Author Topic: Taking Carriers Out Of The Game??????  (Read 10106 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Taking Carriers Out Of The Game??????
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »
Moving CVs away from their bases IS smart but only if the CV is at a distance away that it cannot BE FOUND while it IS defending the port at the same time... also goes with most CV tactics... rule #1 about CVs: DONT let them be discovered by the enemy so you can have the strategic advantage of being able to strike at the enemy. (THIS INCLUDES MOVING CVS IN SIGHT OF THE BASEEEEE)-most bases taken by CV are taken without the CV in sight of the shoreline until the enemy base is completely under lockdown including SBs
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:28 PM »
Condor the problem with HTC creating restrictions for everything that bothers some players is that the unintended consequences pile up and become worse than the original issues.

I see your point but,

It's always best for the players to find their own solutions.

Umm, Have to get back to ya on that one
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 12:57:10 PM »
I think my only question is, why is it such a big deal to you if you moved the cv's out of hiding and then logged off?

It would be a completely different matter if you were moving the cv's when you intended to use them yourself.  Otherwise, same issue in both cases.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
I don't really care how the CVs are used. Everyone has their own idea as to it's best advantage and I will go along with any idea as long as the CV is left in play. I think it's just out of line to take it upon yourself to eliminate anyones opportunity to use them, enemy or friendly.

I enjoy launching to attack some unsuspecting base as much as I enjoy defending against the same. Shooting down planes from the carrier or trying to get through it's defenses to bomb it is all good fun.

Eliminating any opportunity to do either just for the sake of a single armchair admiral's idea does nothing more than removing the fun factor and just not called for. IMHO.
Captain Marko Ramius:

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 01:00:53 PM »
I ran into a guy in Rook land a couple of weeks ago, and had a verbal spat with him and one of his pals...

The intention (he said) was to keep them "safe" even though we still ownd the ports..., and because he was a score junky, no one could get even one of the CV's back in the game.
I keep a score under 300, without even trying, so in anoy's the HELL outta me when some retsrd gets on, and starts this kind of crap.

Another type of jerk, are the guys that will let you control the CV for several hours, keeping it safe, until you near your objective then they take over, and proceed to destroy a carefuly laid plan.
I realise its a game feature, but hiding CV's that still have thier ports is IGNORANT, and everyone needs to start calling these guys the tards that they are.
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
I think my only question is, why is it such a big deal to you if you moved the cv's out of hiding and then logged off?

It would be a completely different matter if you were moving the cv's when you intended to use them yourself.  Otherwise, same issue in both cases.

wrongway

EXACTLY my point. How long do you think it would take you to move a CV into play from the corner of the map? More time than you would be willing to play in any given session. (Not to mention that any attempt to do it will result in someone redirecting the fleet)

It's not possible to move them out of hiding for use. The Solution, Give their locations on 200 and let the guys bomb them back into play.
Captain Marko Ramius:

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
I ran into a guy in Rook land a couple of weeks ago, and had a verbal spat with him and one of his pals...

The intention (he said) was to keep them "safe" even though we still ownd the ports..., and because he was a score junky, no one could get even one of the CV's back in the game.
I keep a score under 300, without even trying, so in anoy's the HELL outta me when some retsrd gets on, and starts this kind of crap.

Another type of jerk, are the guys that will let you control the CV for several hours, keeping it safe, until you near your objective then they take over, and proceed to destroy a carefuly laid plan.
I realise its a game feature, but hiding CV's that still have thier ports is IGNORANT, and everyone needs to start calling these guys the tards that they are.
then get your rank to 52 like me :aok (no i am not a score ho... i rarely fly for score)
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 01:17:47 PM »
I don't know, compared to, say, switching sides so you can park a CV right in front of your regular side's shore battery and not let anyone move it until it's sunk, it seems like pretty inoffensive behavior to me.

The principles only some folks seem to get here are that a CV, unlike a plane, is both a strategic objective AND an asset, it's a more valuable and vulnerable asset than any land base, and it's not freely expendable like planes are. CVs don't tend to last long in combat, so beyond any considerations of winning the war, hiding a CV for which you don't have the port, or at least keeping it a few sectors out, means denying its use to the enemy. Sail it right up to an enemy field and you're just giving that valuable asset to the enemy, and then you won't be able to use it any more than if it were 6 sectors back. Between having the CV and not using it, and not having the CV and having the enemy use it against you, the former is obviously preferable.

And a lot of the reason people move them back so far, as opposed to just far enough to be reasonably safe, is that they've learned that that's the only way to keep some newbie from sailing it right up to an enemy field with SB and ords intact - with the CV in the rear, hopefully someone will notice and change its course before the newbie gets it all the way there.

