Author Topic: TOPGUN acm  (Read 8044 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: TOPGUN acm
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 04:18:15 AM »
You are wrong. The best pilots do not make a lot of fancy moves - they actually tend to make very simple ACM, but do the correct ACM in the right time and the right way. On top of that, if you are good and know what you are doing, you will not even NEED fancy ACM.

I'd agree with this.

The best pilots don't screw up.  (much) 

They do the right move at the right time and it usually isn't very fancy.

Timing of a move is just as important as which move you do.

You could do the perfect move in a given situation but if you time it wrong you will be dead.

You can also do a "meh" move in a given situation but if you time it perfect you will kill 'em.  
(which describes my flying pretty spot on now that I think about it.  I have tended to be kinda lazy in my flying the past few years)

The only way to learn what to do and when to do it (once you learn all the basic maneuvers that is) is to get with someone that is better than you and practice, practice, practice.  Once you can beat them find someone else who is better and practice, practice, practice.  (there is always someone better)

There is no "special" move that the top pilots in AcesHigh have learned that makes them killing machines.

They generally pick the right move and pull it at the right time.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »
When the fight has begun, TIMING is the the most importent asset you can master! Throttle control, rudder assist rolls, flap management etc are all extremely importent against high quality enemies but IMHO timing is the one that takes the most experience and gives potentialy the most reward!   :aok

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:33 AM »
Hi Shreck... btw

IMO

There's like only three or four moves that are used consistently,  and they're right,  it's timing and smoothness.

SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:27 AM »
That green snuggle is right, for once.
 :D

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.
Take him low in the bushes, jump over the trees and hope he hits one before you.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
Not completely what I'm looking for still very useful stuff but again mostly just basics. Topgun isn't on this post for no reason at all. The navy got the top 1% of its best pilots. There not using to many basics that top 1%.

Absolutely untrue.  The best of the best use the same basic manouvers everyone else does.  They just use the right ones in the right combinations at the right times with some variation for use of trottle, rudder and flaps.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »
Most important thing to do is to watch him.  Try and keep him in view the whole fight, regardless of the outcome.  

The situation is a bit too vague but let's say you're in a F4U and you've picked up a Spit on your 6 at 800 and closing.  Hard break turn right and wait for him to overshoot your flightpath - that is, watch to see when he goes past your tail.  Then when he's on the outside of his turn trying to get back in plane with your turn that's when you roll back at him, which will be to the left.  With luck, he'll be pulling for a shot here and you'll wind up in a rolling scissors with a decent chance of killing him.

The problem is not all enemies do the same thing in the same situation - that's why you're always watching the con, so you can read and react.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »
What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.

I cry cuz I about to get shot down.... :huh

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:22 PM »
I think of dogfighting like 3 dimensional chess.

Knowing BFM is the equivalent of knowing how the chess pieces move, but as several have already pointed out, its knowing WHEN to make the move.  Each situation is different and has to be evaluated in real time while knowing your planes strengths/weaknesses compared to the other guy(s).

You just can't boil it down to a few 'moves'.
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
That green snuggle is right, for once.
 :D

I feel the need to return and spoon with you  ;)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 04:23:20 PM »
You are wrong. The best pilots do not make a lot of fancy moves - they actually tend to make very simple BFM, but do the correct BFM in the right time and the right way. On top of that, if you are good and know what you are doing, you will not even NEED fancy ACM.

Also, do not get too hyped over top-gun. They still do pretty basic, small scale dogfighting. It is just that the other pilots do not do even that.

I'd agree with this.

The best pilots don't screw up.  (much)

They do the right move at the right time and it usually isn't very fancy.

Timing of a move is just as important as which move you do.

The only way to learn what to do and when to do it (once you learn all the basic maneuvers that is) is to get with someone that is better than you and practice, practice, practice.  Once you can beat them find someone else who is better and practice, practice, practice.  (there is always someone better)

There is no "special" move that the top pilots in Aces High have learned that makes them killing machines.

They generally pick the right move and pull it at the right time.

:aok  I will go with the above (2) quotes already posted

also as REN always said, "Train Like You Fight, Fight Like You Train!"

another longtime favorite quote of mine, from Shaw's Book "Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering"

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't, sooner
or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass."
                                 Lieutenant Dave"Preacher"Pace, USN
                                 U.S.Navy Fighter Weapons School Instructor

practice hard, fight harder.......  good luck

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way stealth.  You are asking the wrong question.   There for you are  going to get the wrong answer.

"What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do."  - steath

You start with a generalisation, but you want specific information.   Your second question is still a generalization.   Every variable will require a differant question including specific information.        ie:   speed , plane type, alt, ect.

There is no way to answer your question with out a generalization in return.

"If some one is on your six what would youd do?"   Is the wrong question.  You need to ask . How did someone get on my six? 

<S>

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
I personally love seeing a plane doing a split S, especially if nobody is around us. What did he do? Gave me the advantage in the fight, he better be pretty good to come back and beat from a lower alt/E.

When I have a plane on my six:

Me I act dumb if I got room to do it. Depending on my aircraft(torque is key) Ill make a very shallow diving turn not pulling alot of Gs. As he comes closer and closer Im reading his nose. At about 800 out most people seem to start pulling hard into their shot, so I start turning into them a bit harder. At 600 I flip my plane and point my wingtip at my opponents nose scrubbing his shot while pulling my planes nose up. At this time you got to make a decision whether your gunna get the shot or not. If he isnt that far away from not overshooting you your going to have to do something. I normally just bring my plane around in a loop and set the same trick up again. If he clearly overshot you and is still pulling towards you, your about to get the best looking kill of your life but it is really his fault. This is where torque comes in from before if you read Grizz's post about tator aiming he says something about using your torque to roll into your shot.....this doesnt just help with tators it works with everything with torque. Look up Grizz'z thread about aiming for the rest of that kill shot.

If the guy doesnt take your bait or you miss the shot, dont be worried. Chances are hes gunna just zoom by and try to set it up again so rinse and repeat. If you miss the shot on him in the first reverse your gunna be in a scissors if the other pilot doesnt blow his E and get scared. Its most likely gunna be a vertical scissors you get in so make sure you watch which side hes rolling his plane over towards when your coming up. I go to the side of him he isnt rolling towards because I think hes blowing alot of E being upside down at a slower speed but many people tell me they go towards the side hes rolling.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
Please don't take this the wrong way stealth.  You are asking the wrong question.   There for you are  going to get the wrong answer.

"What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do."  - steath

You start with a generalisation, but you want specific information.   Your second question is still a generalization.   Every variable will require a differant question including specific information.        ie:   speed , plane type, alt, ect.

There is no way to answer your question with out a generalization in return.

"If some one is on your six what would youd do?"   Is the wrong question.  You need to ask . How did someone get on my six? 

<S>

I disagree a bit with your final question, its not a perfect world in Aces High so your gunna have someone get there sooner or later no matter what you do. I think thats the difference between the "alright" sticks and the "good" sticks. The good sticks will get that random plane off their six most of the time where as the alright stick gets shot down once someone is on their six.

BTW I know me personally I give people my six just so they will attack my plane. I know I can get them into a fight from there :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:49 PM »
You need to ask . How did someone get on my six? 

No guts, no glory!
Hence the right question is: "How do I kill that guy?"