Author Topic: Gun sight image size analysis  (Read 31734 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Gun sight image size analysis
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »

auto angle level, then elevator trim to put the pipper in the centre of the target might be best. then you got the problem that you're in a slow descent so the target will be lower when the rounds hit it than when they leave the barrel.

basically this is going to be almost impossible to test accurately because the motion vector isnt the same as the sight line. the answers in the coad (hint hint ;))

the first underlined part, I agree got to hold center of piper in the center of target before hitting  Shift X ( Auto Angle )  but like I posted, that was a good handful of years ago, and I will not claim it to be better or worse  tru or a myth, was just throwing it out there verse auto pilot ( X )

I love the 2nd underlined quoted part.....

as for testing all of these different guns & trajectory, convergence, etc.... Speed will play a part in every aspect...... is why I like when Baumer was posting the speeds he was at when firing at the Target...... to me this is very important, and the trajectory will ( should ) change through out the speed range example  ( 125 IAS,, then 175 IAS, then 225 IAS, etc.up to 350 IAS ) but I have not seen anyone take testing that far into the matter in aces high though, but I trust HTC has coad'ed it to be in effect......

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »

Another fact that some people seem to forget is take the amount of space in the wing of the spitfire for example. now to fit the .303 machine guns especially the 2 machine guns in the outer part of the wing the .303 had to be modified. and to make it fit the barrel length had to shortened thus what happen's when you shorten the barrel length, you can decrease the effective range of the weapon. Now i believe to compinsate for that the inside of the barrel i.e the groove was how to put it tightened to improve the velocity of the bullet to bring it almost back to normal.

Now given a couple of days i may be able to back this up as i will have to dig out the info from a source i collected in the 80's and 90's called airplane magizine. its a collection of magizines with Data and spec's on every aircraft built from 1930 to 1999. so please do bear with me.

thankyou
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »
Looking at how much room there is for an M2, granted in the root of an E wing, I doubt they had any trouble fitting in the M1919s even in the outermost positions.

Offline Jabberwock

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »
Another fact that some people seem to forget is take the amount of space in the wing of the spitfire for example. now to fit the .303 machine guns especially the 2 machine guns in the outer part of the wing the .303 had to be modified and to make it fit the barrel length had to shortened

Um, I'm afraid not.

Spitfire Mk Ia wing diagram:

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/concise-guide-to-spitfire-wing-types.html

The .303s were not cut down in any way to fit into the Spitfire wing.

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:21 PM »
Um, I'm afraid not.

Not by mutch but if you look closley 2 of the .303's are shorter due to the area they are in for what can only be speculated as this diagram only shows the Guns wheel bay and structure. aha just re looked at that diagram look at the ammo storage in the wing you will find 2 of the guns are shorter. by a guess of up 2 3 inches :)

good find on that tho   :aok
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:42:51 PM by BulletVI »

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Looking at how much room there is for an M2, granted in the root of an E wing, I doubt they had any trouble fitting in the M1919s even in the outermost positions.
(Image removed from quote.)

with the mk 14 and above there was room as your diagram ilistrate's but as the next one shows the .303 guns are offset forward and back to make room for the ammo box's.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
Not by mutch but if you look closley 2 of the .303's are shorter due to the area they are in for what can only be speculated as this diagram only shows the Guns wheel bay and structure.

Not by mutch but if you look closley 2 of the .303's are shorter due to the area they are in for what can only be speculated as this diagram only shows the Guns wheel bay and structure. aha just re looked at that diagram look at the ammo storage in the wing you will find 2 of the guns are shorter. by a guess of up 2 3 inches :)

with the mk 14 and above there was room as your diagram ilistrate's but as the next one shows the .303 guns are offset forward and back to make room for the ammo box's.
First you say they were shortened then you say they were offset...which is it?

The Mk 14 Spitfire didn't have wings that were wider than a Spit 1, you should have looked at and read all of the pages in that link from Jabberwock.

No, the guns weren't shortened, nor was the rifling or "groove" as you put it, modified to compensate for shortened barrels. Those guns were purpose built off the Browning U.S. AN M2 .30 caliber, by Vickers Armstrong company specifically for use in aircraft, and they are placed in the wing in a staggered pattern.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:11 AM »
First you say they were shortened then you say they were offset...which is it?

The Mk 14 Spitfire didn't have wings that were wider than a Spit 1, you should have looked at and read all of the pages in that link from Jabberwock.

No, the guns weren't shortened, nor was the rifling or "groove" as you put it, modified to compensate for shortened barrels. Those guns were purpose built off the Browning U.S. AN M2 .30 caliber, by Vickers Armstrong company specifically for use in aircraft, and they are placed in the wing in a staggered pattern.

Ok but let's dig beeper in to this im still trying to find some info that i have in the attic ~( there's 24 years of junk up there so bear with me )
They do appear to be offset but remember to offset them the barrel would have to be shortened on two of them other wise the Spit mk 1 would have two barrel's pointing out of the wing's and we all know that it dosnt have that do's it ??  :)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »
no need to dig deeper, jabberwock has done it already. you just need to look at what he posted for you:

71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2010, 01:05:53 PM »
Ahhemm would you also like information like this to be supplied.  :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:17:06 PM by BulletVI »

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
AHA or how about this.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:18:03 PM by BulletVI »

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
Ok not quite the gunnery info i was hopeing for as its picture sreads out to be bigger than A3 size of paper ulp and my scanners no that big  :salute  :aok
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:19:39 PM by BulletVI »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2010, 01:15:50 PM »
ok I give up.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Bullet drop due to convergence settings...  Check out this thread, especially the last few posts.  I also explain an easy method to get reliable, repeatable results...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,291146.0.html

Bullet drop is greatly effected by convergence, much more-so with wing-mounted guns than with nose-mounted.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
You've got a magic touch, Baumer, I mentioned this way back when the Hogs got updated and not a word. Think you can convince Hitech to give us that lighter land-based FG-1A? ;-)

I remember that!

Regardless of how/who, it's nice to see it getting revised/corrected.

(Even though I probably won't see it in game, since I just use a lil' dot).
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson