Author Topic: Landing  (Read 3463 times)

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
Landing
« on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »
When missing landing gear, the way the plane lands at super low speeds is not realistic at all. For some reason you can be going 120, tap the plane really softly and you die instantly  :huh :mad:. I've seen crashes without the landing gear in the war and now and it doesn't blow the plane up from a tiny tap on the ground.  Plz fix it HTC
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:31:08 AM by THRASH99 »

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Landing
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:51:11 AM »
Thrash.. they did this for a reason, as people were abusing it by coming in at 200+ and landing with their gear UP and skidding to an instant stop with a successful landing.  In real life if a plane comes in with inoperable gear, they would fly as slow and touch down as gently as possible to try to minimize the damage (and risk of death/injury) as a result of the emergency landing, NOW touching down at full speed with the gear up so they can stop in time... THAT in my mind is the unrealistic part...

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »
When missing landing gear, the way the plane lands at super low speeds is not realistic at all. For some reason you can be going 120, tap the plane really softly and you die instantly  :huh :mad:. I've seen crashes without the landing gear in the war and now and it doesn't blow the plane up from a tiny tap on the ground.  Plz fix it HTC

What speed?

Angle of descent?

Did something get stuck in the tarmac and cartwheel you?

What were you flying?

How many landing gear were broken?

Which ones?

"Realistically", aircraft are meant to land on the wheels.  Any other situation is rather atypical and the results are unpredictable, at best.

Film?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
When missing landing gear, the way the plane lands at super low speeds is not realistic at all. For some reason you can be going 120, tap the plane really softly and you die instantly

Since when is 120 "super low speed"??
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CountD90

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »
Get a car going 120mph and stick your head out the window... Does it feel slow to you? Don't think so.... Anything hitting the ground at that speed will get ripped to shreds...
GameID:Count
The Misfit Toys
Quote from: Wreked
If you are feeling a little useless, offended, or depressed, just remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious little sperm out of millions.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:51:16 PM »
Get a car going 120mph and stick your head out the window... Does it feel slow to you? Don't think so.... Anything hitting the ground at that speed will get ripped to shreds...
Not if you do it on the grass...120mph on some airframes is "floating"...personally, if I have to belly land it, 100mph is tops...but I'm weird.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:02 PM »
Thrash.. they did this for a reason, as people were abusing it by coming in at 200+ and landing with their gear UP and skidding to an instant stop with a successful landing.  In real life if a plane comes in with inoperable gear, they would fly as slow and touch down as gently as possible to try to minimize the damage (and risk of death/injury) as a result of the emergency landing, NOW touching down at full speed with the gear up so they can stop in time... THAT in my mind is the unrealistic part...
Where did you get 200 +?, gear doesn't even come out at that speed sometimes. Have you see plane crashes on runways before, yes people get hurt, but there is no reason why you should die from one tap. Let me ask this, did you hear about the emergeny plane landing in the Hudson River? The pilot tapped the plane on the water at 120+ and did you didn't see anything blown up, no, plane itself in the water and same goes for cement. Only damage should occur, not tiny tap = BOOM!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:48:59 PM by THRASH99 »

Jokers Jokers

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:42:58 PM »
What speed?

Angle of descent?

Did something get stuck in the tarmac and cartwheel you?

What were you flying?

How many landing gear were broken?

Which ones?

"Realistically", aircraft are meant to land on the wheels.  Any other situation is rather atypical and the results are unpredictable, at best.

Film?
Obviously low speed, 110-120mph at least, straight to the runway, nothing in front of it, P-51D, both gears were shot off during my sortie fighting.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:49:39 PM by THRASH99 »

Jokers Jokers

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
Since when is 120 "super low speed"??
Fine, not super low speed, but a regular low speed

Jokers Jokers

Offline FlakBait422

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »
Gear can come out at 150... rips at 200+
I was told by a wise man to change my forum signature... and so I have. I am a better man now ;)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:47 PM »
Where did you get 200 +?, gear doesn't even come out at that speed sometimes. Have you see plane crashes on runways before, yes people get hurt, but there is no reason why you should die from one tap. Let me ask this, did you hear about the emergeny plane landing in the Hudson River? The pilot tapped the plane on the water at 120+ and did you didn't see anything blown up, no, plane itself in the water and same goes for cement. Only damage should occur, not tiny tap = BOOM!

Did you see the capital gear UP???
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 05:59:24 PM »

A few years ago it wasn't uncommon for a plane to land at 200+ mph with the GEAR UP and then skid to a stop.  Hi-Tech changed it on the next patch to crash if you're doing more than like 120 mph on a gear up landing to prevent this from happening.

Also 120 for a big airliner is a bit different than 120 for a small single seater...

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
Fine, not super low speed, but a regular low speed

Wow Thrash.. I see you've been here about.. what 3 months now?  I've been here over five years... many of us for more than 10.  You'll find that the things in this game that may not seem realistic are like that for a reason.  I'm just trying to tell you the reason.

Next time you post, please leave the attitude at the door.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 06:02:32 PM »
i dunno about most of you, but I touch down at stall speed.. in most fighters in a light post-combat situation, I think its around 80-90 -- but since im just listening for the buzzer and looking outside, i cant really tell you.. I can say that 120 is way too fast.

I was taught in the little amount of real world instruction that I have in prop planes, and reading, that the proper way to land is for the plane to stop flying (stalling) right as the wheels are touching down.   You should be hearing the stall buzzer coming on strong on a proper touchdown.  stall too early = hard landing ... "fly" it onto the runway = bounce.

obviously without gear, you want to be as slow as possible.. which reinforces my point...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 06:06:36 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
i dunno about most of you, but I touch down at stall speed.. in most fighters in a light post-combat situation, I think its around 80-90 -- but since im just listening for the buzzer and looking outside, i cant really tell you.. I can say that 120 is way too fast.

I was taught in the little amount of real world instruction that I have in prop planes, and reading, that the proper way to land is for the plane to stop flying (stalling) right as the wheels are touching down.  You should be hearing the stall buzzer coming on strong on a proper touchdown.

obviously without gear, you want to be as slow as possible.. which reinforces my point...

This :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright