Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7052 times)

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #255 on: April 16, 2010, 07:45:17 AM »
Ok, I admit it, I'm timid - forever running away, dont fight, rarely kill anyone/anything. Its true, I'm timid

Now shaddap and get ingame ya lunatics.

Ner

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #256 on: April 16, 2010, 07:51:59 AM »
We need a Snailman graph showing the K/H of the players. I'd venture to say the over half hold a K/H which some here say is timid.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #257 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:10 AM »
How about this one:

Timid = Will not fight unless he/she has substantial advantage?

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #258 on: April 16, 2010, 08:26:18 AM »
How about this one:

or would this suffice? Timid: Will not fight unless he/she has complete advantage and will run from calls from help due to the danger of being shot?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 16, 2010, 08:34:33 AM »
We need a Snailman graph showing the K/H of the players. I'd venture to say the over half hold a K/H which some here say is timid.

I once did examine fighter scores tour 118.
80% of all player with at least one sortie in fighter mode had a K/H less than 5.0

If you set a minimum sortie requirement of 10 to weed out extreme cases of trial players just upping once or twice before quitting the game, or "vets" doing just a few vulch sorties  from CV to get a 30+ K/H, the number changes just a little. Only 20% get a K/H of 5.0 or better.
Even when I removed all players that did more than 10 sorties but never got any kills at all, the number only went up to 22%, with an average player K/H of 3.46

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: April 16, 2010, 08:44:51 AM »
Timid is the guy that runs to his field, lands and hops in a field gun waiting for a proxie kill.
Timid is the guy that flys faster then 150 IAS.
Timid is the guy that trys to evade the tracer rounds coming at him.
Timid is the guy that lands at all.
Timid is the guy that flys a C47(you know he don't want to fight).
Timid is the guy that uses more then the .45 strapped to his hip for a kill.
Timid is the guy that learns fancy moves to get a kill.
Timid is the guy that BnZs.
Timid is the guy that clears his squaddies 6.
Timid is the guy that don't clear his squaddies 6.
Timid is the guy with a K/H of 6 or less.
Timid is the guy with a K/H of 6 or more.

The rest of us are brave as hell.

Lighten up Francis

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2010, 08:46:10 AM »
Timid is the guy that runs to his field, lands and hops in a field gun waiting for a proxie kill.
Timid is the guy that flys faster then 150 IAS.
Timid is the guy that trys to evade the tracer rounds coming at him.
Timid is the guy that lands at all.
Timid is the guy that flys a C47(you know he don't want to fight).
Timid is the guy that uses more then the .45 strapped to his hip for a kill.
Timid is the guy that learns fancy moves to get a kill.
Timid is the guy that BnZs.
Timid is the guy that clears his squaddies 6.
Timid is the guy that don't clear his squaddies 6.
Timid is the guy with a K/H of 6 or less.
Timid is the guy with a K/H of 6 or more.

The rest of us are brave as hell.

Finally a definition that I can give a thumbs up! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 16, 2010, 08:49:03 AM »
or would this suffice? Timid: Will not fight unless he/she has complete advantage and will run from calls from help due to the danger of being shot?

There never will be any kind of objective criteria, because the term "timid" is a vague one on. Just like in real life, where the labels brave and timid vary enormously between ages & cultures.

On your example: I will run from a call of help if: There is no chance I can get us both out alive and the player just got himself into that situation by doing a very stupid thing. Some players will do, because they feel obligated to "die" together (dumb thing, if you ask me)... or because they simply have FUN trying to see how long they will last (more power to them I say!). But both reasons do make them more brave or less timid.

After 4.5 years, I just fly the way I fly. I will run if the chances are vastly against me, I will try to get alt vs. enemy horde to pick them off one by one, I will use ACK if I have to, I won't up from a vulched field just to feed someone with kills (ok... I actually do the last one occasionally when getting into the "stubborn" mode :D).

I have flown that way since the beginning. Subjectively I'm taking the same risk level as  when I started, objectively it has changed because I got better and have a better judgement now.

But I'm still timid :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:54:49 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #263 on: April 16, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
How about this one:

I say this would be more accurate:  Timid = Will not fight unless there is 0% risk of danger.

There is a pilot in the MW arena that flies Spitfire Mk IXs and will not engage at all, even with a significent advantage in either altitude or energy.  The only time this player will actively engage is if his target is busy fighting someone else.  This person will never engage in a 1v1 despite having an advantage because there is a very slight risk of danger.

There is also another player that is so score minded that he flies timid and will only engage bombers in fighter mode and will not engage another fighter out of fear of being shot down and ruining his fighter score/rank.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #264 on: April 16, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »
I don't understand this... perhaps you could elaborate why this is timid?

It was mostly in reference to the quote I had. I know that squad and that is how they fly, they drag out a lone con and his buddies jump the guy. Sure, great wingman tactics, but is it fun for the guy getting jumped? If its' one of those uber sticks maybe  :devil , but for us average "Joe's" it's not fun at all. Seeing this is a GAME and is suppose to be fun I think using wingman tactics on a single is being timid. I think....if they weren't timid that they could just circle and watch the single guys fight it out. Should he prevail, the next one could give it a go.

I look at this as a game, my "skill" as questionable as it is, against all comers, but not all at once. If I hook up with squadies we go looking for hordes, not single cons where it's going to be an easy kill for one of us.... wheres the fun in that.

All I'm saying, is timid is anything you might do to avoid a fight.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #265 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Timid is calling the WWI Arena lame and not spending a few days a month in that string bag meat grinder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #266 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »
TnDep, that was a little jab at Saxman for his P51 remark. He didn't take the bait, but I see you did. :)

I stand behind that statement, and here's why. We have 5 F4Us in the plane set, 2 of which are perked and each one is better then the next. They have monster props to hang on, flaps that cut their turn radius down to almost half, gear that pops to act like air brakes, and with wep, a couple models are faster on the deck then a P51 without wep, as well as 2 or 3 models have more ammo then the pony. Basically they can do everything a 51 can do, and then some, at the alts that we fight in this game.

The only thing the pony have over the corsairs is speed until you get to the F4U-4, and then it's no contest at all. The only downside I see with the corsairs is landing them without breaking the gear off.

Pony without a dought is the better Bnzer of the two hands down and the F4U overall is better.  I'd rather be in a 51 at 15 k then a F4u and I'd rather be in a F4 at 5k then the Pony.  They handle very similar at high speeds and turn rate at slow speeds is totally different.  I agree with your opinion but my ktd is no better about the same in both planes because of the flying styles.  I'm a hog pilot always have been. 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #267 on: April 16, 2010, 07:45:17 PM »
I say this would be more accurate:  Timid = Will not fight unless there is 0% risk of danger.

There is a pilot in the MW arena that flies Spitfire Mk IXs and will not engage at all, even with a significent advantage in either altitude or energy.  The only time this player will actively engage is if his target is busy fighting someone else.  This person will never engage in a 1v1 despite having an advantage because there is a very slight risk of danger.

There is also another player that is so score minded that he flies timid and will only engage bombers in fighter mode and will not engage another fighter out of fear of being shot down and ruining his fighter score/rank.

ack-ack

Buffs can be more dangerous then fighters, planes without the ability to shoot backwards are always far easier to kill. :angel:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:47:52 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: April 16, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
string bag meat grinder.

wtf is that?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #269 on: April 16, 2010, 08:07:38 PM »
Buffs can be more dangerous then fighters, planes without the ability to shoot backwards are always far easier to kill. :angel:

Bombers are only tough to shoot down for anyone that is dumb enough to come on their dead six, otherwise a bomber is just as easy to shoot down as a C-47.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song