Author Topic: Fighter Score system  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fighter Score system
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
4) To have great fun pissing of the vulchee.
5) To see if you can beet your previous record of vulches.
6) To determine exactly how long one guy will continue to take off.
7) To see how precisely you can fly a perfect circle loop and kill the guy at the bottom with the exact same speed as the previous loop.
8) To see how many head shots you can do in a row.
9) To enjoy the radio traffic that can follows.

HiTech

:rofl :rofl :rofl  :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
I get it, you're saying that if I sent a UAV somewhere and dropped bombs on a target, that wouldn't be combat since there isn't anyone physically in the plane.

Maybe fighting a fire isn't really "fighting" or "combatting" a fire either since there is no human opposition.

Nice job running all the way out into 1delta10tangoville.  :aok

What this game has to do with UAVs and fire fighting? Go buy boxed game if you don't like 'human' opposition...

Anyways, I have a friend who got awarded Purple Heart for thorn ripping half an inch cut in his nut sack while taking a crap. He's very proud of it...

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »
What this game has to do with UAVs and fire fighting? Go buy boxed game if you don't like 'human' opposition...

Anyways, I have a friend who got awarded Purple Heart for thorn ripping half an inch cut in his nut sack while taking a crap. He's very proud of it...
Oh, you were talking about the "game"...so drinking a beer in an empty bar has something to do with the game as much as it has to do with combat?  :headscratch:

You must have been referring to combat, or fighting, being a purposeful violent conflict meant to establish dominance over the opposition regardless of what level that conflict occurs or whether it is between individuals, groups or countries against each other, natural or man made threats, ideals, philosophies or doctrines, etc... That would be the first correct thing you said.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
Oh, you were talking about the "game"...so drinking a beer in an empty bar has something to do with the game as much as it has to do with combat?  :headscratch:

Maybe you'll get it on third try... Then maybe not, so I'll help you. Combat with "opposition". Mainly human. That's the proper way of having a bar fight or even play this game.

You must have been referring to combat, or fighting, being a purposeful violent conflict meant to establish dominance over the opposition regardless of what level that conflict occurs or whether it is between individuals, groups or countries against each other, natural or man made threats, ideals, philosophies or doctrines, etc...

I wasn't, so save that for somebody else.

That would be the first correct thing you said.

http://www.aaamath.com/cntk2ax2.htm

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
Maybe you'll get it on third try... Then maybe not, so I'll help you. Combat with "opposition". Mainly human. That's the proper way of having a bar fight or even play this game.
Well, that leaves out combat in this game because there aren't any humans opposing each other in it...it's all programming code and computer generated graphics. Or are you talking about the humans who are sitting at home in front of their computer monitors manipulating the computer created aircraft and vehicles with joy sticks? Sounds like a computer generated version of a real life UAV, a human uses a computer and joystick to manipulate an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2010, 08:04:55 PM »
1) It pisses off the other guy   -ego (pleasure of pissing of others/ a sense of power over another)
2) It's fun
3) It really pisses off the other guy  -  -ego (pleasure of pissing of others/ a sense of power over another)

and almost all the other stated reasons were once again... to fluff ones ego.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »

You two sound like an old married couple

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2010, 08:26:07 AM »

But vulching is fun...nothing pisses off the other guy as quickly as vulching him, well, maybe shooting his chute.  Frankly, vulching is also one of the most easiest things to prevent, just don't up from a base that is being actively vulched.  It is really that simple but of course, people will find whining about it to be far more easier.

ack-ack

But it's not very sporting. A game is supposed to be fun. Empty victories that required no skill to achieve are worthless. Since winning means nothing, since score means nothing, all that is left is the fun of the competition. If you begin a race with a headstart, are you happy you won the race? Where is the fun in that?

Different situations call for different behavior. It easy to understand the situational changes and differences at any given time in the game. Vulching seems OK, even required, if you are trying to take a base. But when 4 bandits are hovering overhead, having shot out the ack, and make no attempt to level the town or arrange for troops, what is the point of vulching? Sure I can go to another base, I can also log off and cut my grass, but what fun is that?  Here's a suggestion, I take off and try to climb to an effective alt and you wait and jump in when the situation seems close to fair. Then if I win, one of the other 3 bandits can take his turn. If I get killed I'll re-up. We can do this for hours if you like. Wouldn't we all find that fun? If you vulch me I will log after the first one, and you can fight your wingman.

The game is dynamic and fair fights can't be expected at all times, but a little restraint in unfair situations would go a long way to making the game better for all.

It surprises me how many seem to revel in a lopsided vulchfest, and will endevor to create unfair situations for the sake of ringing up easy, empty victories. No offense Ack-Ack, but I just don't see the fun in an unfair fight.

