Author Topic: Questions about the AVA  (Read 9785 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Questions about the AVA
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
i know this isn't the basic topic of htis thread..........but oh well.......

i went into the ava tonight....there were only 2 or 3 others when i logged in. i wanted to do some ground attack, so i flew a hurri to a v-base. friggin grumpy that sneaky bastage! popped me a half dozen times from one of the manned guns. i dunno how, 'cause i can't hit anything from them, but he added challenge to that.
 finally got em all down, so i went north, and grabbed a p-40. first off....what a friggin WRECK!!! squeaky flaps, no power, chipped paint...sheesh. i think i got spoiled in my pee38 o doom.

anyway, ended up about 10 of us in between 4 bases. now, before you all say that's nothing......this map is small. a couple sectors would only take a couple of minutes. it was constant fighting. twizzty broke my creaky ole p-40, so with (REVENGE...REVENGE.....REVENGG GGGGGGEEEEEEEE) running through my head, i headed back out, flapping hard as i could, and kinda sorta almost might've picked him outta his fight with panos.  :noid  :devil

got into a fight with longbow<<S>>.....friggin EXCELLENT 109 driver...probably some of the best i've seen....... got rammed by rammy, who promptly apologized...and i told him to not sweat it, 'cause he had "E" on me, so i cut my turn early, and misjudged...so it was as much my own fault as his......i saw pangea in there, but didn't get to fight him....which was prolly good for me ego, as we all know he's one of the best 109 drivers out there too.
 there was puma44, 78thboom, and some other good guys too.

it was really a good night.

i forgot to add a few things.......puma44...i think i ho'd ya once........and i do apologize for that. it wasn't delibret......i couldn't tell which way you were going.

longbow........i just watched the film of our fight.....i can't believe you were moving that 109 like that, with oil and blood all over the windscreen. that single fight made the night sir. <<S>>

and twizzty......i'm kinda almost sorry for picking you......sorta.

definitly a great bunch o guys to fly with.  :aok
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:42:03 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
i know this isn't the basic topic of htis thread..........but oh well.......

i went into the ava tonight....there were only 2 or 3 others when i logged in. i wanted to do some ground attack, so i flew a hurri to a v-base. friggin grumpy that sneaky bastage! popped me a half dozen times from one of the manned guns. i dunno how, 'cause i can't hit anything from them, but he added challenge to that.
 finally got em all down, so i went north, and grabbed a p-40. first off....what a friggin WRECK!!! squeaky flaps, no power, chipped paint...sheesh. i think i got spoiled in my pee38 o doom.

anyway, ended up about 10 of us in between 4 bases. now, before you all say that's nothing......this map is small. a couple sectors would only take a couple of minutes. it was constant fighting. twizzty broke my creaky ole p-40, so with (REVENGE...REVENGE.....REVENGG GGGGGGEEEEEEEE) running through my head, i headed back out, flapping hard as i could, and kinda sorta almost might've picked him outta his fight with panos.  :noid  :devil

got into a fight with longbow<<S>>.....friggin EXCELLENT 109 driver...probably some of the best i've seen....... got rammed by rammy, who promptly apologized...and i told him to not sweat it, 'cause he had "E" on me, so i cut my turn early, and misjudged...so it was as much my own fault as his......i saw pangea in there, but didn't get to fight him....which was prolly good for me ego, as we all know he's one of the best 109 drivers out there too.
 there was puma44, 78thboom, and some other good guys too.

it was really a good night.

i forgot to add a few things.......puma44...i think i ho'd ya once........and i do apologize for that. it wasn't delibret......i couldn't tell which way you were going.

longbow........i just watched the film of our fight.....i can't believe you were moving that 109 like that, with oil and blood all over the windscreen. that single fight made the night sir. <<S>>

and twizzty......i'm kinda almost sorry for picking you......sorta.

definitly a great bunch o guys to fly with.  :aok

I know, I am going to be the bad guy again for stating the obvious,  but do you see the problem with the AvA?

In summary, you went into an arena with 2 or 3 guys and:
You shot at buildings,
Got killed by maned ack,
You picked someone involved in a fight,
Had a great collision,

But at list you did it realistically since there were no icons  :aok
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »
I know, I am going to be the bad guy again for stating the obvious,  but do you see the problem with the AvA?

You shot at buildings,
Got killed by maned ack,
Had a great collision,

Ah, thanks for clearing this up for me.  I've been in the AvA a few times before, and spent the last couple of evenings there.  I thought it was an arena to do what you wanted, within the arena settings and planesets provided.  According to you, it sounds like there should only be airspawns with no ground or bases.  It should be set up so only 2 guys can be in the arena (or at least a sector) at any one time (and on opposite sides) so they can private duel all night long.

Rgr that.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »
you missed the point dedalos, there were only a few guys, then because there were a few guys in there, a few more came in. the numbers rise because he actually went into the AVA and played, and this helped other people see that there actually were people in there.

all you need is a small population and other people will come, because there are people in there. so he went in and he had, what was his idea of fun, and it became more fun, because more people came.

so to that respect, to those of you that are curious about the AVA, go in and try it out, fly around, blow up buildings, dog fight and have fun. its like a field of dreams, build it and they will come. populate it and more people will come.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »
Ah, thanks for clearing this up for me.  I've been in the AvA a few times before, and spent the last couple of evenings there.  I thought it was an arena to do what you wanted, within the arena settings and planesets provided.  According to you, it sounds like there should only be airspawns with no ground or bases.  It should be set up so only 2 guys can be in the arena (or at least a sector) at any one time (and on opposite sides) so they can private duel all night long.

Rgr that.

I m glad we understand each other  :rofl

You can do what you want, but if you fight buildings and pick when 3 or 4 guys are there, do not expect the arena to have any numbers.  We can get that in the MA.  What exactly is it that makes it special?  Oh, I forgot, no icons == easier to pick  :aok

And why is it empty again?  I understand it is because people don;t go there so others don;t follow, but why people that go there don't stay?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
you missed the point dedalos, there were only a few guys, then because there were a few guys in there, a few more came in. the numbers rise because he actually went into the AVA and played, and this helped other people see that there actually were people in there.

all you need is a small population and other people will come, because there are people in there. so he went in and he had, what was his idea of fun, and it became more fun, because more people came.

so to that respect, to those of you that are curious about the AVA, go in and try it out, fly around, blow up buildings, dog fight and have fun. its like a field of dreams, build it and they will come. populate it and more people will come.

Roger that.

It's a good way to get something started.

Sometimes I go in alone and start practicing some ground attack stuff or bombing and it's not long before I have a few guys to fight with.

You need practice dive bombing? Skip the TA, go in AvA, grab an unfamiliar plane and have some fun!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2010, 08:51:27 AM »

You shot at buildings,
Got killed by maned ack,
Had a great collision,

you missed the point. that was the beginning. the night ended in great battles on evenly matched sides.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:03 AM »
Kind of like poking a stick in a hornets nest eh cap?

I'm looking forward to tonights ruckus :D 

Win, lose, or draw, I know I'm going to laugh and learn a few things that will come in handy in the future.   <S>
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2010, 08:55:59 AM »
Would it be possible to give an annoucement in the MAs to let folks know you have some action about to happen in there? You know like when a special event or KOTH is about to start up. That too might help in getting poeple over there that otherwise wouldn't know about it. Maybe some from the boards here that complain about the hoardes, caps and ENY in the late war arenas might want to check it out too.
I'll see if I can round some guys up for the weekend.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
I m glad we understand each other  :rofl

You can do what you want, but if you fight buildings and pick when 3 or 4 guys are there, do not expect the arena to have any numbers.  We can get that in the MA.  What exactly is it that makes it special?  Oh, I forgot, no icons == easier to pick  :aok

And why is it empty again?  I understand it is because people don;t go there so others don;t follow, but why people that go there don't stay?

be advised......i only picked twizzty for 2 reasons. 1) because i got in trouble with my cartoon crewchief, for letting him break my squeaky old p-40, and 2) because right now, that's the only way i can beat him.  :devil

oh yea....and 3) because i could.  :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
Would it be possible to give an annoucement in the MAs to let folks know you have some action about to happen in there? You know like when a special event or KOTH is about to start up. That too might help in getting poeple over there that otherwise wouldn't know about it. Maybe some from the boards here that complain about the hoardes, caps and ENY in the late war arenas might want to check it out too.

thats a great idea uptown! ill try it sometime and see what happens.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »
Roger that.

It's a good way to get something started.

Sometimes I go in alone and start practicing some ground attack stuff or bombing and it's not long before I have a few guys to fight with.

You need practice dive bombing? Skip the TA, go in AvA, grab an unfamiliar plane and have some fun!

the ta has its place.,.......but you are right. this place is a hundred times better for practicing, as you get the full effect.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:54 AM »

that is actually a very good idea.

also, i put forth the idea of the 80th invading this arena one night. i've gotten a couple of positive responses.........could you possibly let us know when the next time pee38's will be in the rotation, so i can inform them?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:27:28 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2010, 09:45:33 AM »
be advised......i only picked twizzty for 2 reasons. 1) because i got in trouble with my cartoon crewchief, for letting him break my squeaky old p-40, and 2) because right now, that's the only way i can beat him.  :devil

oh yea....and 3) because i could.  :rofl

All good reasons that promoted good fights and a lot of learning on your part.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »

I agree, but if I log in because I see 4 or 5 guys in the arena and I see them practicing ack killing, I may get the wrong impression and log off.