Author Topic: Icon Philosophy - Approach  (Read 8918 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Icon Philosophy - Approach
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
Lawman, it's no enemy icons...not no icons period. No big deal, other people have made the same mistake in reading...just making sure you understand the context.

And with no enemy icons in the MAs it would not matter rook, bish, knits...if it doesn't have a green identifier on it, try to shoot it down. At least that's what the OP proposed initially have happen on at least 1 server, not including the AvA.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:57:59 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2010, 01:58:12 PM »
No, I went from seeing windows to clearly reading numbers. I am not surprised you don't understand the difference.

The answers to both questions is the same; 1000 feet. No go try to read the numbers on the P-51 tail in AH at 1000 feet or 300 yards or so. If you can see them at all.

Question 1: You are flying #2 in "Trail" position (60 degree cone aft) at what distance are the numbers on the vertical stablizer "easily visible but not readable"?
All answer distances are in FEET.

A. 250'
B. 500'
C. 750'
D. 1000'
E. 1250'

I think maybe you should read what you post clearly before replying about it.

The math indicates 10 inch numbers would be visible but not readable at 1432 feet. The distance they are readable would be considerably shorter. The math also indicates 12 inch windows would not be visibly discernible at 12,152 feet from any clock position.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2010, 02:02:55 PM »
if you can not identify the enemy aircraft, specifically, and think there is no need to.. then I guess you are not interested in fighting or knowing which way to fight your unidentified enemy aircraft.......... you are only interested in either "picking the enemy off" without fear of a fight or you are running from a potential fight.......

that is how I decipher your:
true immersion feeling indeed  :aok

Sorry, let me clarify, I didn't mean the enemy aircraft type. only the specific aircraft.

In the AvA there are usually only a couple of different types, and so far I have been able to discern that fairly well.

But that's what they're doing. They're not competitive under normal settings. Then they want change the settings because they believe it will benefit them more than others. Cherry pickers dream...

You are wrong, no matter how many times you infer this. It's not about advantage, I just happen to think it is fun and more immersive.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:08:47 PM by jimson »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
According to the math ....This is the same math that says you can't see 12 inch diameter windows at 2 nautical miles.

This is where you're wrong.

You're trying to base what a human eye can see on mathematics. It may be nice for cameras with glass-based optics, or digital zooms, or a number of other things, but it's not the same as with human eyesight, which is analog.

The math and science is all academic when it boils down to the simple fact that the majority of folks in the know have already answered your question.

P.S. Gyrene has no clue what he's talking about.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »
In the AvA there are usually only a couple of different types, and so far I have been able to discern that fairly well.

At what distance?

Make a simple test. Take note at what distance you can actually recognize the type of the aircraft (ie spit or 109). Yeah, less than 1k.
In real life, even with my less than perfect vision, I can see the type at  6,000 to 8,000 ft at least, which is more than twice of distance in AH.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
P.S. Gyrene has no clue what he's talking about.
I'm guessing you base your authoritative narration on time spent playing AW and AH, or some such nonsense? All that tells me is you don't get out of the house enough to actually observe the real world.

The only thing you have been absolutely correct on in regards to me is the advice to turn tracers off...it's a little better in that I don't rely on the "walking the rounds in" but, by using the default gun sights...it's not as easy to judge proper firing angle outside of 300yds.
jarhed  

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »

Those who want considerable change must have an agenda of some kind, or they didn't put much thoughts into that one.

In all fairness, I had this in mind for some time with considerable thought on the change on dynamics of a fight, without the knowledge of this request ever being made on the BBS before this.  Yes, the agenda was to try it in special events at least but I wanted to discuss it.  I don't think that is so bad is it?

Two quick points:

- Turning icons off only for yourself doesn't really address the immersion issue.  Unless your opponent also is faced with the same handicap, you've simply unbalanced the competition in his favor.

- oldman

This thread was not about personal choice of icons nor abour forcing an idea onto people here.  Just a discussion and I think Oldmans quote is perfect.

At least it is not a B-29 request or discussion.... :aok
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
At what distance?

Make a simple test. Take note at what distance you can actually recognize the type of the aircraft (ie spit or 109). Yeah, less than 1k.
In real life, even with my less than perfect vision, I can see the type at  6,000 to 8,000 ft at least, which is more than twice of distance in AH.
I certainly wouldn't dispute that. For me personally, the fun and excitement the set-up adds (once again, for me personally) outweighs having to get much closer in range to make the ID than one would in real life.

For me it's a feel thing, I can realize that in reality, it is not more realistic than an icon on setting, it just feels that way. (to me)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:53:40 PM by jimson »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
The issue with it in the MA is that you wouldn't be able to ID a plane enemy or friendly with certainty until it is very close.

Sure you can.... one side gets the brewster.... one the c47 and the other side gets jeeps.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »
In all fairness, I had this in mind for some time with considerable thought on the change on dynamics of a fight, without the knowledge of this request ever being made on the BBS before this.  Yes, the agenda was to try it in special events at least but I wanted to discuss it.  I don't think that is so bad is it?

I wasn't talking about you. You should have figured that one out. You still go in my black book though for starting that thread.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2010, 03:11:04 PM »
I wasn't talking about you. You should have figured that one out. You still go in my black book though for starting that thread.

Oh I see, how can I repay you then?  Did you want to shoot me up in the DA then?  :D
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
But that's what they're doing. They're not competitive under normal settings. Then they want change the settings because they believe it will benefit them more than others. Cherry pickers dream...

You know this because you have flown against Jimson and Gyrene and me and others who enjoy the no icons settings, and have found us not competitive?  Or do you just surmise that there must be some ulterior and nefarious motive to support such a change?

You're absolutely correct, the AvA is a great testing arena for this and we'll see how it works out in the long run.  Perhaps we'll even see you in there.

- oldman

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity, what type of settings are  you running? I can easily differentiate between Spitfires and 109's past 3k-4k.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2010, 03:47:03 PM »
Without maximum zoom angle while holding your zoomed view on a fixed target? I cry foul.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2010, 04:01:52 PM »
Without maximum zoom angle while holding your zoomed view on a fixed target? I cry foul.
I think Motherland is using a little better settings than I am and he is much better versed in plane identification than me but using about 3/4 zoom I can clearly determine a plane type between 2k and 3k yards.
jarhed