Author Topic: Why BnZ is not my style  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
Why BnZ is not my style
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
I have been playing AH2 for about 2 1/2 years now and as far as I can make out BnZ is my least favourite tactic.

I would like to say that its because I am a knight of the air and like to do battle with dignity but such is not the case. It is because it is just too difficult.

WW2 Aircraft have such low tolerance to speed and G-Force that with combat you only have one chance to pull off a succesful attack.

Now the ratio changes with the aircraft your flying, the P-51 seems to be the worst choice and yet it is used by so many for this purpose. It is an unstable firing platform and compresses easily. And if that werent enough the 50's do little damage unless a decisive burst finds its mark.

The Typhoon and Tempest are the best at this role, the Hispano cannons have brilliant ballistics and do tonnes of damage with just one hit and both aircraft have high tolerence to speed and G.

So with all this in mind, why do so many follow this tactic, well my response would be that they do not know the performance of their aircraft and the little tricks assocsiated with it to fight in a turn or E battle.

So it seems that the most difficult tactic is by far the easiest.

Any thoughts?
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Re: Why BnZ is not my style
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:41 AM »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline MrMeanie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »
IN
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:08:18 AM »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:09:55 AM »
How do you figure the P-51 has poor handling at speed?  So far as I have been able to tell, the P-51D is quite probably the best piston engined fighter as far as handling at very high speeds goes.  Certainly I've never had a compression problem with it.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:16 AM »
 so the guy wants to know what people think and all he gets is flamed by the so called vets....

that's nice, why help him out when you can just flame away .....

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:47:59 AM by froger »
frogs are people too

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:04 AM »
Any thoughts?

lay off the moonshine!  :P
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:39:21 AM »
the P-51 .... It is an unstable firing platform and compresses easily. And if that werent enough the 50's do little damage unless a decisive burst finds its mark.

Any thoughts?

Uhhh... I disagree with all of the above except.... "your thoughts?"
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:07:37 AM »
BnZ done propperly is not a one of pass or picking someone who is low and slow already engaged, imho BnZ is all about calculated angles of attack to knock your oppenents E state down, and to herd/move him into a postion you want to get a guns solutions. Most first time passes do very really result in a kill anyway.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:05 AM »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
The way I use BnZ is like a club, I pound my opponent down and down and down.  I force him to convert his altitude into E in order to dodge me, eventually he either tries to hang onto too much E or he runs out of "down" and I bleed him of the rest of his E and kill him.  You can't do that if you are not aggressive as the target will rebuild its E while you p u s s yfoot around with silly "extending".  Maintain your E advantage by not bleeding it out for low chance shots, but press the target and make him spend his E to dodge as you climb back above him only to drop back down like a hammer on his nail.  Make him bleed it out like that and soon you are rewarded with a shot that is not a low chance shot as he gets desperate and does something reckless or simply runs out of the E needed to dodge effectively.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:11:58 AM »
 :rolleyes: <---LOOK! This is me rolling my eyes. The P51 compresses easily AND is a unstable gun platform? I suggest you slow down and work on your aim there ace  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
I have no least or favorite tactic.

I use whatever tactic the situation calls for.
And thats the key. Knowing what tactic to use in a given situation
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
so the guy wants to know what people think and all he gets is flamed by the so called vets....

that's nice, why help him out when you can just flame away .....

On a serious note; when a person posts a question which is to stupid to respond to with a serious answer, trolling is the only viable option.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:03:56 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:16 AM »
     The P-51 doesn't compress easily, try a 109 or a 38 for that.  The typhoon has a tendency to nose up at
very high speeds but is very controllable.

One thing you should try is anticipate the opponent's break.  If a guy breaks left all the time, offset a little right
to allow a lower G pursuit turn.  On the other side, don't use the same tactic/evasive all the time yourself...it makes
you predictable.

The tiffy has excellent rudder response for a high initial turn rate, but bleeds E like a stuck pig so hit and git.

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars