Author Topic: Taking Carriers Out Of The Game??????  (Read 10100 times)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
Re: Taking Carriers Out Of The Game??????
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
News flash, guys: intelligent people are capable of holding different opinions - even (occasionally) ones different from yours. You're the ones making yourselves look like "IGNORANT retsrds".

Intelligent people will generally not say, "How will we win teh wars?!1!" so I'm not quite of the demographic to which you are referring, which I so viciously assaulted. 

Anyway, back on point I guess I can most succinctly put my argument this way -- In my mind, it's not worth denying an otherwise fun fight in the name of safety, when in reality there is no real threat to anything.  (Being a game and all)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:17 PM »
i guess the easiest thing to do is PERK the control of a CV group, ive seen many times a great CV battle going on and someone with rank takes control and moves the CV far away, thats just not right, again someone thinking they know best  :rolleyes:
In a way CVs are perked as you have to have a good enough rank to hold on to it. I just don't like throwing my rank around and controlling a boat if if means ruining the fight that a group already has going. The maps are big enough now where I can go elsewhere and find a CV crowd with the same ideas for CV use as me.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »
I saw the CV's hiding in the corner of a map, as bish, the other day.  I was pissed.  There is no reason for them all to be 150 miles from land.  If grouping them for a strategic purpose, fine, 50 miles is safe and functional.  Simply stay noe for a while to not give away the location if using it as a launch point.

fluff'n retards.  :furious
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
In my mind, it's not worth denying an otherwise fun fight in the name of safety, when in reality there is no real threat to anything.  (Being a game and all)

:aok
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
Hiding a CV for any reason is simply dweebish.  Send it towards the enemy and give battle for gosh sakes.  Isn't that why we all are here?   :rolleyes:
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 02:29:23 PM »
I don't know, compared to, say, switching sides so you can park a CV right in front of your regular side's shore battery and not let anyone move it until it's sunk, it seems like pretty inoffensive behavior to me.

The principles only some folks seem to get here are that a CV, unlike a plane, is both a strategic objective AND an asset, it's a more valuable and vulnerable asset than any land base, and it's not freely expendable like planes are. CVs don't tend to last long in combat, so beyond any considerations of winning the war, hiding a CV for which you don't have the port, or at least keeping it a few sectors out, means denying its use to the enemy. Sail it right up to an enemy field and you're just giving that valuable asset to the enemy, and then you won't be able to use it any more than if it were 6 sectors back. Between having the CV and not using it, and not having the CV and having the enemy use it against you, the former is obviously preferable.

And a lot of the reason people move them back so far, as opposed to just far enough to be reasonably safe, is that they've learned that that's the only way to keep some newbie from sailing it right up to an enemy field with SB and ords intact - with the CV in the rear, hopefully someone will notice and change its course before the newbie gets it all the way there.

The real mystery here is why guys like whiteman, 68ZooM, druski85, and stephen ("I haz mad sk1llz and a capslock!!!!")  are incapable of making a point other than by pre-emptively insulting anyone who might disagree with them. What are you guys, 15 years old? News flash, guys: intelligent people are capable of holding different opinions - even (occasionally) ones different from yours. You're the ones making yourselves look like "IGNORANT retsrds".

Good grief :huh

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:33 PM »
I don't know, compared to, say, switching sides so you can park a CV right in front of your regular side's shore battery and not let anyone move it until it's sunk, it seems like pretty inoffensive behavior to me.

The principles only some folks seem to get here are that a CV, unlike a plane, is both a strategic objective AND an asset, it's a more valuable and vulnerable asset than any land base, and it's not freely expendable like planes are. CVs don't tend to last long in combat, so beyond any considerations of winning the war, hiding a CV for which you don't have the port, or at least keeping it a few sectors out, means denying its use to the enemy. Sail it right up to an enemy field and you're just giving that valuable asset to the enemy, and then you won't be able to use it any more than if it were 6 sectors back. Between having the CV and not using it, and not having the CV and having the enemy use it against you, the former is obviously preferable.

And a lot of the reason people move them back so far, as opposed to just far enough to be reasonably safe, is that they've learned that that's the only way to keep some newbie from sailing it right up to an enemy field with SB and ords intact - with the CV in the rear, hopefully someone will notice and change its course before the newbie gets it all the way there.

The real mystery here is why guys like whiteman, 68ZooM, druski85, and stephen ("I haz mad sk1llz and a capslock!!!!")  are incapable of making a point other than by pre-emptively insulting anyone who might disagree with them. What are you guys, 15 years old? News flash, guys: intelligent people are capable of holding different opinions - even (occasionally) ones different from yours. You're the ones making yourselves look like "IGNORANT retsrds".