On that note I would like to thank Shuffler and Soulyss and some of the other 38 aces that rolled into a field on Sunday. They stayed between 5-8K and just far enough away that we could take off and get some alt. We had about 5 uppers taking on about 5 of them. They were coordinated, we weren't. They probably got 10 kills each, and I managed to get soulyss isolated long enough to kill him once. But this 5v5 went on for about an 45min to an hour. Sure I was getting my elevators handed to me but I was having a blast, Because they were giving us a fair chance.

Fair play is better play.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
4) To have great fun pissing of the vulchee.
5) To see if you can beet your previous record of vulches.
6) To determine exactly how long one guy will continue to take off.
7) To see how precisely you can fly a perfect circle loop and kill the guy at the bottom with the exact same speed as the previous loop.
8) To see how many head shots you can do in a row.
9) To enjoy the radio traffic that can follows.

HiTech

Pffft, vulcher  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »
Maybe you'll get it on third try...

Really, has that ever worked?  :lol  This guy does not go fishing, he is going in combat with the fish  :rofl 
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Glen69

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
Most of the "NOE crowd" have been getting their butts handed to them Boner.   You rarely see them and their "whack-a-mole" BS in the Arenas.   Now that they are forced to "fight", you see them dropping like flies. 
  :huh We must not be fighting each other, i've personally been apart of a number off successful base takes, 5 in 5 hours or so. Mind you, i'm not a vulcher, i'll finish off every fighter out of the ack first.

As for upping from a vulched base i'll do it for the satisfaction of reppelling the vulchers all the way back to thier home base.  :aok
Do you really think we sit around here trying to find ways to piss off the customer base?
  :headscratch: Only the customers that squad up, mission up and take bases.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:34 AM »
But it's not very sporting.  
I'm not in this game for sport.  I log in for one reason and one reason only.  To put to DEATH all red toons.  If you are logged on and in game then you are protected by NO RULES.  You are fair game.  If you are any good you will avoid being killed by me and if you are lucky, and I screw up, you will kill me.  There it is.

but I was having a blast, Because they were giving us a fair chance.
Lol, if you think those guys were giving you a "fair chance" I would suggest you think again.  They were just pulling you away from the ack, maintaining advantage all the way and handing you yours like the pros they are.  The good news is you had fun.  Thats the spirit :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:13:29 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2010, 09:22:14 AM »
it looks like this has turned into a "find the fights" talk.

go attack a base. even if you just fly around inside the dar ring, someone will come looking for ya.

in mw, me and a couple of others created a nifty little fight over v64. it was fun, although not very long.

the fun in these arenas is what each one of us makes it. nothing more, nothing less.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:53 AM »
Lol, and your point is?  It almost sounds like you are envious.......

Speaking for myself: I get zero satisfaction when my toon gets killed.  OTOH, I get a LOT of satisfaction when my toon kills your toon.  Thats what I do. Thats why I log on.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2010, 11:12:43 AM »
On that note I would like to thank Shuffler and Soulyss and some of the other 38 aces that rolled into a field on Sunday. They stayed between 5-8K and just far enough away that we could take off and get some alt. We had about 5 uppers taking on about 5 of them. They were coordinated, we weren't. They probably got 10 kills each, and I managed to get soulyss isolated long enough to kill him once. But this 5v5 went on for about an 45min to an hour. Sure I was getting my elevators handed to me but I was having a blast, Because they were giving us a fair chance.

Fair play is better play.  :salute

Thanks Vink, I know we had fun on our side.  When you're attacking like that and fighting near the other sides field I find it to be a bit of a balancing act.  Being that close to their field you have to keep a bit of alt because at the drop of a hat the numbers coming off the field can go from 1-2 uppers to 5-10 uppers so it's easy to get overwhelmed with little to no warning.  

Personally I don't find vulching to be particularly fun anymore, but I did once upon a time and generally don't fault people for engaging in it, it's easy for me to see the appeal.  Nowadays I may grab a kill or two then usual putter off somewhere else.  It's pretty rare to be surprised by a vulch and in that way it sort of takes participation by both sides to make it happen.  I know it's a fine line but I like to at least let them get a little speed and alt under their wings before I attack.  I certainly have no qualms about attacking from a significant advantage (I know I spend enough time on the other side of the equation to appreciate an advantage when I have one. :)), but it's my interest to keep them upping and coming back for more, to keep the battle going they should feel like they have a fighting chance each time they roll down the runway.  

Of course I have little interest in actually taking the airfield, if that were my goal then I would likely be more prone to engage in prolonged vulching.  In many ways it's preferable to the attackers than taking down the hangers since it allows the field to be put to immediate use, and it's amazing how quickly an La-7 or other plane can get up and nail a couple troops before they get to the map room.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 12:29:39 PM by Soulyss »
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.