Author Topic: Radar + Strategy  (Read 4112 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Radar + Strategy
« on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
Why do I keep seeing players post that there is no longer any "strategy" left in the MA's because of the Dar change?

What is wrong with having to actually FIGHT that enemy to get a capture?

If anything the new radar has caused players to actually USE strategy now.

Players that actually employ tactics and strategy have not really been negatively effective by the Dar change.

Just a guess, and this might not be accurate, but I get the impression that the players who thought they were using "strategy" by running NOE hordes to undefended base are probably players that also feel Aerial Combat is flying around face shooting every nme they find.

There is no more strategy in the NOE horde than there is ACM in face shooting.

NOE hordes and face shooting are tactics found on the lower end of the AH Learning Curve.

There is SO much more to the game that they have not yet discovered.

So they cry because the ezy mode tactics don't work as well anymore and cry because it now takes some time, practice, effort, and honest to gosh Strategy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:55:15 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Rader + Strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »
You realize your whine carries no validity due to using the word 'hoard' when you meant to use 'horde?'  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »
You realize your whine carries no validity due to using the word 'hoard' when you meant to use 'horde?'  :devil

(*fixed*)
 :)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
Whats a Rader? :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
NOE hordes and face shooting are tactics found on the lower end of the AH Learning Curve.

I'm crushed.   :cry
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »

rofl...

y'all are killing me here..

(fixed)
— George Patton

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Re: Radar + Strategy
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
 :lol

*Beer
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »
ezy?   :headscratch:
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:11:40 PM »

i think that's that thing that golden earring loves.  :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
I think you're missing a component, Lute.  It occurred to me as some of the 'new dar sucks' whines have taken a different angle the last day or two.

As strange as it seems to me, there appears to be a group of people who actually *like* to play virtual whack-a-mole looking for the NOE hordes.  The new radar scheme has taken away their prey, and they now have nothing to feed on.  I can see that being kind of annoying.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
New dar sucks.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »
HOnestly,the strategy hasnt changed much..Ok,so one wants the dar dead now before coming in so dots arent seen at 65 feet,or where they are coming in at alt,thats it really,as far as change in strategy..The rest of the strategy employed when it comes to taking bases at ALT or NOE,is STILL THE SAME for base takers..

I will say the ONLY thing that has really changed is due to the towns having "HIDDEN" buildings..(yes thats a joke).but buildings are pretty difficult to see at times,so a mission needs more "EYES" in the sky looking around town..

You know its funny,with missions,you are damned if you do,and damned if you dont by the other side..

If you come in NOE/ALT get down the VH,deack the field and cap it(VULCH)..then everyone starts whining about that..

IF you come in NOE/ALT and take ALL the hangars down,(AGAIN) WHINES GALORE...

Make up your minds..And while you are all deciding about how it should be,I will be having my  fun in the MA's.. :salute

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:56:52 PM by falcon23 »

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:26 PM »
What seems interesting to me after reading some of the furball versus base capture discussions/arguments over the years is that somehow the two ideas seem to have become separate entities in peoples minds.   A large part of the problem seemed to be that the proponents in each camp tended to narrow the opposing camps into very specific and over simplified definitions.   

Then changes were made and some people cried foul, that HTC was catering to one group to the exclusion of the other.  I don't think HTC saw either group as a problem, but rather saw the fact that there were multiple groups as a problem on it's own.  The changes were made in my own ever so humble opinion to promote player versus player combat, to put players in the same space at the same time.  Whether those players want to play cartoon fighter pilot, drop a bomb, drive a tank, capture a field is much less relevant. 

People are always going to gravitate towards certain parts of the game, but when those groups become so insulated from the rest of the community and each other then that can be bad for the health of the game as a whole.

Somewhere we got the idea that furballs were mindless and base captures were exercises in attacking defenseless tool sheds and the radar changes were made to steer the two groups back together in some fashion.

This is my own interpretation, I don't speak for or pretend to know what discussions took place that lead to this decision at HTC. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »
What seems interesting to me after reading some of the furball versus base capture discussions/arguments over the years is that somehow the two ideas seem to have become separate entities in peoples minds.   A large part of the problem seemed to be that the proponents in each camp tended to narrow the opposing camps into very specific and over simplified definitions.   

Then changes were made and some people cried foul, that HTC was catering to one group to the exclusion of the other.  I don't think HTC saw either group as a problem, but rather saw the fact that there were multiple groups as a problem on it's own.  The changes were made in my own ever so humble opinion to promote player versus player combat, to put players in the same space at the same time.  Whether those players want to play cartoon fighter pilot, drop a bomb, drive a tank, capture a field is much less relevant. 

People are always going to gravitate towards certain parts of the game, but when those groups become so insulated from the rest of the community and each other then that can be bad for the health of the game as a whole.

Somewhere we got the idea that furballs were mindless and base captures were exercises in attacking defenseless tool sheds and the radar changes were made to steer the two groups back together in some fashion.

This is my own interpretation, I don't speak for or pretend to know what discussions took place that lead to this decision at HTC. 

A fair analog but the this line
The changes were made in my own ever so humble opinion to promote player versus player combat, to put players in the same space at the same time.

Is a better interpretation then saying putting 2 groups back together. We really don't view things as 2 groups.

HiTech

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:34:46 PM »
Thing is, if I want to furball I can usually find one, even if I have to switch from one Late War arena to the other one.  Likewise, if I want to do a base cap I can usually find one in progress as well.  The game is easily flexible enough to satisfy both styles of play.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"