Typical for a "w1Nz TehHh W4Rz" type, hiding CVs is bad form. An intelligent player would know how to use the CV to an advantage with out putting it in harms way, like attacking from a good distance out with the 8" guns possibly. A dweeb will throw it in the back of the map to collect dust, or barnacles....
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
I take your point (and soulsys'), but no one here is suggesting hoarding all the assets (or the one and only ball) , just a few of the most vulnerable. Ideally they shouldn't be hidden/hoarded forever, they should be held back until the right strategic moment to use them, but the problem with that is that there's really no way to plan or execute a cohesive strategy in a game with lots of players and no hierarchy or overall leadership.

I agree that it's silly to hide a CV for which you own the port, and if you don't own the port the best thing to do is take the port; however, the latter isn't always practical, and I wouldn't put the CV into a high-risk situation until after you've done it.

I don't know, I guess I just have pet peeves that are fifty times more annoying than a lot of the stuff complained about here, so it just doesn't seem so bad to me. Unusable CVs aren't anywhere near as annoying or obnoxious as: bomb and bail, pork and auger, flying around in a pony or K4 at 20k looking for easy picks and running home as soon as you no longer have a 5k alt advantage, knocking down every radar within 100 miles in a sparsely populated area of the map so no one can find each other to fight, ratting out your teammates on 200, and above all, using shade accounts to take control of CVs, SBs, or manned ack just so no one else can use them against your buddies on the other side. As far as I'm concerned the latter is cheating and should get anyone caught doing it banned for life.
Says the one who is in a squad that does NOE avoid a fight base taking.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
If they didn't have the CVs floating in the abyss somewhere, they'd be parked in front of a shore battery at a base with the ord still up. I find it's best just to stay away from CVs, as most of guys who take control of them are complete imbeciles.

QFT!!!

:aok  :aok

To add to the thread.
I am of the opinion that in order to stay in control of a CV.
You should at the absolute very least, have to be either on the CV itself or be on a plane/boat/LVT from that CV.

The moment you leave the CV to do something else. You should loose control of it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:12:34 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »
Man dont even get me started  :mad: :mad:
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:26 PM »
Differing opinions!?

Somone tell me what sense it makes to hide EVERY C.V. away from the port that spawned them?
If you where trying to save somthing, wouldnt you just lock the CV down in front of the port it spawned from so both would be mutualy protected?
If you resuppply the port WHILE its under attack, the ack will respawn, AND THEY WILL NEVER CAPTURE IT. This is certainly a better use for them than green decorations at the corner of the map.

Lol, im stuck on this opinions ideal..., hey look buddy, saying the world is flat is an opinion to.... At-least in the case of the world being flat, it isnt ruining everyone elses fun, or otherwise wasting a valuable offensive tool. Its a bit stupid, wouldnt you say?

Granted, CV hoarding is an opinion, but again ill say its ignorant, and with good reason.
It's like hiding the bullets to your gun so the thief that breaks into your house wont steal them when he takes the gun...., which you should have pointed at his belly anyway.

(I wouldnt deffinatly say that pointing out an obviouse typo is the defence of a person with no ammunition to make a real argument.) Cheers everybody <S> :salute
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
If you where trying to save somthing, wouldnt you just lock the CV down in front of the port it spawned from so both would be mutualy protected?
If you resuppply the port WHILE its under attack, the ack will respawn, AND THEY WILL NEVER CAPTURE IT.

That tactic only really worked as long as you could dry spawn LVT's.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline COndor06

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.CondorAerial.com
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
QFT!!!

:aok  :aok

To add to the thread.
I am of the opinion that in order to stay in control of a CV.
You should at the absolute very least, have to be either on the CV itself or be on a plane/boat/LVT from that CV.

The moment you leave the CV to do something else. You should loose control of it.

I agree, well said
Be careful what you shoot at. Most things
in here don't react too well to bullets.
Captain Marko Ramius:

http://www.CondorAerial.com

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
dont make this into another hate posting IN thread... this is actually a nice discussion :uhoh

ummmm.........IN!     :uhoh

but seriously, someone taking a CV from a port THEY own, and hiding it far, far away is just plain LAME.   it won't die for real ladies, hike up your skirts and get in the fight
-AoM-

Offline whels

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:03 PM »
on certain maps it is very good to get port n CV to get that CV out of enemy hands because its spawn port is close to your base. Like ndisles P14 CV13, CV 13 spawns 10 miles from A10, which means constant capture tries by said enemy. so u steal the CV and it allows u to focus elsewhere instead of constant defence every 20 mins.  someone said something about givining CV pos on 200, thats even worse form to do
than hiding CVs. CVs are too easy to find by side Switchers and NOE search.

I will hide CVs when needed, but ive also said for a long long time, HT needs to make a timer. When the CV;s home port is taken, the owner of the CV has 2 hours (or so) to either get port back, or use  CV offencively.  When time runs out the CV should respawn to home port to new owner.