Author Topic: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.  (Read 6985 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Your Spitfire XVI quiz question of the day.
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
Notice I was not advocating a perk in this thread. I was trying to keep my thoughts out of that topic. I was just stating that (logically) you can't separate the two plane types if you start talking about perking 1, the other, or neither. They are, essentially, the same plane with minor variations.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Lets compromise on the spit16.

HiTech adds a clipped wing Spitfire L.F Mk VB and reduce the perk on the spit14 to 4 or eliminates it entirely.

OOOPSies.....sorry ment eliminate the spit14 perk entirely. UNPerk the spit14 in the vernaculare.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 11:23:36 AM »
perk der spitensexteen!  It b ub3r!  how i knowz this?  cuz i gots ramtarted by a B-38 2day & it dead & i lifed to lanz me killz even tho both of us pee-lots got collideds.

:neener:

Fight Like a Girl

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
I figured as much bustr just being facetious.  :devil
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
Damn someone beat me too it...

Found another one though

A Spitfire XVI (TB752/KH-Z) of No 403 Sqn RCAF claimed a Bf109 on April 21 1945 near Schnackenburg.  Apparently that airframe went on to claim a 2nd and 3rd victory before the end of the war.  This is according to Osprey Publishing's American Spitfire Aces.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mLJcA6hGWvkC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=Spitfire+XVI+victory+claim&source=bl&ots=0QmnqmAx5T&sig=UVR3mdPw3YbqmHHGkfAHa7mUeKs&hl=en&ei=9FiiS9-eC4u-sgPU-MCMBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Spitfire%20XVI%20victory%20claim&f=false

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 12:04:02 PM »
But that was the impetus for developing the "clipped wing" ... so yeah ... you can't compare, but on the other hand, you shouldn't be doing high speed pursuits or high speed dogfighting in a Spit 5/8/9 against planes that are better suited for that type of engagement.

I concur Slapshot.  Bringing the cons into your zone of best performance is the best way to fight the 8.  Darn my squaddies but there is always one of them that gets in deep and I have to dive my Spit 8 several thousand feet to help em out.  :lol  That is when you see the above mentioned high speed sluggy behavior.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
how did this turn into another perk/moan about the XVI thread? :rolleyes:

No clue.  I was just asking if anyone could find any documented XVI air to air kills.  I couldn't.  I knew that it was employed in the ground attack role with 2 TAF as was the LFIXe.  I was just curious as if there were any air to air, it had to be few as the Luftwaffe had just about disappeared by that time.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »
If you like your plane to get kills for you then yes it is.....just like the F4U.

Last time I checked, none of the planes in the game maneuver or fire the guns without pilot input.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
Coincidence... or something more?

Hans:       Ze Indians haf ziz airquaft zat iz like UFO!
Herman:   Ja, I haf zeen it.  Retainz E as zo ze gravity und atmozphere did not exist!
Hans:      Vat do ve do!?!?!
Herman:   Im not going up zer again.
Hans:      Focke it.  Neizer am I.  I sink ve should surrender.
Herman:   Ja.  I haf zwei kinders!  Make ze call...

:::ringringring:::

Hitler:     ...Allo?

That is just funny chit  :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 01:25:32 PM »
did the spit16 kill any luffwafen guys or not? i'm comfused  :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:30 PM »
did the spit16 kill any luffwafen guys or not? i'm comfused  :headscratch:

Not many, due to lack of targets.  It does appear some Canadian Spit XVI pilots did shoot down some of the rarely seen Luftwaffe types however.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »
Not many, due to lack of targets.  It does appear some Canadian Spit XVI pilots did shoot down some of the rarely seen Luftwaffe types however.
ok thnx. that's what i've got out of this so far too. Seems the 14 seen more action than 16 did. That surprises me. I always thought the spit14 came after the spixteen.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 02:05:37 PM »
ok thnx. that's what i've got out of this so far too. Seems the 14 seen more action than 16 did. That surprises me. I always thought the spit14 came after the spixteen.

Spit XIV was there before the XVI.  While the XVI was tasked with ground attack, the XIVs that went to the continent were used in the air to air role so they found more things to shoot at.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »
I concur Slapshot.  Bringing the cons into your zone of best performance is the best way to fight the 8.  Darn my squaddies but there is always one of them that gets in deep and I have to dive my Spit 8 several thousand feet to help em out.  :lol  That is when you see the above mentioned high speed sluggy behavior.

:salute

Way

I hear ya.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »
No clue.  I was just asking if anyone could find any documented XVI air to air kills.  I couldn't.  I knew that it was employed in the ground attack role with 2 TAF as was the LFIXe.  I was just curious as if there were any air to air, it had to be few as the Luftwaffe had just about disappeared by that time.

Oh Danny-Boy ... you could have bet the ranch that it would have come to ... "Perk the Spit 16".
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."