type of engagement.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2010, 11:02:45 AM »
how did this turn into another perk/moan about the XVI thread? :rolleyes:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
how did this turn into another perk/moan about the XVI thread? :rolleyes:

:rofl Don't all spitfire threads.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54