Author Topic: TOPGUN acm  (Read 8207 times)

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
TOPGUN acm
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »
What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:27:57 AM by stealth »
My Email is ACalex88@gmail.com if you want to contact me

"I shall fear no evil, for I am 80,000 feet and climbing"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: TOPGUN acm
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:19:01 AM »
What do you think makes a person a good pilot and maybe post some pictures of maneuvers for any situation.
Read the first post in the following thread.

Sums up what to shoot for succinctly.

What do you consider skill
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »
post deleted

lute beat me by 24 seconds
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:21:26 AM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:43 AM »
Read the first post in the following thread.

Sums up what to shoot for succinctly.

What do you consider skill
Yes,but that's what makes you a pilot that score boards basically what about a tactical situation that deals with maneuvers. First of all what are some maneuvers because I only know the basic stuff. I'm looking for advanced tactics,the what do you consider skill post just shows you goals and what makes you a good pilot. I'm talking about tactical combat maneuvers.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:28 AM »
this may help you out.

http://www.netaces.org/
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:40:43 AM »
this may help you out.

http://www.netaces.org/
Not completely what I'm looking for still very useful stuff but again mostly just basics. Topgun isn't on this post for no reason at all. The navy got the top 1% of its best pilots. There not using to many basics that top 1%.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:56 AM »
What are some combat tactical maneuvers that would prepare you for any situation in a dogfight. For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.

Well not to be vague but there's a ton of variables. What plane is on my 6? What plane am I in? What alt? Ammo and fuel load? Where am I on the map relative to friendly and enemy bases? E states?

Are the enemies close by likely to engage if I attempt reversal? If so are there friendlies nearby where we can engage and kill them all if I can get them all to engage me?

FWIW, in a  1V1, split S is a completely defensive move and not one I would go with unless I was looking to permanently disengage for some reason.  Unless I am crippled or facing a gangbang, I(and most experienced sticks) am looking for a way to kill the bad guy. I'd be using moves that help with reversal and/or negate enemy E advantage.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:54:47 AM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline stealth

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:45:21 AM »
Well anybody hear about a WWI German fighter pilot who made 10 rules.I consider them more of guidelines but still very useful stuff.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:45 AM »
Well anybody hear about a WWI German fighter pilot who made 10 rules.I consider them more of guidelines but still very useful stuff.

Dicta Boelcke?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:47:22 AM »
Is this what your looking for?

http://f15eeagle.tripod.com/manu.html

For instance what would you do if you had a plane dead on your 6 split s or something else. What do you think you should do.
In that case your pretty much screwed   :old:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:20:17 AM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:54 AM »

Boelcke?

He makes some good points but doesn't account for certain circumstances and some are not practical for gameplay.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:05 AM »
Not completely what I'm looking for still very useful stuff but again mostly just basics. Topgun isn't on this post for no reason at all. The navy got the top 1% of its best pilots. There not using to many basics that top 1%.

Don't dismiss the stuff that is posted on Netaces.org.  Some of that information, such as how to merge, energy fighting and other articles like that is exactly what you're asking for. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 02:59:36 AM »
Try reading the book No Guts No Glory by Frederick Blesse. There is a lot of good stuff in there.

If you want tactics for AH2 topgun is probably not what you want. Topgun covers tactics for heavy highspeed jets not light single engine piston driven fighters. Plus I bet the actual stuff that they teach in topgun is classified.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:05:28 AM by MachFly »
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 03:13:31 AM »
turn?
Lighten up Francis

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 03:51:24 AM »
You are wrong. The best pilots do not make a lot of fancy moves - they actually tend to make very simple ACM, but do the correct ACM in the right time and the right way. On top of that, if you are good and know what you are doing, you will not even NEED fancy ACM.

Also, do not et too hyped over top-gun. They still do pretty basic, small scale dogfighting. It is just that the other pilots do not do even that.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs