Author Topic: Long cross country solo..  (Read 603 times)

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
Long cross country solo..
« on: June 08, 2010, 04:25:15 PM »
Just finnished and I feel like this guy ---->  :banana:

Went very well with no problems whatsoever.. Cessna 172s, Sonoma - Auburn - Lampson - Sonoma..

Just wanted to share..  :D

NOVA - Army of Muppets - Inactive

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
Re: Long cross country solo..
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
Congrats....

HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »
Now do it on a bike. (cycle)   :rock

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:20:19 PM »
Be like Forest Gump and run! Why? 'Cuz you just felt like running!  :D
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:26:02 PM »
WTG

Just out of curiosity, did you stop there or just did a touch and go?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »
WTG

Just out of curiosity, did you stop there or just did a touch and go?

Thanks.. Yeah I stopped both places and took a break to reset and make sure everything was in order for my next leg.. Also, I didnt want to rush through it all just doing touch and go's. I wanted to soak it all in so to speak..  :rock

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »
Now do it on a bike. (cycle)   :rock

Yeah, or walk.

Congrats just the same. That is quite an accomplishment.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:25 PM »
Congrats - got mine coming up in a couple of weeks - if work will ever let me find the time...

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:16:11 PM »
Congratulations!!  For me the solo XC's was where I really started to feel like a pilot.  You put together everything you've learned and fly off to an airport you've never seen before.  And then magically you're back home in one piece at the end of the day!

Offline xNOVAx

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »
Congratulations!!  For me the solo XC's was where I really started to feel like a pilot.  You put together everything you've learned and fly off to an airport you've never seen before.  And then magically you're back home in one piece at the end of the day!

Thanks.. Yeah it's really starting to feel like I'm a pilot now.. Everything is coming together nicely and I feel much more comfortable flying the airplane, using the radios (VFR flight following etc..), and navigating.. The long x-country solo is a big confidence booster for sure..  :aok

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Cross country is why most of us want a private pilot's license as opposed to a sport pilot cert. You can then take trips and see new places from the air without the hassle of airline travel for shorter hops. Given the time you have to arrive to go through security and layovers you can actually get there faster in a 120 MPH plane than an airliner for under 400 mile trips.

Now you are on the final leg of getting the license. Good luck and stay safe.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 02:33:00 AM »
Congrats! :banana: :cheers:

I still remember mine  :)

I just got my SEP(L) qualification revalidated, this means that I will be a hazard in the european skies for 2 more years  :rock :D

:airplane:
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:38:51 AM »
Congrats! I remember my first... Despite over a year of local "putting around" in gliders, that first legitimate cross country solo spooked me. Granted, we're fortunate enough that VFR navigation is INSANELY easy due to incredibly unique geography, what with the islands and all...

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 03:16:04 PM »
I remember my first long solo cross country like it was yesterday,when in fact it was 1977.  Crystal, MN to Montevideo, MN to Park Rapids, MN and return to Crystal. 

The first leg went well as did the second, but I got a bit lost on the third.  I flew over a place I didn't recognize but saw a lot of M60 tanks parked.  Oops!  Restricted airspace over Camp Ripley!  I knew where I was all of a sudden and got the heck outa there :)  5 hours of flying and I was back at my starting point.

Good memories.   Congrats on completing yours NOVA! :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
LOL Guppy. That's the problem round here (Los Angeles basin) - blink for a minute and you're somewhere you shouldn't be.