Author Topic: Why is AH always overlooked?  (Read 6627 times)

Offline goxwerd

• Zinc Member
Re: Why is AH always overlooked?
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
I've often wondered about this as well.  I used to get a magazine called "PC Pilot" (or "Computer Pilot, not sure which...), and I remember they ran a series on virtual air combat.  IIRC, the only sims they mentioned were IL2 and Warbirds, as well as self cotained games like MS Combat FLight Sim, etc.  I always got the feeling that they werre going out of their way to NOT mention Aces High in the different gaming magazines I've seen.  I figured that maybe Hi Tech had pi$$ed off the wrong people in the industry or something.

As to what got me into the game, my brother had been telling me about it for years and that I should join, but I never got around to it.  Then one evening I saw an AH commercial on the Aviation history Channel and was amazed!  Called my brother and said "is that the game you've been telling me about?"  Been hooked ever since.  But lately (2010?) it seems like I haven't seen any of the commercials for a long time.  Is it just me, or have they not been airing recently?

saw one on the military channel a few weeks ago i think. but yeah in the early 2000s they were on like every commercial break during Flight/ww2 documentaries it seemed.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »
Believe me, AH is NOT overlooked. But as 1 poster has mentioned it will attract some less than desirable attention due to it's level of success relative to others regardless of the variables involved, whether perception or fact is the make up of the "looking glass" being used to evaluate the product. But even this is proof that AH is more well known than we may think it is.

:D

The sad thing for me concerning FA is that I couldn't afford to keep paying the subscriptions to help the game develop. I had tried FA years back & liked what I saw & the potential that was there but I couldn't afford to promote 3 online flight sims so I had to make a decision.

Sorry FA folks. I really liked the game.

I hope that you find what you're looking for here in AH or elsewhere.

:salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »
speaking of which.. Does HTC and more specifically AH2 have a facebook page?  Wouldn't be a bad idea to have screens links to vids etc, Plus helps the search/spam friends factor.

Probably do just haven't looked.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=7099787599&ref=ts
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
Coming over from FA, that has to be the most ridiculous assertion I have yet read.

Welcome Ret, bring your friends  :)
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline BANZAI_SPARKS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:50 PM »
Well a little History,FA was never advertised to be a flight Sim game,in fact it started 13 years ago on the zone as an arcade game,from there it just evolved.Fa is more than a game but a community,we just had our2010 convention in FL where I got to meet RET Fuzz (cool dude) and other players.Our game still has some rooms with arcade physics and the most popular TC (total combat) at level 5,then we had rooms that catered to the Historical crowed where we had input into the history of the rooms ,like Aces over Africa, Italy 1944, Bad weather Normandy these are all played at level 7, then for the total Sims guys we duplicated some rooms to cockpit view and level 10 ,aka Flight sim.The biggest challenge to the FA player is the resistance to change,like all cockpit view,and no padlock to enemy, also in our most popular rooms we play a style that matches 5 country's against each other to take the whole map.So you would have an all SU team flying against an all JP plane set, not all planes for all sides.
I played last night in AH and had a blast 3 buff kills 3 fighter kills and hauled troops oh yeah when i asked "hey now that my chute has landed in the middle of nowhere and I have a 45cal in my hand how do I get a plane "oh just hit alt F4 nice pick on the noob lol. FA guys will do fine here, and just my opinion not many will go to War birds.
so I will see all you killers in the sky's, and to my bud RET Fuzz great to meet you sir ~S~ FA style.

BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
"oh just hit alt F4 nice pick on the noob lol.

:lol :) :t
-AoM-

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »
Welcome to AH sparks, you'll see that used a lot when a question is asked (alt f4).

Been flying with Lethal, nice guy, good stick, and fun to fly with.

Looking forward to seeing you and any other FA sticks who come across to AH.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Forker

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
I would just settle for being an Aces High fan on Facebook...........LOL

Great game <S>

Forker
Lord, help me to be the kind of man my dog thinks I am.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2010, 07:52:38 AM »
Sorry, but  I came over from another online game when suggested after they closed (along with WW2 Online), and been here ever since 1999 or so.  No offense to Fighter Aces ( I know the feeling of something that you enjoy, slipping away) but I haven't looked any further for my online fix.  I hope that AH will help to fill the void and welcome to all, the more the merrier.  My preference being the Axis versus Allies Arena, be sure to check out the custom enhancements that players have created for even more enjoyment.

Overlooked? or undergreased the greedy palms that do the write ups?  I'm with you, it seems that WW2 fighter combat is much more player intense, than any other flight/ game simulation, and I think we know who does a demgood job at it.

(drunken post # I forget** check under sig I guess)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2010, 09:48:31 AM »
Well a little History,FA was never advertised to be a flight Sim game,in fact it started 13 years ago on the zone as an arcade game,from there it just evolved.Fa is more than a game but a community,we just had our2010 convention in FL where I got to meet RET Fuzz (cool dude) and other players.Our game still has some rooms with arcade physics and the most popular TC (total combat) at level 5,then we had rooms that catered to the Historical crowed where we had input into the history of the rooms ,like Aces over Africa, Italy 1944, Bad weather Normandy these are all played at level 7, then for the total Sims guys we duplicated some rooms to cockpit view and level 10 ,aka Flight sim.The biggest challenge to the FA player is the resistance to change,like all cockpit view,and no padlock to enemy, also in our most popular rooms we play a style that matches 5 country's against each other to take the whole map.So you would have an all SU team flying against an all JP plane set, not all planes for all sides.
I played last night in AH and had a blast 3 buff kills 3 fighter kills and hauled troops oh yeah when i asked "hey now that my chute has landed in the middle of nowhere and I have a 45cal in my hand how do I get a plane "oh just hit alt F4 nice pick on the noob lol. FA guys will do fine here, and just my opinion not many will go to War birds.
so I will see all you killers in the sky's, and to my bud RET Fuzz great to meet you sir ~S~ FA style.

I remember looking at the FA 2.5 squadron leaderboard.  I thought myself pretty decent so I went from the top.  BANZAI were number one but I thought to myself I'm not being no Japanese lover.  Second on that list were TEA (The Empire Aces) the rest is as they say history!!

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »

Welcome :)        :salute
-AoM-

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »

G 'r' done!

I loled at the Alt+F4, I hate those people.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:04:56 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
Well I did FA and AH combined for awile but I prefer AH due to the comardarie here and a lot less D/L of arenas.

Just a little hint when someone tells you to hit Alt F4, tell them you have a better way that they should try. Tell them to hit the power button on their comp to get the same effect.

BTW we need to stop referring to the gentlemen and ladies coming from FA as FA pilots. Let me be the first to say to them welcome aboard new AH pilots, wether they be commrades or enemy and btw AH salutes like this <S> or in the boards :salute
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Wizkid

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
... I'd be suspect of any game that offered 2 free months, it is indicative of an company's end stage marketing ploy....
I agree fully, but what do you call a company, which beats the 2 months by another 1 1/2 months for a total of 14 weeks?
Just came to think of it, that the statement of yours, Delirium, was a bit superficial, or was it even meant aggressive?
But against whom?   ;)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »
I agree fully, but what do you call a company, which beats the 2 months by another 1 1/2 months for a total of 14 weeks?
Just came to think of it, that the statement of yours, Delirium, was a bit superficial, or was it even meant aggressive?
But against whom?   ;)

I'd call it desperation. You're trying to read too much in what Del said.