Author Topic: "Thanks for the Check Six"  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
Re: "Thanks for the Check Six"
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
The check six button is one of the games greatest features, but it should only be used in certain circumstances.

1.  Anyone whining about not getting a call while spiraling to earth in a wingless metal coffin should always get one.
2.  See a friendly saddled on a con, shoot them a check, it's easier to avoid the killshooter if they break.
3.  I've actually seen someone "shoot down" a squeaker on the same team by alternating between 6 calls, and short burst of tracer past the canopy until said squeaker augered.  It helps if you scream "ZOMG BREAK BREAK" over range.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:19 AM »
UMMMM........congrats but whats that got to do with the OP  :devil!

I will give a 6 call if im not engaged or im in a GV but i DO NOT depend on getting one myself! If i get shot its my own lack of SA!

That says it all.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
Send check sixes whenever you can, but never assume you will receive them.  I keep my head on a swivel, constantly checking my 6, my 3, my 9, high 6, you get the point...  Getting shot down by an unseen foe sucks, but in the end it is the individual pilots responsibility.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »
Checking your six is your own responsibility..  If your tailing someone in a furball for more than 15 seconds, chances are that someone is now tailing you.. No one is responsible for your SA..   :aok

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »
Telling someone to "Check 6" or "check it" is one of the most annoyingly stupid things in Aces High.

It provides no information, advises the pilot to do something he should be doing anyway and is plain bad advice if there is a real threat in your rear hemisphere.

It should embarass anyone that uses it.

Proper communication requires the following:

Identification, direction, information.

In other words, who you are talking to, what he should do, and why.

As an example, if I had a bandit (FW190) about to blast me to oblivion, telling me to "Check it" would only allow me to see the bandit that killed me.

Instead, if you say "Dawger, break, 190" you fulfill the requirements for good combat communication.

if the bandit is not an immediate threat one could say "Dawger, arc left, 190 long five o'clock". This tells me I'm not in immediate danger and gives me a suggested course of action.

If the nature of the threat does not require immediate action one may omit the directive portion but provide useful information. As an Example "Dawger, 190 long 5 o'clock" tells me there is a threat outside of guns range, where he is at and leaves me to decide how to proceed.

What information does "check it" give? It tells me there is a bandit somewhere in my vicinity at an unknown distance and direction. I must determine distance and direction myself and sort out exactly which bandit the call refers to in a multi-bandit fight. It is only useful to those completely without SA. Many times following the implied advice to look backwards will get you killed because you really should have been initiating a break turn instead of looking around for a bandit.

If I'm being chased by a 190 that I see and you call "Check it" I must decide if you are referring to the bandit I already know about or a new threat yet unseen. But if you call "Dawger, break, 190" I know you are referring to the bandit I am already aware of and don't have the uncertainty that the "check it" call brings with it.

Wow, If it's hard to get a check 6 from some guys ya really think they are gunna do any of that?  I think of a check 6 as a gift, some I don't need some I do, either way I appreciate the courtesy, but that is all it is courtesy, not a right, not a requirement, not a demand to be fulfilled at all costs.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Here is a check 6 for everyone:

check 6
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 11:49:47 AM »
It's not always that easy for people with certain equipment to send out a six call.  You need to be able to work the hat switch and the check six button at the same time for it to be of real use, and I'd imagine you'd want full control of your own flight controls (flaps, rudder, etc.) to come first too.  Some control setups (like CH) will allow you to easily do this, while others won't.

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »
The check six button is one of the games greatest features, but it should only be used in certain circumstances.

3.  I've actually seen someone "shoot down" a squeaker on the same team by alternating between 6 calls, and short burst of tracer past the canopy until said squeaker augered.  It helps if you scream "ZOMG BREAK BREAK" over range.
I done this to betty and she ripped her wings off breaking. And i stole her kill :D
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
Peeps who complain about not getting check 6s actually get them all the time.  They just didn't get one the time they got killed so that's the only one they remember.  
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
INteresting  :noid

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:40 PM »
I don't mind getting a check 6 call or not getting one, but make damn sure you're calling a check 6 for a plane behind me (9 times out of 10 I'll already know someone's behind me).  Sending a check six just because you see a friendly and a bad guy near each other is annoying...especially for those who have the con on their 12 and their SA is poor enough to actually believe the check 6 call and break for no reason.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 12:30:18 PM »
Telling someone to "Check 6" or "check it" is one of the most annoyingly stupid things in Aces High.

It provides no information, advises the pilot to do something he should be doing anyway and is plain bad advice if there is a real threat in your rear hemisphere.

It should embarass anyone that uses it.

Proper communication requires the following:

Identification, direction, information.

In other words, who you are talking to, what he should do, and why.

As an example, if I had a bandit (FW190) about to blast me to oblivion, telling me to "Check it" would only allow me to see the bandit that killed me.

Instead, if you say "Dawger, break, 190" you fulfill the requirements for good combat communication.

if the bandit is not an immediate threat one could say "Dawger, arc left, 190 long five o'clock". This tells me I'm not in immediate danger and gives me a suggested course of action.

If the nature of the threat does not require immediate action one may omit the directive portion but provide useful information. As an Example "Dawger, 190 long 5 o'clock" tells me there is a threat outside of guns range, where he is at and leaves me to decide how to proceed.

What information does "check it" give? It tells me there is a bandit somewhere in my vicinity at an unknown distance and direction. I must determine distance and direction myself and sort out exactly which bandit the call refers to in a multi-bandit fight. It is only useful to those completely without SA. Many times following the implied advice to look backwards will get you killed because you really should have been initiating a break turn instead of looking around for a bandit.

If I'm being chased by a 190 that I see and you call "Check it" I must decide if you are referring to the bandit I already know about or a new threat yet unseen. But if you call "Dawger, break, 190" I know you are referring to the bandit I am already aware of and don't have the uncertainty that the "check it" call brings with it.

Dawger Check it!! That means do somthin fast or ur going to be takin a trip to the tower..  It is as simple as that :rolleyes:  I myself dont have time generally to give peeps a speach about his/her bad SA...
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 01:06:35 PM »
Awareness of your own Situation is your own responsibility, not mine - though I do throw 6 calls out all day long.

A conversation I had on range one day;
Angry Pilot: "You know there's a button on your keyboard which will tell other pilots to check their 6?"
Me: "You know there's a button on your keyboard which will allow you to check your own bloody 6!"

But yes, I don't mind not getting 6 calls, I do mind being used for bait, though it's a very rare day when I'm not already aware of the con on my 6 when the 6 call comes in.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
 Ya there are a couple rooks that seem to think we are here to make up for an SA shortfall.  They just dont realize how stupid they sound. Some folks ya just kaint reach.

~AoM~

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »

1.  Anyone whining about not getting a call while spiraling to earth in a wingless metal coffin should always get one.
2.  See a friendly saddled on a con, shoot them a check, it's easier to avoid the killshooter if they break.

/discussion.