Author Topic: Tanking wasn't as easy as I first thought it was going to be :)  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
Re: Tanking wasn't as easy as I first thought it was going to be :)
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 10:54:56 AM »
  Avoid getting too close to an enemy GV if possible. Trading shots at 20-25 k is preferable. If he starts to range you move. Sometimes at longer ranges and the higher arcs hiding under a tree will work for you to deflect incoming rounds. When approaching base try to avoid a direct line from spawn to base that's where they will be looking for you. Stay right (or Left) and you have one side to watch instead of swinging both ways.
  The more you practice the better you'll be at ranging. I find that if you see a tank that does not see you first try to over range the target because when it lands behind them they won't immediately know where it came from and you will have time for that second shot. Most of the time it's that first shot that will determin you will kill or be killed.
  GV's can be exiting!  :x
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
Good tips Slate  :aok I'm enjoying it a lot
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
I have found that picking one tank and sticking to it till you get good in it is the best thing, once you learn that one then try the different ones. Don't try to bounce from tank to tank on every sortie because every tank sights differently. Just my opinion. That and a $1.85 will get ya a cup of coffee.
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 09:52:28 AM »
well, everything I have seen so far in the gv'ing part of this is complete nonsense. No one will tell you how to shoot through the trees and no one will tell you how to shoot something you can't see. Some one said this is gamey but no one wants to tell how it's done. I asked this to a trainer and that's the best answer I got. I sat and watched a tank i tried to shoot and my round exploded on the tree his went right through it. Another guy told me you had to sit and be quiet. well, you can't sit and be quiet because as soon as you spawn you get shot. one shot boom I'm done. aggravating day gv'ing

Edited for content
i don't know how to shoot thru trees! I do however know a little about tanking in this game, if you would like  i would be happy to help you,  i am almost always on knights   find me and pm me we will get you at least set up so the mistakes you make, are your own and not the fault of the game or lack of training! i will be  on this afternoon after 2 pm central and then for most of the week, i am either in mid war or late war.   just do the   . f WWhiskey    them come on over!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 01:16:05 PM »
I feel like I'm getting alittle better but I'm no Dr7 or a few others  :aok When I first started I guess I went 20 sorties without a kill.  It was very frustrating and now I'm enjoying it a lot better but I still die more then I kill.  Learning to become more patient I believe is my main key but also knowing a good hiding place I haven't figured out yet.  Tell any tanking stories you have or give me tips :) I look forward to reading you guys posts  :salute

it's good to see somethign like this.

i still suck in tanks. probably always will.

people think in general, that they're easy to kill, when in actuality, they're not.

:aok :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

people think in general, that they're easy to kill, when in actuality, they're not.

:aok :aok

My tanks are easy to kill it seems.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »
I don't have a problem killing the other guy once I see him, but I usually just refer to them as 'that little iron box I sit in waiting to die' because they almost always see me first.  :joystick:

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:31 PM »
My tanks are easy to kill it seems.

mine are too. but that's my own fault, and no one elses.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 12:32:24 AM »
Here is another "tip" for ya, go into options, graphics, and select disable other skins, that will cause all planes and tanks to show in there default skin.

Now all Panzer's, Tiger's, and aircraft to show in their  default skin, not only will it help when trying to spot the enemy in a GV, but it will also help with your frame rate, when a plane or GV gets close enough to show the skin design the computer has to load it. So if you have the default clicked it only has to look at one instead of however many skins there are for whatever craft is coming at you, this will also help if people tell you that you are warping, less compute cycles to chew through.

I might get shot for that tid bit of info but oh well. It's my 15 bucks ain't it?  :neener:
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 06:28:56 AM »
you can do the same thing in planes as well, reguardless if it makes it alittle unrealistic to actually hear people on the vox and also to not blow your ear drum out I'm glad it is the way it is.  If it was different and I couldn't hear people talking on the vox I would quit the game.  I enjoy the conversations way more then I do playing the game.  Just my opinion and I respect yours and know where your coming from.

I said nothing about Vox volume. And adjusting your engine volumes so you can hear Vox isnt a detriment to the game. Lowering your interior engine sounds so you can hear an exterior engine sound better then your own engine...Is.

And there is nothing gamey about being able to hear vox without blowing your eardrums out. In fact. If it were modeled accurately. if anything the engine sounds both interior and exterior should be even harder to hear do to the simulated use of headphones muffling the sounds. Thats why they used headphones instead of just a speaker to begin with.

At no point in time should you ever be able to hear another vehicle or plane better then you can hear your own
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
One of the gameyest of the gamey tactics in the entire game.
This is one of the primary reasons you dont see me in a GV much anymore. Alot of people running around with THEIR engine sounds turned way down and the external sounds way up.  Yes I know I can do it too. but it should never be that way to begin with. Never under any circumstance should you be able to hear an engine running outside of your vehicle better then you can hear your own without first shutting down your own engine.

I say tie the internal and external sounds together so you cant turn them up or down without doing the same for the other.

Well I misunderstood you because of the bolded text.  I would say that if you turn your engine sounds down it would automatically turn external engines down to that level.  External engines can not be louder then your internal engine.  I could go for that if thats what you meant.  I just couldn't stand the loud blaring internal engine sounds, man they hurt your ears.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:02 PM »
I said nothing about Vox volume. And adjusting your engine volumes so you can hear Vox isnt a detriment to the game. Lowering your interior engine sounds so you can hear an exterior engine sound better then your own engine...Is.

And there is nothing gamey about being able to hear vox without blowing your eardrums out. In fact. If it were modeled accurately. if anything the engine sounds both interior and exterior should be even harder to hear do to the simulated use of headphones muffling the sounds. Thats why they used headphones instead of just a speaker to begin with.

At no point in time should you ever be able to hear another vehicle or plane better then you can hear your own

So when are you going to stop flying .... I think you underestimate the guys that fly with their plane engine sounds  the same way.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:22:28 PM by FireDrgn »
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 11:52:49 PM »
I say tie the internal and external sounds together so you cant turn them up or down without doing the same for the other.
Yes, all engine sounds, internal and external, should be tied to the same slider.

So when are you going to stop flying .... I think you underestimate the guys that fly with their plane engine sounds  the same way.
Irrelevant.  All engine volume should be controlled by a single slider.  Tank, airplane and boat alike.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:55:27 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:20 AM »

Im not. But then I totally suck in airplanes in this game anyway. Especially the 190 D9  and 109f.

Ask anyone
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
Yes, all engine sounds, internal and external, should be tied to the same slider ... All engine volume should be controlled by a single slider.  Tank, airplane and boat alike.

big +1 on this :aok

(wishlist item?)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli