Author Topic: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:41:43 PM »
Is this what has turned so many people off to the whole ww1 Arena?  Its turning me off.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:47:49 PM »
I had my mind made up before the arena ever opened that the DR1 would be the plane I fly. And I did fly in there for a month, got bored and moved back to the MA. I went back in there last week and only 2 people were logged in.  :( 
Lighten up Francis

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:53:03 PM »
I knew the DR1 would be the WW1 spitfire.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »
I went back in there last week and only 2 people were logged in.  :( 

I had a feeling this would happen, all this wining and now we have it. No body wants to use it.
Strokes

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »
I had a feeling this would happen, all this wining and now we have it. No body wants to use it.

Nobody was whining about it, people were just anxious for it because of the unknown factor.  I remember the questionnaire that asked us customers if we would be interested in WW1 aviation.  I for one answered that I would not be interested.  Where are all the players that said they wanted this at?  :headscratch:

Further evidence that the customer does not know squat.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 09:07:12 PM »
Is this what has turned so many people off to the whole ww1 Arena?  Its turning me off.

No.

Player numbers plunged down while the DVII was still the most used plane. Actually I was somewhat surprised it took the DR.I that long to become king.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
 I for one answered that I would not be interested.  Where are all the players that said they wanted this at?  :headscratch:

That's exactly what was going through my mind the other day.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
 I remember the questionnaire that asked us customers if we would be interested in WW1 aviation.  I for one answered that I would not be interested.  Where are all the players that said they wanted this at?  :headscratch:

Further evidence that the customer does not know squat.

I was one of those customers that answered interested. And I still am very much, yet I basically left WWI arena after about 2 weeks.
Not because I would love WWII more... I left because of the non-existing gameplay. I left because I got bored very quickly. (I would never had played AH for a long time if DA lake furball was the sole offering).

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

It was all too predictable. People saw what they wanted to see in a WW1 setup, which was neat for a (very) short time. Then the "new" wore off.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »
I was one of those customers that answered interested. And I still am very much, yet I basically left WWI arena after about 2 weeks.
Not because I would love WWII more... I left because of the non-existing gameplay. I left because I got bored very quickly. (I would never had played AH for a long time if DA lake furball was the sole offering).

So what would it take for WW1 to become a functioning arena?  I think some sort of small scale war with objectives would go a long way, but at this point I don't know if it is worth it.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
It is the map that is dictating the aircraft to use. For example no one is in no mans land every one is heading to the nearest enemy base. So since you can't run away in this arena you must turn to fight.

Well if you are the country getting ganged the best plane to use is the DR1 take off with very little fuel wait until some one is engaged then drop in & kill him & since it is a rather stable gun platform compared to the Camel it is about the best bang for your buck.

Change the map get the camel a little more stable for shooting & the game play will change & the DR1 won't be so popular. Just my two cents.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
Hell...they should have shelved the Dr1 until the planeset was more mature and they could offer perk controls to counter balance that planes queer ability to defy gravity (I am exaggerating of course but the feeling is there).

The WW1 arena would be hellmore interesting with the current setup had deleted that pesky Dr1 and instead offered the Albatross in its place and subbed the F1 for the SE5a. Even then, the camel is not defeating the Dr1 with any regularity.

I still love the era, I just plain dislike the Dr1 FM feel and have come to the conclusion that I do not want to play the game in it, which I have to to compete worth a damned when 90% of the reds are in DR1s.  It is just crazy the way it has turned out.. and disappointing for me personally.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
So what would it take for WW1 to become a functioning arena?  I think some sort of small scale war with objectives would go a long way, but at this point I don't know if it is worth it.

I was predicting such a fate from the start. And very early I (and a few other players) made some mostly very modest proposals, which could have introduced a few more "strategic" aspects while consciously retaining the basic "furball" character of WWI arena and without introducing bhase captures or even an opportunity to "win the war"
The response by fellow players was largely very unfavorable "No need for this... arena will stay very popular... lame gamers, stay out... you just want to win teh war" and stuff like this. Well... I think most of those guys are not playing much anymore either ;)

I'm quite afraid it's simply too late to get the arena back on track. And I am very sad about it.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »
I think HTC was hoping to the the players from Rise Of Flight, but they just didn't show up for the party.  As far as some kind of war in there, what would that be like? Mustard gas, horses and manned artillary batteries? Not much there to impress todays online gamers. I can't see WW1 being anymore then what it is now.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
I can't see WW1 being anymore then what it is now.

I could. A lot more variation in combat situations is possible without getting into grab-base-win-war stuff of the other AH mains.