Author Topic: 10 Noob Lessons from a Noob  (Read 3255 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: 10 Noob Lessons from a Noob
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
Never compare a game to life, because life is far different from anything such as a graphical effect on a screen...

I think thats the point - the flight modelling of the aircraft in AH is so complex, detailed and realistic that to learn every nuance of just one aircrafts performance envelope under every condition that you might encounter takes years. this becomes clear when you run up against someone who has mastered a single aircraft by flying it almost exclusively for years :uhoh

add in the almost infinite complexity of ACM possible in a 1v1, let alone many vs many encounters, and the many different aircraft available to fly and you have a game which you can never really master in the same way as you can for eg. a fixed level in an arcade-style platform game against dumb AIs.

cool game :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
I think thats the point - the flight modelling of the aircraft in AH is so complex, detailed and realistic that to learn every nuance of just one aircrafts performance envelope under every condition that you might encounter takes years. this becomes clear when you run up against someone who has mastered a single aircraft by flying it almost exclusively for years :uhoh

add in the almost infinite complexity of ACM possible in a 1v1, let alone many vs many encounters, and the many different aircraft available to fly and you have a game which you can never really master in the same way as you can for eg. a fixed level in an arcade-style platform game against dumb AIs.

cool game :aok

This is where i have backup, I've flown against a person named (EAce), this guy has flown a German 109-g14 for many many years, and he's played in aces high for 10 years or more. he's a good friend of mine and we've done many 1 on 1s together. EAce plays in the DA a lot, and i will say he is an (ACE), he flies nothing but a 109, and does the best of anyone in it.

I'm different, i don't pick one plane, i fly them all, F4u's 51's 38's c205's ect ect... i have won against EAce in a 38, f4u, and even in his chosen bird, the 109. are flight and combat style is the same, may i ask how in 4 years time i can get as good as a person who has played for over 10 years in just one plane (109) ! i can fly them all, people have said i can fly anything, this game is not hard, and its not difficult...

Another point, i have played flight Sim's where it takes over 10 buttons and switches just to get your plane running and off the ground, in aces high 2 all you need is full power (shift +) and the auto pilot... That's not hard, and combat flight, its just as easy.

But all I'm doing is saying theirs not a lot to learn after years of gameplay, i just can't bring myself to understand it, and so far not one has yet told me what their still learning each day after so much experience  :).

I know (See Rule 4),  :aok.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:06:35 PM by Buck »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 03:43:35 PM »
well thats ok, I guess not every one is as experten* as you :)

* ty ack ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 03:45:28 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
well thats ok, I guess not every one is as experten* as you :)

* ty ack ;)

Oh great now you want to make me feel bad, how dare you  :lol.

I'm not a bad guy, most usually do misunderstand my post.  :aok

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
If it hasn't been said already, patience and a positive attitude will take you very far in this game.  You'd be surprised after an engagement with an enemy player how many will reply to a kind private in-game text and upon further inquiring will gladly offer you positive feedback on what you might of done wrong/right or even point out an oportunity you had during the fight to take the advantage and get the kill that you might of not seen or weren't aware of.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
If it hasn't been said already, patience and a positive attitude will take you very far in this game.  You'd be surprised after an engagement with an enemy player how many will reply to a kind private in-game text and upon further inquiring will gladly offer you positive feedback on what you might of done wrong/right or even point out an oportunity you had during the fight to take the advantage and get the kill that you might of not seen or weren't aware of.

I may have taken your reply in wrong, but are you saying that I'm posting in the wrong attitude ? or you think that in-game I'm a bully ? because in-game I'm very supportive towards others, and am very kind and polite
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:58:13 PM by Buck »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
Okay guys, please put a list of what you learned, say from yesterday...

For the longest time I've flown using tracers.  Decided that the game would be more realistic if I turned them off.  As you know, we have turned enemy icons off in the AvA arena, so you have no icon read-out of the range to the enemy plane.  No read-out, no tracers, gunnery becomes more difficult.  The last night I flew (Wednesday, I think) I found that the .50s on a P-38 aren't as straight-shooting as I thought they were when I had tracers.

Similarly, when the opponent was flying a Zeke (still Wednesday night), I decided I would try some b&z stuff.  Never did that before, I'd much rather try an energy fight or just see how long I can turn.  The b&z worked, but I didn't enjoy it and probably won't repeat.

On Monday night I flew the 51B a bit against the Franks, and learned that it shouldn't really be sharing the same sky with them.  Still, one notch of flaps produced a better turn than I thought it would.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
very good post, dud  :aok

This is where i have backup, I've flown against a person named (EAce), this guy has flown a German 109-g14 for many many years, and he's played in aces high for 10 years or more. he's a good friend of mine and we've done many 1 on 1s together. EAce plays in the DA a lot, and i will say he is an (ACE), he flies nothing but a 109, and does the best of anyone in it.
you have backup for what? just because you have had many  1 vs 1's with a particular player and you think he does/is the best of anyone in the 109 really does not prove much, except that is your own view....

exactly what have been your gameid's in game for the past 4 years, who are you flying as in game these days? why the new BBS account since April of this year?

