Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7085 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »
Some news in English.
http://prakkarinn.blog.is/blog/prakkarinn/entry/1034721/

Sort of a silly-looking-blond interview, however the information is mostly correct. One correction, - Katla does not "blow" like Krakatau, she is just a badass volcano under 2000 feet of Ice. And the eruption that sent the globe into cooling was not Katla, but a fissure/crater line that opened well eastbound.
Sort of chuckling about some idiots on this boards that endlessly stated about the Volcanoes contributiong to GW. They do make a print on CC, by cooling.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »
Glad to see you are doing ok so far Angus :)

I know this eruption is a result of your governments cunning plan to invade more ocean by using lava! I just hope the ocean you capture isnt in our general direction, because if it is ill fight back and email you foul words and heavy rainfalls to stop it!  :cheers:

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 03:53:08 AM »
HARRRFFF!
You have seen our plan, but not! Mt Katla will lay waste to the countries surrounding OUR fishing grounds. That is far more efficient than extending our country borders (and thereby the 200 nm fishing grounds).
On top of that, countries with failing crops will have to buy more FISH. Muhahahahaha  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »
Filthy landgrabber!!!  :mad:

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 05:38:42 AM »
Ayyye, yer slackers. I will carry on relentlessly pouring soap and cod-liver oil into the crater for some lube-work, muhaha.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »
 :furious

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 09:08:55 AM »
Hope this pic works.
Lava-fall, some 200 m. high they say. Had some pilots land outside the farm 2 days ago, they said it was spectacular.
And headed for...Norway :D

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 01:23:38 PM »
Hello again.
We are slowly hetting used to this Volcano business. There it is, I can see the fumes out the kitchen window, and at night one can see the red colour reflecting from the fumes above.
Last night, my wife, guesthouse tourists, and workers went to have a closer look. They took a bus ride to a nearby valley (bus in this case is a modded truck with drive on all wheels) in order to make the 1000 meters of climbing to be on par with the eruption.
I was at home with the kids, and plenty of little jobs to do.
And then, another fissure opened up just like that. My folks got stopped in their tracks and sent down to base. They had to wait a while, since the road back to town is dangerously close to the waterways of the melting ice. They returned around 2AM.
This was well photographed and filmed in the morning. A spectacularly good link is here:
http://www.ruv.is/frett/nyjar-myndir-af-gosstodvunum
(click on the links in blue)
Pictures from aircraft. They normally circle the area at around 7000 feet, while the eruption is about 3000 feet. The wind and the mountain side (the mountain top is at about 5.500 feet high) along with the rising air from the hot lava make it for a bit of a bumpy ride. Some ultralight pilots have been playing with the devil by going a lot lower, as well as helicopter tours actually land close by and give the passengers a 10-minute walk.
One ultralight did bite the dust so far due to downstream (AFAIK), but no harm to the pilot.
Anyway, enjoy the footage!

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
Really cool video there. :aok
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2010, 04:49:30 PM »
MORE!
The language is Icelandic, but nevermind, - the footage is very good!
http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2010/04/01/mallar_afram_naestu_vikurnar/?ref=fphelst

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
just saw your volcano on the news here in los angeles Angus,
looks like a weenie roast to me.

hope yer ok sir  :aok

:salute froger
frogs are people too

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
This one is a tourist volcano, and can go on for quite a while. Not a "dangerous" one, so  people can actually go see with very little risk.
However, the triggering for the neighbour volcano (Mt. Katla)  seems to be a historically based fact, - and that one is one bad bad bad baddie lady.
KATLA has the potential of emitting a floodwave of water, ice, VERY big ice, and mud&slush with the flow of Mississippi, Amazon and Yang-tse (yellow river China) all put together on a rainy day, - into the waterways leading to the sea. This will cause some wave in the N-Atlantic, but not like a tsunami. The whole deal happens in hours.
The biggest lava eruption on earth since there was civilization, happened as well in this country, - 1783-1786. But our "naughty" volcano has a more volumous score of emissions of ashes and perhaps gases on record.
The high ashes & gases will travel the earth within 48 hours. The gases, depending on their volumes and general properties, will wobble about. Some will rise and blur out the sun a bit, - even globally. Some will travel wih the lower winds.
Ashes may fall anywhere in Iceland as well as in other coutries (the finer form), such as the UK and Mainland Europe. Just depends on the weather.
The general impact of a big dirtbomb like Mt. "Katla" produced is a downfall in close-by agriculture as well as a bigger area suffering. The gases mainly cool out solar effect (sulphur reflecting as well as clouds blocking solar heat). And that means global cooling at the end of the day.
Froger...that was a wee info for you. And at the end of this comment, - I confirm that I see the eruption again from my window....

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 12:19:55 AM »
News update.
Yesterday the eruption stopped. However a new one just started, and this time under the glacial cap it seems. I already have the first evacuee in the house.
Morning will reveal what is happening, since it is dark and foggy and the eruption cannot be seen, merely measured (quakes).
I'll pass news and try to link some nice pictures as time goes on.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »
Great videos!   Your volcano reminds me of that very old scifi movie called "The crack in the world"...
Good thing those type of eruptions are the more gentle, slower kind, huh!  We have our volcanos here as well!  Artesian wells, and hot springs, occasional earthquakes, are all reminders of what is under the ground... And then we have the cascade megathrust fault 20miles west under the pacific ocean... It hasen't rocked since about 1700, and it's way overdue! And with the many quakes to the south in California, and the pretty big ones that have hit Alaska, all on the same plate boundary, USGS says, that it seems that this is the sticking point, right here where I'm sitting!!!  Oh lucky me, says I, with a one eyebrow lifted, Mister Spock look!
Sitting here, between the Olympic mountains, and the Pacific Ocean, I've finally found my place in paradise, and keep thinking about the book title, "Paradise Lost", Hmmmmmmm!

Hope my Kharma is good, LOL!
RC
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:46:08 AM by RipChord929 »
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member