The real mystery here is why guys like whiteman, 68ZooM, druski85, and stephen ("I haz mad sk1llz and a capslock!!!!")  are incapable of making a point other than by pre-emptively insulting anyone who might disagree with them. What are you guys, 15 years old? News flash, guys: intelligent people are capable of holding different opinions - even (occasionally) ones different from yours. You're the ones making yourselves look like "IGNORANT retsrds".

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
i guess the easiest thing to do is PERK the control of a CV group, ive seen many times a great CV battle going on and someone with rank takes control and moves the CV far away, thats just not right, again someone thinking they know best  :rolleyes:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
The real mystery here is why guys like whiteman, 68ZooM, druski85, and stephen ("I haz mad sk1llz and a capslock!!!!")  are incapable of making a point other than by pre-emptively insulting anyone who might disagree with them. What are you guys, 15 years old? News flash, guys: intelligent people are capable of holding different opinions - even (occasionally) ones different from yours. You're the ones making yourselves look like "IGNORANT retsrds".
dont make this into another hate posting IN thread... this is actually a nice discussion :uhoh
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »
Orange where did i insult anyone?  i see no names, CV battles are fun, what wrecks it are people who think they know whats best for that CV group and move it, what gives that person any more right to take control of it? its a game and people like to play it how they want to.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »
I don't know, compared to, say, switching sides so you can park a CV right in front of your regular side's shore battery and not let anyone move it until it's sunk, it seems like pretty inoffensive behavior to me.

The principles only some folks seem to get here are that a CV, unlike a plane, is both a strategic objective AND an asset, it's a more valuable and vulnerable asset than any land base, and it's not freely expendable like planes are. CVs don't tend to last long in combat, so beyond any considerations of winning the war, hiding a CV for which you don't have the port, or at least keeping it a few sectors out, means denying its use to the enemy. Sail it right up to an enemy field and you're just giving that valuable asset to the enemy, and then you won't be able to use it any more than if it were 6 sectors back. Between having the CV and not using it, and not having the CV and having the enemy use it against you, the former is obviously preferable.

And a lot of the reason people move them back so far, as opposed to just far enough to be reasonably safe, is that they've learned that that's the only way to keep some newbie from sailing it right up to an enemy field with SB and ords intact - with the CV in the rear, hopefully someone will notice and change its course before the newbie gets it all the way there.

I agree with the side switch/CV sinking that's just bad form, but so is CV hiding and one person behaving badly doesn't justify more bad behavior.  We're playing a game here and CV's are toys in  the game, I say play with them don't hide them.  It's like the kid who owns the ball during a schoolyard kickball game taking the ball and going home after his team had their at bat, after all if he kept playing the other team may have a chance to score and he might lose.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:31:34 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 01:30:35 PM »
I don't see a CV being an asset unless you use it and if (AND WHEN) you lose it, it's not forever. You either get it back at the spawn or get togather and take a port. These cartoon CVs are being treated like you will have to wait another 10 years to build another one. I thought the point to this game (IMHO) was the game of head to head combat. I never expected it to be lets hoard all the assets and hide them.
Captain Marko Ramius:

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »

because i have asked nicely for the cv's to be moved back into play and how they would be used only to be called a spy, moron, stupid and love muffin that will lose the war by the people that move it 20 sectors from a fight. I have as much respect for them as the guys that attack large amounts of buildings with 14 guys noe on the part of the map with no fight. Don't expect me to talk kindly to them and if you don't like it there is this awesome ignore function i can be placed on.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
I don't see a CV being an asset unless you use it and if (AND WHEN) you lose it, it's not forever. You either get it back at the spawn or get togather and take a port. These cartoon CVs are being treated like you will have to wait another 10 years to build another one. I thought the point to this game (IMHO) was the game of head to head combat. I never expected it to be lets hoard all the assets and hide them.

I take your point (and soulsys'), but no one here is suggesting hoarding all the assets (or the one and only ball) , just a few of the most vulnerable. Ideally they shouldn't be hidden/hoarded forever, they should be held back until the right strategic moment to use them, but the problem with that is that there's really no way to plan or execute a cohesive strategy in a game with lots of players and no hierarchy or overall leadership.

I agree that it's silly to hide a CV for which you own the port, and if you don't own the port the best thing to do is take the port; however, the latter isn't always practical, and I wouldn't put the CV into a high-risk situation until after you've done it.

I don't know, I guess I just have pet peeves that are fifty times more annoying than a lot of the stuff complained about here, so it just doesn't seem so bad to me. Unusable CVs aren't anywhere near as annoying or obnoxious as: bomb and bail, pork and auger, flying around in a pony or K4 at 20k looking for easy picks and running home as soon as you no longer have a 5k alt advantage, knocking down every radar within 100 miles in a sparsely populated area of the map so no one can find each other to fight, ratting out your teammates on 200, and above all, using shade accounts to take control of CVs, SBs, or manned ack just so no one else can use them against your buddies on the other side. As far as I'm concerned the latter is cheating and should get anyone caught doing it banned for life.