I'm different, i don't pick one plane, i fly them all, F4u's 51's 38's c205's ect ect... i have won against EAce in a 38, f4u, and even in his chosen bird, the 109. are flight and combat style is the same, may i ask how in 4 years time i can get as good as a person who has played for over 10 years in just one plane (109) ! i can fly them all, people have said i can fly anything, this game is not hard, and its not difficult...

show / post some films of your greatness, please share your knowledge & ability's to the rest of us less knowing  :)

Another point, i have played flight Sim's where it takes over 10 buttons and switches just to get your plane running and off the ground, in aces high 2 all you need is full power (shift +) and the auto pilot... That's not hard, and combat flight, its just as easy.

immersion of push buttons to take off verses actual BFM  &/or ACM is 2 completely different objectives of a games mechanics/features......

But all I'm doing is saying theirs not a lot to learn after years of gameplay, i just can't bring myself to understand it, and so far not one has yet told me what their still learning each day after so much experience  :).

regarding Blue Text: Gameplay as in "winning the arena reset" I would agree after 4 years of it, not much more to learn on that aspect.....

regarding Green Text: You finally have admitted to the problem, you are not willing to let anyone help you or self admit that you have reached a plateau and that you need help to get past that bump in the road.....

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:38:30 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
(AH) is no different and no more complicated then any other combat flight sim that has been made over the years...

Theirs learning and experimenting....  :) but it really does not matter i guess.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:55:07 AM by Buck »

Offline Threeup

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
The good thing about transparency is it's all there.
That's what I like about scores and one's ability to check other players scores both in game and on the net.
I'm not saying that scores are a yardstick for ability, but there's usually some relationship between the 2.
And don't tell me no-one checks when they belt or get belted by a player they're not familiar with nor have a look at some of the top ranked people and wonder "How the hell did they get that good?".
The point I'm leading to Buck is twofold;
1) A previous post asked for your in game handle.
2) You aren't that humble in stating your own ablilities.

If you care about score and your 2 handles are the same (Buck) I don't think you're threatening any of the top positions in the game any time soon.
And I'm saying this in light of your estimation of your own abilities, not as a derision.

You said the game wasn't hard - with respect I think you are totally and absolutely as wrong as you can get. Either that or your definition of hard isn't the same as mine.
Maybe re-think your statement - what do you think?

The Mighty Raw Prawns

"It's all good fun until someone loses an eye" Rooster Cogburn

http://youtu.be/pxM8XB61ZvU

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 01:26:47 AM »
I must admit, one can not truthfully depend on score here in Aces high......... not totally

for example: just last Friday Night then again Sunday Morning....... I was Private messaged (2) times, by 2 people I have never heard of calling a skilless noob, one time. the other time telling me I got lucky being a noob in a no skill needed flying plane

think I was in a P38, then an F4U1D then a P51 D then a F4U1? perhaps.... the Friday night fella, kept  flaming away on open channel. you skilless this , skilless that... yet I had no score was just a big ol ZERO...

today ( Sunday Morning, I had an overall rank of like 1200+  and the Private Messanger calling me a noob......was ranked like 120 or 200 overall.... yet they see a very high rank numerically ( meaning poor flyer to them ). and think they can smack talk and thump their chest....

even had another low ranked ( as in low number rank  ) tell me to let it go, ease off ..... I thought it was hilarious ....

one day people will learn that numbers do not mean anything except to maybe a person that is fooled by being ranked in the TOP 10  :O 

just have fun and fight. then if you get shot down , get another plane and ask the person that shot you down, what you did wrong..... it really is that simple....  and you might even will gain a new friend out of it, and maybe even learn why you got shot down and will learn to not get so upset as to have a dang excuse everytime you have to up a new plane again ..... ........

( just ranting a bit ) nothing serious........

still will say it again

Dud!  one helluva a Good Post Opened/Started...... my apologys for messing it up and getting off track........ wished it was sticky'ed and locked right after you posted the first Post  :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 04:26:29 AM »
I gota know who buck is as well.

What is the ID you fly under and used for the past 4 years?
(are you the "buck" from the CH squad that I am thinking of)

Learning more and more each day you play ? even after years of experience ?

How can that be true, if it is, please put a list on here for me wild, on what your still learning each day ?

Because i know this game is not as difficult as most people say  :).

Let us spend some time in the DA Buck.  I would love to see what all you think you know.

I too learn something new all the time and am constantly striving to better myself in the game.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:35:33 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
Great post and skuzzy plz sticy this one...

All 10 items are still applicable to the older pilots too. I occasionally go to TA or DA just to learn new tactics.

As I was once told before "if you don't learn something new everyday, then you must be dead."

See ya in the skies and :salute
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2010, 01:57:12 AM »
I gota know who buck is as well.

What is the ID you fly under and used for the past 4 years?
(are you the "buck" from the CH squad that I am thinking of)

Let us spend some time in the DA Buck.  I would love to see what all you think you know.

I too learn something new all the time and am constantly striving to better myself in the game.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,288026.msg3654741.html#msg3654741

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 03:58:42 AM »
interesting.

no Flying Squirrels squad currently on the roster. as for the squad members:
tallboy currently in LD (good choice btw :aok)
no danman21 on the roster
no jaces on the roster
no Darkalex on the roster
no Stock2 on the roster
(all 2-weekers since disappeared?)

i can fly them all, people have said i can fly anything, this game is not hard, and its not difficult...

Late War Tour 125 Fighter Scores for Buck
                           Score     Rank 
Kills per Death + 1        1.05      1097
Kills per Sortie           0.78      893
Kills per Hour of Flight   5.47      665
Kills Hit Percentage       3.11      2111
Kill Points                2941.38   1452

I know score doesnt count for everything but this suggests you have more to learn.
71 (Eagle) Squadron