Author Topic: Questions about the AVA  (Read 10659 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Questions about the AVA
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2010, 10:24:57 PM »
ya know? i shouldn't go here.....but i've seen a different side of storchie over on flamewarriors. i get the impression he's really not a bad guy at all.

He is not a bad guy at all, really nice once you get to know him.  Really miss him.  :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2010, 12:26:57 AM »
He is not a bad guy at all, really nice once you get to know him.  Really miss him.  :salute

yea, to be honest, i think i do too. i hate having to admit i was wrong though.......but it is what it is......i am here on the boards the same as i am in rl........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
Hello Capt1ma,

I felt I should qualify my above statements by visiting the AVA last night.  It seemed only fair to give it a whirl.  I will tell you that there was no crap attitudes present during my visit during US prime time last night.  A pretty good sized group of folks about 28 at it's highest.  I managed to cajole a few squaddies to come with, and we swapped appropriately to keep everything balanced sidewise. 

I would say that the only thing that was a detractor was the no icons for enemies.  There has to be some way to address this.  I simply prefer them.  Some of my squaddies are older than my 41 years, and frankly they are blind as bats!  LOL

The other thing that is more player choice and not really as big an issue, was folks plane choices.  I do not mean what planes were available, rather the Allies were almost always a Hurricane IIC, and the Allies were almost always a FW190A-5.  I flew a variety of planes on both sides, and would encourage others to do the same.  It will make the fights more varied and keep that interest level up.

Third thing that stood out was the lack of GV or bomber action.  Little or nothing occurring in those areas.  I am not a big bomber fan, but I do love my ground warfare.  Get some more GV'ers interested please.

I sincerely hope this helps you make the AVA a more frequented place for all of us.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
I am 51 and the eyes aint what they used to be......

I thouroughly enjoy the no icons.

If the ground guys would come in and test out this new terrain, I think they'd love it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2010, 10:06:07 AM »
Waystin, I'm glad you were able to get into the AVA and try it out. thanks for being honest and giving it a fair shake. since we've gone to the "no enemy icons", we've found that it isn't for everyone. we've also found that if you give it about 4 hours of your time, you'll learn to pick up on it. its entirely your choice. the trick is to communicate with people, even ones you don't know, to cover your 6 or atleast check 6 you. most people that are in there are finding this out.

as for the eyesight, as we get older, we all have to compensate. if these guys were actually looking ahead 2 or 3 miles or more, id  say its a problem, but the monitor is only a few feet away. I'm not minimizing their problem, but i find it hard to believe that they can't see a computer screen a few feet away.

as for the plane choices, in the midwar, they all fly spits. guys that aren't as proficient as others tend to use the more easy mode planes. not much you can do about that.

as for the gv/bomber thing, someone has to start something first. the other night we had a pretty serious battle going with both gv's and bombers. it was pretty wild. just jump in and attack someone elses base, im sure they'll come out to greet you, you'll see!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:08 AM »
For the guys that are worried about "hi res pack" and being able to spot enemies, there are a couple of AvA regulars who use laptops and crappy barely capable systems that have dummied down the graphics and have little trouble holding their own in the arena. You do have to keep your monitor clean so you don't chase false dots.  :lol

If you're not used to the lack of icons, the first hour or so with a good fight going on is murder, so if you're ego won't allow you to get shot down frequently...the AvA is not a good place for you.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
i'm gonna go buy an hdmi cable for my computer....and run it on my 42" tv. then i'll see bigger parts come off of my ride.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2010, 12:21:31 PM »
we've also found that if you give it about 4 hours of your time, you'll learn to pick

I just could not.  Too eazy  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »
 :furious    :D

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »
 :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
Questions:

1. what would it take for you or your squad to frequent the AVA 1 night or more a week?

2. what do you like about the AVA, if anything? (Please speak from experience)

3. what do you dislike about the AVA, if anything? (again, please speak from experience)

Been dying to do it, but there's bever anyone inthere when I log on.

I like the idea of no icons and having to ID the plane. What to try that and without the computer giving distances.

Not enough folks.

I will try go in there tonight and stick it out for the duration. Hopefully numebrs will atrract numebers.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
rumor has it there were at one point up to 28 people in there last night.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:43 PM »
Questions:

1. what would it take for you or your squad to frequent the AVA 1 night or more a week?
Pigs will try anything.  Some of us were in there last night I believe.

2. what do you like about the AVA, if anything? (Please speak from experience)
EVERY SINGLE THING.  Icons off equalize the environment and make it realistic.  Icons ranging targets are simply not real-world.  I understand why folks want it back but the truth is that if you want some semblance of realism, that's a big step closer.

3. what do you dislike about the AVA, if anything? (again, please speak from experience)

Nothing really.  I will say that aircraft skins that have some desert-matching camo are tough to find on the deck but I suspect that is how the realism manifests itself.  I like the arena a lot and have had a ton of fun in there.  More than anything else, the folks I've flown with and against in there have been extremely cordial, helpful and pleasant to be around quite honestly...(Shuffler, USRanger, CHOG, paleoguy <S>).  Its a ton tougher to be a picker in that arena because you can't tell the distance as quickly without the icons ranging for you...and its tougher to tell when someone has latched onto your 6 because there isn't a RED outline that surrounds their a/c.  Oh...one last thing...the limited plane set is a real equalizer to...how cool was it to play for a couple of hours without being jumped by a temp, pony, 262, LA7, or typy.....JMHO

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:44:16 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
Hello Capt1ma,

I felt I should qualify my above statements by visiting the AVA last night.  It seemed only fair to give it a whirl.  I will tell you that there was no crap attitudes present during my visit during US prime time last night.  A pretty good sized group of folks about 28 at it's highest.  I managed to cajole a few squaddies to come with, and we swapped appropriately to keep everything balanced sidewise. 

I would say that the only thing that was a detractor was the no icons for enemies.  There has to be some way to address this.  I simply prefer them.  Some of my squaddies are older than my 41 years, and frankly they are blind as bats!  LOL

The other thing that is more player choice and not really as big an issue, was folks plane choices.  I do not mean what planes were available, rather the Allies were almost always a Hurricane IIC, and the Allies were almost always a FW190A-5.  I flew a variety of planes on both sides, and would encourage others to do the same.  It will make the fights more varied and keep that interest level up.

Third thing that stood out was the lack of GV or bomber action.  Little or nothing occurring in those areas.  I am not a big bomber fan, but I do love my ground warfare.  Get some more GV'ers interested please.

I sincerely hope this helps you make the AVA a more frequented place for all of us.

:salute

Way

Capt....I will work on the boss....just leave the icon thingy alone.  Its the right thing to do for realism's sake.

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba