Author Topic: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.  (Read 6993 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:39 PM »
"Actually the lack of evidence of (insert name of aircraft deployed to squadrons by VJ
day) in actual combat may not be a reason to remove it. "

IMO the folks in the community who made this "line in the sand" as to what should
or should not be modeled in AH is an absolute crock.   

If it was deployed to squadrons for use, such as the sweet Spixteen, then be grateful
someone modeled it for your (your = you, the reader, not anyone in particular) use online.
The line in the sand was "it saw combat" and at some point some people claimed it was "saw air to air combat" in order to argue against certain airframes.  It was just combat though, doesn't matter what kind of combat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
If you like your plane to get kills for you then yes it is.....just like the F4U.

:devil

Oh my god you didn't just compare the p**fire16 to any F4U did you???? Please the F4U takes more skill than any dweeby spitfire (reference would be for any Spitfire over the Spitfire I). Real cartoon airplane drivers fly the Corsair....
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
F4U is easier than the Spitfire.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
F4U is easier than the Spitfire.
hmmmmm, I've always thought the Spitfire was more like the bubble-headed chick in the hottest new urban lounge waiting to be picked-up, not a real challenge to do and lots of guys have done it with her already;  whereas the F4u is more like the independent Harley riding chick at the local biker dive bar, not hard to pick-up but you definitely need to impress her to have half a chance.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:59:12 PM by vonKrimm »

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 08:53:44 PM »
Oh my god you didn't just compare the p**fire16 to any F4U did you???? Please the F4U takes more skill than any dweeby spitfire (reference would be for any Spitfire over the Spitfire I). Real cartoon airplane drivers fly the Corsair....
Ahh Mk XIV can be a nasty wench to master... just saying
See Rule #4

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »
Ahh Mk XIV can be a nasty wench to master... just saying
nasty wench to master? try wrestling an alligator if ur under 20k
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »
hmmmmm, I've always thought the Spitfire was more like the bubble-headed chick in the hottest new urban lounge waiting to be picked-up, not a real challenge to do and lots of guys have done it with her already;  whereas the F4u is more like the independent Harley riding chick at the local biker dive bar, not hard to pick-up but you definitely need to impress her to have half a chance.
Nope, the F4U is the strung out on meth chick and the the Spitfire is the classy lady who is sure of herself.  :P

( FYI, I am joking, they are both great warbirds and I like them as they are)
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 10:30:14 PM »
Nope, the F4U is the strung out on meth chick and the the Spitfire is the classy lady who is sure of herself.  :P

( FYI, I am joking, they are both great warbirds and I like them as they are)

Strung out on meth? Naw more like the crazy chick that will do your brains out , then burn your house down, because you didn't send flowers fast enough.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »
I disagree... 8 is every bit just as lethal. Even has better turn rate. Nobody's using them for their rate of roll unless they're stick stirring these days.

As for high-speed dives, they seem to handle about the same to me. They have nearly identical power curves, rates of climbs, turn rates, killing ability.

The 8 actually has the upper hand, as far as manuverability AND range go, so it's probably the more lethal option when it comes down to it.

Can't discuss perking the 16 without discussing it on the 8.

nope,

me thinks da 16 does a whole lot more and will (because of roll rate) OM the 8 all day long when flown corectly. far as the perk thing goes, i believe there are plenty of older birds (non perked) that if flown right will bust up the 8/16 party quite well.
 guess it all depends on where yer at and how yer flyin.

im just sayin
froger
frogs are people too

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »

what do you mean by impress her....like... meth n tequila ?

frogs are people too

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:45 AM »
Oh Danny-Boy ... you could have bet the ranch that it would have come to ... "Perk the Spit 16".

Yeah, it was dumb of me. I got caught up in the 602-603 histories and the question just hit me so I figured I'd throw it out there. 

Maybe the best thing to do is beg HTC to rename it the Spitfire LFIXe and be done with it.  For those of us who suggested using the designation Spitfire XVIe instead just for variety apologize again to HTC for the inconvenience and the lack of Spitfire history knowledge shown by the majority of Aces High users.

And no this was never meant to be a perk the XVI thread.  Just quit whining about em and shoot em down.  It's just not that hard.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:33 AM »
Yeah, it was dumb of me. I got caught up in the 602-603 histories and the question just hit me so I figured I'd throw it out there.  

Maybe the best thing to do is beg HTC to rename it the Spitfire LFIXe and be done with it.  For those of us who suggested using the designation Spitfire XVIe instead just for variety apologize again to HTC for the inconvenience and the lack of Spitfire history knowledge shown by the majority of Aces High users.

And no this was never meant to be a perk the XVI thread.  Just quit whining about em and shoot em down.  It's just not that hard.

Sure if you don't mind leaving little pieces of your plane all over the place.. Uh, oh... well... never mind   :D  :bolt:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2010, 01:26:55 AM »
To continue in this thread you need to identify the Spitfires correctly

What type Spitfire is this one ?

What type of Spitfire is this?

How bout this Spitfire?

And this one?

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2010, 01:49:17 AM »
#1 is an LF.IXe or XVI.

#2 is an LF.IX....I think

#3 is most likely an LF.IXe

#4 is an LF.IX

#5 is an LF.IX  (I don't recall any XVI's going to the Russians)

#6 is an LF.IX

#7 is an VIII, most likely an LF

To be perfectly honest, I don't know of any way to tell an LF.IXe from a Mk XVI just by looking at it. I'd have to look up serial numbers to be sure.   #7 was particularly easy though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2010, 01:57:51 AM »
You can't tell an XVI from an IX without knowing the serial ranges. That's the point.  Same bird.

1 is a Full span wing Spitfire LFXVIe

2 is a clipped wing Spitfire LFIXe

3 Is a full span wing Spitfire LFIXe

4 is a clipped wing Spitfire LFXVIe

5 is a clipped wing Spitfire LFIXe

6 is a full span wing Spitfire LFIXe

7 is a clipped wing Spitfire LFVIII

THey all pretty much look the same and perform the same as they are all using the same engine, either the Rolls Merlin 66 or the Packard Merlin 266
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters