Author Topic: Battlefield Europe, No advancement, couple of changes  (Read 1779 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Battlefield Europe, No advancement, couple of changes
« on: August 26, 2010, 11:37:45 AM »
FROM THE FRONTLINES:

Battle has stalled, Neither side has captured any territory other than an abandoned v-base and port and there is no advancement.

Only neutral bases were taken and they don't count, so map stays up.

On this map, there are not enough v-bases to really include them for both sides.

Airbase only with the new layouts and towns to destroy as well, has made it much more difficult to capture territory here than on the last map.

To counter this, town buildings can now be destroyed with mg rounds and the downtime has been increased to one hour.

Objectives tallied again on Friday midnight CST.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
Re: Battlefield Europe, No advancement, couple of changes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »
Flew in there the other night and gotta say, was much fun!   Historical to the bone with real world enemy intercepts and runnings (hehe)  using no Icons.   My wingman  was chasing an enemy and dar bar only showed 1.   However the dar bar was misleading because there were 2 enemies.  He got shot down because of this,  did not keep good sa  (as in real life).

I REALLY like this aspect of dar bar to announce enemy in sector but  it does not grow if there are more.    2 enemies  =  1 dar bar  which makes you think there is only 1 enemy.

I have never been a fan or darbar due to this aspect to give away the size of an attack,   I am completely in favor of only seeing 1 bar bar to get you to that sector,  but buyer beware that there may be more than 1 enemy fighter flying.  

Excellent set up overall.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:50:47 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
 :salute Jimson, I can't wait to roll in and make some town "popcorn"  :D

I must say that the AvA is on the cutting edge in working with what we have.  I believe the win objectives has been a difficult road without custom maps that allow for the 2 sided battle and lower player numbers.  You sir are doing a magnificent job.  

:salute  All of the Staff members (a long list that have contributed to conquering new areas of AvA fun).

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
I have to agree.  While I can't participate in this one (and I'm  :furious about it) I see some definite improvements / imagination in the AVA setups. Keep it up gents.   :aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
:salute Jimson, I can't wait to roll in and make some town "popcorn"  :D

I must say that the AvA is on the cutting edge in working with what we have.  I believe the win objectives has been a difficult road without custom maps that allow for the 2 sided battle and lower player numbers.  You sir are doing a magnificent job. 
What he said!  Well done, Jimson!  :salute

:salute  All of the Staff members (a long list that have contributed to conquering new areas of AvA fun).

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 11:52:01 AM »
Thanks guys,

While most seemed to enjoy it, it doesn't seem to have led to a significant increase in population, but I'll take what I can get  :lol
 :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
I have a theory about that.  Most of the people who usually play in AVA are above average in the air and probably on the ground.  You have to have a lot of self confidence or a suicide wish to go where you know you're going to get smacked around constantly for a long time.  That's just my opinion of course.  I've been wrong before.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 05:22:13 PM »
I have a theory about that.  Most of the people who usually play in AVA are above average in the air and probably on the ground.  You have to have a lot of self confidence or a suicide wish to go where you know you're going to get smacked around constantly for a long time.  That's just my opinion of course.  I've been wrong before.

There are guys in the other arenas that can fly circles around most AVA pilots. The "AVA pilot is superior" attitude was a bust years ago. It's a hopeful myth. The brutal truth is most people want to fly their favorite airplane constantly and fight the chess war. I'm an average player at best and I get smacked around much more in the LWA arenas than I do in the AVA.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
There are guys in the other arenas that can fly circles around most AVA pilots. The "AVA pilot is superior" attitude was a bust years ago. It's a hopeful myth. The brutal truth is most people want to fly their favorite airplane constantly and fight the chess war. I'm an average player at best and I get smacked around much more in the LWA arenas than I do in the AVA.

Oh trust me I really don't want to bring back that attitude by any stretch of the imagination...

Hiya Shifty 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »
The brutal truth is most people want to fly their favorite airplane constantly and fight the chess war.

And go wherever their squad is.

And go to the arenas where the biggest numbers are (heh:  I laugh at the threads where people complain that there are only 50 people in LW blue).

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »
I generally roll my eyes at any thread that isn't constructive. 

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi chaps!

Back from vacations, new joystick, eager to fly with my new squad mate, Helmet, and I just wanted to have a few good fights...

Logged in and AvA was empty, found him in LW tried to enter and Arena CAP didnīt allowed it. Ten minutes after we were flying around in MW looking for a fight. We managed to find a couple of fights but numbers were so low that we decided to leave and come to AvA.

We arrived and we had a blast, 3 vs 2, 3 vs 3, lots of good fights. We logged off just because it was so late for us (was over midnight for us and we were working early next morning).

I tell you: I have more fun in AvA with 5 players than in any other arena with 50. AvA has the highest satisfaction / #player ratio in AH!

Cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
Back from vacations, new joystick, eager to fly with my new squad mate, Helmet, and I just wanted to have a few good fights...

What kind of stick did you get Sparrow? My Saitek X52 Pro took a dump and a couple of weeks ago I made the switch to a CH stick and throttle.
I'm struggling to get used to them. I like the smoothness but after years of the all the buttons being in the same place I'm struggling with the positions of them on the CH stick and throttle. Not to mention my flying has been cut drastically. I work outdoors and the Texas 100+ degree heat has me worn out I barely make squadnight and FSOs.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »

I think you are both right.

You are going to have more of both newer players with less skill and experienced players with more skill in the main arena, leaving the AvA with very few true newbies.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
What kind of stick did you get Sparrow? My Saitek X52 Pro took a dump and a couple of weeks ago I made the switch to a CH stick and throttle.
I'm struggling to get used to them. I like the smoothness but after years of the all the buttons being in the same place I'm struggling with the positions of them on the CH stick and throttle. Not to mention my flying has been cut drastically. I work outdoors and the Texas 100+ degree heat has me worn out I barely make squadnight and FSOs.

shifty, when i switched from the X52 to ch, i had a tough time too. just get the buttons where you like em. once you have it set, its just a bit of time, and you'll be right back at the top of your game. good luck with the new stick!