Author Topic: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
Re: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
I flew in there a few days, I got dizzy and left
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 07:27:03 AM »
Same here .... it was fun for a bit until the novelty wore off and I got tired of hearing a bunch of Go cart engines puttering around !!
"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 07:48:04 AM »
They should salvage whatever they can from the old campaign mode we were testing and use pieces in WWI arena, if possible.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline dhart

• Copper Member
      • 357th Yoxford Boys
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
Nobody was whining about it, people were just anxious for it because of the unknown factor.  I remember the questionnaire that asked us customers if we would be interested in WW1 aviation.  I for one answered that I would not be interested.  Where are all the players that said they wanted this at?  :headscratch:

Further evidence that the customer does not know squat.

Now wait a minute Grizz, I was one of them that said I would want it. I have played in the WWI arena several times, I dont think people were really ready for it. Everyone in here was so use to running 350 knots at 20,000 ft that going to what 140 knots and forever to climb to what you think is 5,000 ft kinda caught people off guard. Plus with the slower speeds and no clear objective it kinda takes away from the whole thing. No base captures, no bombing raids, no gv's...........its the whole experience that people want. When they start adding these things the number of people will go up. Its cool you didnt say yes to it, after all there are no 262's in WWI.........
Pigs On The Wing- 2nd Wing

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 04:42:03 PM »
Heheh I love the quick one liners from all the "I hated the WWI idea from the beginning" :devil  Somehow I just don't think their opinions in a WWI thread carry alot of weight  :rofl
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2010, 05:36:26 PM »
Isn't WWI still kinda in test mode? Gotta work out the bugs first.    :D
325th Checkertails

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 01:33:47 PM »
Heheh I love the quick one liners from all the "I hated the WWI idea from the beginning" :devil  Somehow I just don't think their opinions in a WWI thread carry alot of weight  :rofl

I only said it has been done before and met with exactly the same result:  unpopulated arenas.

The development time would have been better spent on the main product.

I don't hate something that brings any new subscriptions the the game.  If you can prove that WW1 has done this, by all means do so.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »

I don't hate something that brings any new subscriptions the the game.  If you can prove that WW1 has done this, by all means do so.
The WW1 component "IS" part of the main product.  

I "AM" here because of the WW1 component.

In my humble opinion the game would have better been served had the Dr1 been added later on.  I personly would have preferred the Albatross/SE5a match rather than the Dr1/F2b as one half the initial plane set.  I also have come to believe that adding more to the WW1 component might not be a bad idea but I can just hear the howling now about putting any more time into the poor little stepchild of ww1.

I played for several hours last night with a small group of people and no one had the Dr1.  We had a blast!  Im in it to win it :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:48:09 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
I only said it has been done before and met with exactly the same result:  unpopulated arenas.

I don't hate something that brings any new subscriptions the the game.  If you can prove that WW1 has done this, by all means do so.

The problem with "its been done before" argument is that it is based on a management team that neglected the WWI arena after the creators of it left.  I think this because I think you are referring to WB's, we do not have anywhere close to what the old DoA was back then but we could have because the guys who created that are HERE.  I expect that arena would draw the WWI crowd that is waiting in the wings to find a home.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2010, 05:27:36 PM »
Now wait a minute Grizz, I was one of them that said I would want it. I have played in the WWI arena several times, I dont think people were really ready for it. Everyone in here was so use to running 350 knots at 20,000 ft that going to what 140 knots and forever to climb to what you think is 5,000 ft kinda caught people off guard. Plus with the slower speeds and no clear objective it kinda takes away from the whole thing. No base captures, no bombing raids, no gv's...........its the whole experience that people want. When they start adding these things the number of people will go up. Its cool you didnt say yes to it, after all there are no 262's in WWI.........

I said no to it because I remember how the WW1 arena functioned in Air Warrior 3.  I didn't think it was very fun.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
I expect that arena would draw the WWI crowd that is waiting in the wings to find a home.

I am completely unconvinced there is such a crowd.  You're trying to say they won't play or don't already play AH or other sims due to the lack of WW1?

I don't buy it in any way.  If it were the case, someone would have done it and made money off it by now, as there have been repeated attempts over the past 20 odd years to make WW1 flight sims available to online massive multiplayer environments.  Each one has been a fleeting failure, and rapidly dissolved after minor interest on roll-out.  Airwarrior had an arena. WB had one.  Neither did well.  It isn't out of line to expect this would do the same.   I'm sure the next "big development" will be a Korea arena.... another composite failure of Airwarrior, which was big for about a day and a half, then had 4 maybe 5 guys in the arena on average..  Again, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. 

I'm not knocking your interest. I'm simply stating fact. And, also, if ww1 keeps you here, then that is wonderful.  I simply think IMHO it is a waste of resource better suited to developing the main product.  <meh> 

:salute
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm sure the next "big development" will be a Korea arena.... another composite failure of Airwarrior, which was big for about a day and a half, then had 4 maybe 5 guys in the arena on average..  Again, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. 

I'm not knocking your interest. I'm simply stating fact. And, also, if ww1 keeps you here, then that is wonderful.  I simply think IMHO it is a waste of resource better suited to developing the main product.  <meh> 

:salute

AW3 Korea I'd say had 10 guys on average and sometimes even more than that during its hay day.  Korea was actually my home in AW until I made the switch to RRE1. 

AW1 Korea, on the other hand, had lots of action and was some of the most fun I've ever had in flight sims.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2010, 07:01:40 PM »
AW3 Korea I'd say had 10 guys on average and sometimes even more than that during its hay day.  Korea was actually my home in AW until I made the switch to RRE1. 

AW1 Korea, on the other hand, had lots of action and was some of the most fun I've ever had in flight sims.

i did not know there was such a thing,

seems that the focus is on ww2 witch i for one am happy about but the korea thing sounds like fun.
 Sabers n Migs would be cool.

I would now like to lobby yet again for the METEOR  :aok

froger
frogs are people too

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
My feelings are that the WW1 arena would do better if it was set up like the AvA with 2 sides, Allies vs. German side.  People seem to have the tendency to even out the sides in a 2 sided fight more than a 3 sided (imo), so I don't think it would end up 20 DR1s against 2 Camels.  People would want a fair fight, more or less, and split the numbers.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2010, 07:02:56 AM »
I think that there are enough WWI fans to keep it populated at least as well as Midwar, providing they have something to do other than pure furball.

From what I saw when I was flying regularly in there.

You had 2 or 3 really good pilots, people would gravitate and collect around them.
(As they lived longer that way) Until a point was reached, and the good pilots would jump to a different country.

And the process would repeat itself.

Unless you were totally rocking your game, or flying with not against those supersticks.
It was often very very frustrating trying to survive long enough to land a kill.

Now I never considered myself better than an average pilot.
But eventually it just got to be more frustration than I could deal with.

Thats why I have said, and will continue to say that the WWI arena needs "more" to do than just furball.

The furball will exist as long as people are there. What we need are fun things to do to keep the people coming back.

Balloon busting, scouting, photo recon, zep hunting, Convoy busting are just a few of the possibility's.
None of them have to be tied to "win the war" or base taking.

All of them will give people something to do when they are tired of or frustrated with the furball.
As well as encourage people to fly something other than the Dr1.