Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7088 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:11:47 PM »
That is true. I cannot yet see the glare, but that will apparently soon be cured.
Just filled the house with evacuees (friends) at 4 AM
Link here
http://www.ruv.is/frett/information-eruption
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 11:18:31 PM »
Wow that is kinda cool and scary all at the same time there Angus. Stay safe.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:53 PM »
Yes, stay safe Angus, and remember when in doubt get out. a volcano is nothing to take lightly.

Fifteen miles is to close for my comfort. I remember when St. Helens erupted it messed things up for many, many miles around.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 11:22:23 PM »
Be safe man.  I know Iceland is known for it volcanic activity, so is this the first time this volcano by you has erupted?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »
You're a good friend & neighbor to take evacuees in. :) Be safe!
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »
Yes, stay safe Angus, and remember when in doubt get out. a volcano is nothing to take lightly.

Fifteen miles is to close for my comfort. I remember when St. Helens erupted it messed things up for many, many miles around.

And ain't it great to know that something like a quarter of the Western Lower 48 is sitting right smack on top of one of the biggest frelling time bombs in the world? If Yellowstone were to ever go up it'd probably take half the country with it.

Stay safe, Angus. Like SIK said: Don't hesitate to get out if it turns bad.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 02:30:51 AM »
And ain't it great to know that something like a quarter of the Western Lower 48 is sitting right smack on top of one of the biggest frelling time bombs in the world? If Yellowstone were to ever go up it'd probably take half the country with it.
Yeah and I think that I was watching something about it that said it was overdue to erupt, but most likely it won't happen in any of our lifetimes.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 02:47:42 AM »

I wont say take it, more like bury it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 03:03:46 AM »

If Yellowstone goes it most possibly puts the whole planet to 'nuclear winter' meaning close extinction for us. So the ones that blow up with it are actually the lucky ones.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:03:34 AM »
A little update.
This is a modest volcanoe and last erupted in 1821. It is however located under a glacier, hence the precautions, - all living in the possible path of the melting water get evacuated. It was odd to have my friends and neighbours showing up with their bedclothes and dogs!
The worse part is however that another dormant one rests close to this one, Mt Katla, and she is overdue. That is a bad bad volcanoe, erupts powerfully and delivers a river of icebergs and melting water which equals 3x the capacity of the Amazone on a rainy day. That one is about 35 miles from me. In case of her going off, I will also have to evacuate :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katla
Everything went smoothly last night, the system worked, and it was a good thing that there was a drill 4 years ago to iron out the bugs in the evacuation process.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 05:26:41 AM »
Man sounds like it could get really bad there, and not only do you have to worry about lava & ash, you have to worry about floods, I hope everything works out.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:42 AM »
Angus, glad all was well.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 10:26:54 PM »
Just saw this video online about it, it's really kinda amazing looking, seeing a volcano erupt under a glacier, just hopefully nobody gets hurt or loses property.

http://www.comcast.net/video/hundreds-flee-icelandic-volcano/1446939926/Comcast/1445306753/

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
If the big one lets go, make sure you hang your clothes outside for a free steam cleaning :)
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:59:06 AM »
Holy crap! I hope you are planning for a worst case scenario and have everything precious packed for evacuation. I'm not talking about your TV or computer. Stay safe!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.