Author Topic: America at the World Cup?  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
America at the World Cup?
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
thoughts? predictions? comments?

i saw the second half of the match vs. Slovenia, and i must say i've never seen U.S. Soccer played like that, it was amazing!

im excited for the final 16! :x
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:35:16 PM by Wildcat1 »
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
Re: America at the World Cup?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 03:50:23 PM »
Given the European teams are busy imploding, who knows? Wouldn't surprise me if the USA make the quarter finals.

The quality of the football generally hasn't been great but the fact that it's so close is making this World Cup pretty exciting. Next four days should be fun as the groups are all decided.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
America plays hard when they think they need to and don't play as hard when they think they should win. Hopefully they keep the fire under their bellybutton and don't blow it against Algeria

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:57:53 PM »
Disappointing first half the other day, second half, much better.  Then the blown call.  :furious

If they can learn to adjust to the other team a little sooner, they might have a chance.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 04:03:37 PM »
Disappointing first half the other day, second half, much better.  Then the blown call.  :furious

If they can learn to adjust to the other team a little sooner, they might have a chance.

agreed. and man, that call was horrible! :furious

its because no one wants to see the U.S. succeed
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
agreed. and man, that call was horrible! :furious

its because no one wants to see the U.S. succeed

It's because the US Coaches are a joke.    Don't blame FIFA for the USA's ineptness on the field. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DYNAMITE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.texasaircav.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:30:37 PM »
It's because the US Coaches are a joke.    Don't blame FIFA for the USA's ineptness on the field. 

They hate our freedom!

;) :cheers:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »
You are blaming a blown call on coaches?

I just wish it could have been reviewable...or the ref is forced to state a reason why...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
You are blaming a blown call on coaches?

I just wish it could have been reviewable...or the ref is forced to state a reason why...

Come on.   I watched the 1st half and on Slovenia's 1st goal, Howard didn't move an inch.   They did sh*t for the 47 minutes of the 1st half.   To gripe about a blown call is pointless.   They f*cked around the 1st half and it bit them in the arse.   Altidore needs to be benched. he is about as useless as a striker can be.   He's absolutely a pain to watch, the ball is either whiffed/missed by him 9 times out of 10.   

The US if they advance, will not last long.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
I'm assuming that by FIFA, you mean the World Cup?
FIFA being the bureaucratic fat boys who control Football (Federation of International Football Associations) and the World Cup being the competition?

It has been said for many years; If the US took an interest in the sport the world plays instead of the sports they don't, they have the potential to dominate. Look how far you've come since USA '94. From perennial whipping boys to the assured and confident team we see today.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »
Hehe I did watch the replay on the first goal and laughed.

I agree their heads are up their arses until they figure out they can't win by looking at the other team. Hopefully it was a wakeup call however. I hate even watching the WC because of those damn vuvuzelas.

I'll always root for my home country but I don't have much hope in them at this point.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:06:51 PM »
Hehe I did watch the replay on the first goal and laughed.

I agree their heads are up their arses until they figure out they can't win by looking at the other team. Hopefully it was a wakeup call however. I hate even watching the WC because of those damn vuvuzelas.

I'll always root for my home country but I don't have much hope in them at this point.

:cheers:    Same here on the US thing, but I am a realist and do NOT buy into the "hype" of our Team.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 06:01:59 PM »
The USA has a fast and athletic team, they just lack the technical ability at the moment imho, however, if football/soccer continues to gain interest in America, you should be serious contenders in the sport as the country is so large, giving you alot more players to choose from, with the help of foreign managers and players.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 06:17:33 PM »
The USA has a fast and athletic team, they just lack the technical ability at the moment imho, however, if football/soccer continues to gain interest in America, you should be serious contenders in the sport as the country is so large, giving you alot more players to choose from, with the help of foreign managers and players.

If you cannot pass/dribble...."speed" is pointless.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »
Masherbrum must have tried out for the soccer team and got rejected.   :neener:
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.