Author Topic: What do you consider 'skill'?  (Read 6245 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
What do you consider 'skill'?
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »
Imo, some players think 1v1 skill is the end all be all and negate other very important factors.  Here are the most important skills that will dictate 'success' which in itself is a subjective term:

1v1 Ability:
Practicing 1v1s will obviously teach you ACM in a very controlled environment which can then be applied to more dynamic MA situations.  Imo 1v1 takes the most fundamental ACM knowledge to be successful at, but isn't necessarily the most important skill in the MA in being successful.  Being a 1v1 artist doesn't necessarily mean you can handle a 1vX, since a 1v1 requires no global awareness other than the fight at hand.

Aiming:
Probably just as important as ones ability to 1v1 is how well you can aim.  Think of situations where you start off in a 1v1 with an enemy on the fray of icon range.  You miss a couple easy shots and all of a sudden it's a 2v1.  You kill the first guy on your third try but now the other con has you saddled and dead to rights.  Had you killed that bogey on the first try, you would have been able to engage the 2nd con when he was 3k out.  Getting ganged in the MA is directly correlative to one's failure to dispose of threats in a situation they deemed safe.  The speed at which you eliminate threats in the MA will ultimately dictate if you get ganged.

Situation Awareness:
(a)
This is the most instinctual and experience based skill set of them all.  Decision making in a multi plane environment.  With every decision made comes Risk/Reward.  Reward can be defined as a kill, risk defined as death.  Accurate risk/reward assessment is something that can only come with experience.  Aggression can also be defined as ones decision based on their risk/reward assessment.  For example, if one engages four cons despite deciding he has less than a 10% chance of survival, this would be insanely aggressive.  On the other side of the coin, if one avoids an engagement because he has a 10% chance of death, this would be insanely passive.  All of these variables can be juggled into maximizing an individuals killing efficiency.
(b)
Another important aspect of SA, the rate at which you check your views.  How many times/minute do you check all your views?  This number is directly correlative to how clear your understanding of your surrounding is.  You can never check your views too often and if you consistently are missing threats, you need to increase the rate at which you check your views.

Teamwork:
How well does one set up bogeys for his allies and how well does he use his allies for easy kills?  You could call this being an 'opportunist', knowing the exact time to engage a con when he is clearly preoccupied or in an very unfavorable position, but this is actually a skill, being able to see this stuff.  

Boom and Zoom:
How well does one retain advantage against overwhelming odds below him?  Anybody can dive in and kill someone, but I evaluate one's B&Z ability in being able to kill bogeys below while being able to keep an advantage over the swarm.  Diving in, turning, and getting ganged would be an extremely poor use of this altitude advantage.

Dogfighting:
Being able to stay alive in a dogfight where multiple cons are trying to turn/B&z you.  I would argue this skill is actually the pinnacle of being versatile in all other sets, 1v1, Aiming, SA, all of which are equally important to being adequate in this skill.  You can be a great 1v1 pilot but end up ultimately being inadequate in a dogfight due to lack of SA or aim.  There's nothing great about saddling up a bogey just to get picked by one you didn't see.

These are the skills of a fighter as I see them in the MA.  Imo, the ones who are most versatile in all the skills listed are the better pilots, not just being great in any one category.  What do you consider in defining one's skill?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:14:30 PM by grizz441 »

Offline -pjk--

• Nickel Member
Re: What do you consider 'skill'?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
I have allways been skilles.
Mostly flying lonewolf.

Looking safe kill  for start and then fly and kill as many a have ammo and hopefully land.
Timid 109k flying is my way(as you have stated) , maybe right you are.
Ääliö älä lyö ööliä läikkyy!!

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
I think your last point about staying alive in the dogfight is an over all reflection on all other points, if you can do that you need to be skilled in all aspects, so  :cheers: to those of you that can do it consistently.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »
The ability to log on, night after night and have fun without diminishing another's.

That is a skill worth respecting.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:26:20 PM »

Diving in, turning, and getting ganged would be an extremely poor use of this altitude advantage.

LEROY JENKINS!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 07:28:08 PM by BillyD »
*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »

1v1 Ability:

Aiming:

Situation Awareness:

Teamwork:

Boom and Zoom:
Dogfighting:

:(

I got none of those
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:54 PM »
The ability to log on, night after night and have fun without diminishing another's.

Amen
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 07:36:01 PM »
In my opinion each of those areas have their own skill factors and can't be put in the same barrel...unless of course you are looking at an overall of this particular game...and those like it....then how do you measure the skill....that is easy...the person who can play the game to it's fullest and this show via the score....however...you have separated each area and this then comes down to the specific factors of each area....how you define skill for these is hard...each person has their own Idea...if there were exacting standards then this would become easier...

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »

For some people, logging on and flying around is good enough, and that's fine.  For others who are more competitive, there is a motivation to perform at a high level.  Personally, I find it more enjoyable to shoot down more bad guys than shoot me down, but that's just how I have fun because I am competitive :)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 07:44:12 PM »
In my opinion each of those areas have their own skill factors and can't be put in the same barrel...unless of course you are looking at an overall of this particular game...and those like it....then how do you measure the skill....that is easy...the person who can play the game to it's fullest and this show via the score....however...you have separated each area and this then comes down to the specific factors of each area....how you define skill for these is hard...each person has their own Idea...if there were exacting standards then this would become easier...

The reason you can put them together is because despite all our attempts to localize to our strengths, the amount of unknowns in the MA always forces us into tricky spots that only a versatile pilot will be able to manage effectively.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »
As was pointed out to me by Drewster after I shot him and his 2 buddies down in a 3v1, I have no skill.  As such, whatever I consider to be skill is a moot point since I lack the basic qualifications to pontificate as to what I consider to be skill.  Maybe one day if I ever achieve such a level that can be considered to be 'skillful' will I be able to enter into this debate.  I have a feeling though that I will never achieve these heights in my lifetime.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
Of all those skillsets, Situation Awareness is maybe the most complex and somewhat vague, because it combines several abilities or "skills"
For example there is the immediate tacical sitation, but also the overall "battle", or "map awareness" for things happening outside your immediate vicinity. The boundaries between those are fluid

For myself, I have come to the terms situational awareness and "battle intelligence"
The former is tracking of all enemy & friendly cons, checking your six, creating a inner picture of the fight. This is an ability I'm lacking very much, because I have big problems thinking truly 3-dimensional. Once I take away my eyes from a con it's almost as if I knew nothing about him. That's why I truly suck in a fight vs multiple enemies. I have to concentrate on one, and that is what kills me.

On the other hand, I'm quite good in judging the bigger picture: How is this particular battle going, what altitude will the enemy probably be at, what's the best way out when things go wrong, what's the particular strength of my plane in this situation, where is this enemy mission going to that has a darbar 3 sectors back, where can I meet it and at what altitude, and so on.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
What is skill?

Anything or anyone besides me.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:58:30 PM »
You forgot a very important one I think. The computer. Sure one needs great hand/eye coordination, knowledge of BFMs and must be smart, but having a sporty rig don't hurt either.  :)
Lighten up Francis

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
I can tell the precise time of every fight that my plane will explode.  That's real SA skill.  :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."