Author Topic: Motherboard and CPU recomendations  (Read 4000 times)

Offline BulzEye

• Zinc Member
Re: Motherboard and CPU recomendations
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
FWIW:  I am getting ready to hop back into the games after years of absence and have been researching systems to build.  You can get the follow processor for under $300:

Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

45 nm Bloomfield 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache Series: Core i7
L2 Cache: 4 x 256KB
L3 Cache: 8MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
Model #: BX80601950

The new AMD 6 core Phenom is Has more L2 cache, but less L3 and is 3.3GHz for $229.  

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX

4000MHz 45 nm Thuban 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L... Series: Phenom II X6
L2 Cache: 6 x 512KB
L3 Cache: 6MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm

I am leaning towards the Intel, but need to know what Video card would work well.  The newest cards are over $500 and I think this is over kill.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:09:28 AM by BulzEye »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
I have never been real big on combo packages of PC components.
but for someone who is looking to build a PC and is wanting to save some money yet have better than middle of the road parts

this newegg combo in the link below might be worth it to some people

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.563935

just need to add a video card and the OS basically to have a complete new PC ( less the Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers )
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »
bulzeye just throwing some more food for thought.  have you considered the sandy bridge cpus?  they're supposed to be faster than a similar priced i7.  just disregard the built in gpu.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »
Like it or not folks, Intel does work better than AMD, for many things.

many things indeed, canned bentmarks mostly;
but not for these;

number one in industry standard peer-reviewed benchmarks (not the typical canned bentmarks found at anandtech or tomsHW);
STREAM memory bandwidth, SPEC_fp floating point performance, SPEC_int integer performance

number one CPU-based non-heterogenous supercomputer in the world is AMD-based.

im still here, providing alternative, unbridled technical TRUTH.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
by the way, why do you have to pay more to buy intel? aka the "intel tax?"
pay more for inferior performance?  :headscratch:

the "intel tax" is for the OEM kickbacks intel has to do to maintain the 80/20 market share.

and no, despite the antitrust case being settled in 2009, the kickback money is still free flowing.

for purposes of AH2, your 60fps on an AMD system will just be the same as 60fps on an intel one.
your money is best spent on the best GPU you can buy (to enjoy this game), which btw intel cant figure out how to make properly.

ever heard of an intel video card? might be a while, not even to 2015 at least.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
I wouldn't mind a bit of info on a build I'm playing with.  

MB- Gigabyte MB GIGABYTE GA-G41M-COMBO R

CPU- Wolfdale e8400

GPU- ATI 5770

PSU- Corsair GS700

Ram- Undecided, but will probably go with 4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

OS- Win 7 Ultimate x64

I'm hoping that this rig will cover most of my needs (AH, CoD, general home use).  My current comp runs well, but it's quite dated (N1996MB, e2180 CPU, 4 gb DDR2, ATI 5770 GPU).
Any imput or opinions would be appreciated.

EDIT for spelling.

EDIT #2-  The reason I'm going with these components is that I've inherited the MB and CPU (new), so there won't be any out of pocket cost aside from the RAM, and I'd like to build a web-surfing machine with my old parts.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:38:20 PM by AAJagerX »
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »
This thread started back in Sept 2010.  :rolleyes:
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
This thread started back in Sept 2010.  :rolleyes:

Hey, thanks for adding relevant info.   :rolleyes:
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
but not for these;

(Image removed from quote.)

number one in industry standard peer-reviewed benchmarks (not the typical canned bentmarks found at anandtech or tomsHW);
STREAM memory bandwidth, SPEC_fp floating point performance, SPEC_int integer performance

nice awards, however I seem to remember that skuzzy mentioned that most of his problems come from amd bases systems than from intel. and the money you save is not really in the 100's for it to be called a lower priced alternative.  sure it's a little bit less but sometimes not enought. :salute.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
by the way, why do you have to pay more to buy intel? aka the "intel tax?"
pay more for inferior performance?  :headscratch:

[

:bhead

I realize there wont be any changing your mind but I have to point out that your comments in this post are not only incorrect but probably the most biased bit of information I have seen posted yet!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 04:08:13 AM »
nice awards, however I seem to remember that skuzzy mentioned that most of his problems come from amd bases systems than from intel. and the money you save is not really in the 100's for it to be called a lower priced alternative.  sure it's a little bit less but sometimes not enought. :salute.

semp
I think it really depends what a person is going to use their computer for. How much they want to spend. How long they will own the PC and if they will upgrade.
I have 2 computers, both amd. The one my wife and daughter use which is connected to the tv is a older AMD dual core with a DFI MB. Don't tell me I need to buy a Intel CPU which is more expensive for a barbie game and wife surfing the net and movies.
There is people who maybe can only spend so much money on building a PC and that extra 100.00 can be used for something else.
I have nothing against Intel, but the reason why I didn't buy Intel is the price at the time. My computer does everything I need it to.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 05:13:06 AM »
I think it really depends what a person is going to use their computer for. How much they want to spend. How long they will own the PC and if they will upgrade.
I have 2 computers, both amd. The one my wife and daughter use which is connected to the tv is a older AMD dual core with a DFI MB. Don't tell me I need to buy a Intel CPU which is more expensive for a barbie game and wife surfing the net and movies.
There is people who maybe can only spend so much money on building a PC and that extra 100.00 can be used for something else.
I have nothing against Intel, but the reason why I didn't buy Intel is the price at the time. My computer does everything I need it to.

so true cattb when it comes down to surf the net and some light gaming, the $500 puter with 20 in monitor at best buy is more than enough to meet those needs. my mother-in-law loves her super fast laptop that we got her for xmas.  it is a dual core intel that we paid 300 bucks for and if the other celeron or amd laptops would've been cheaper we would have gotten of the those instead.  the laptop is as slow as a bus with no tires.  but it more than exceeds her needs, of bill paying and some light internet surfing.

however the spirit in which the post was made is that for an ah computer it is dumb to spend money on an intel when amd is a little less.  which is a little misleading.  I understand not having money to buy top of the line systems be it intel or amd. I decided to buy intel because of the posting skuzzy made about more problems with amd than intel.  now it took me 6 months to finish buying all the parts since I couldnt afford to buy everything at one time.  I used some parts from my old puter till i had enough to buy new ones.  now I have an e8400 based computer than plays ah with everything maxed, except for shadows which i keep at 4020 (or whatever).  that work for me based on my own situation.  other people have different ideas or needs.

I guess my point is research and do your homework and basically spend the money based on how you're gonna use your puter.  I have been listening to people here go on an on about the intel tax and how amd is so much cheaper and better.  then again I also listen to problems than amd have in the game, not that intel is not without its own problem

i think intel is a much wiser choice.  that is my uneducated opinion based on bits of information I got here on the forums.

semp

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 09:47:24 AM »
but not for these;

Sorry, but I have to giggle a bit.  You post slides from an AMD presentation, and then state you are "providing alternative, unbridled technical TRUTH".  You think AMD is really going to provide an unbiased view of thier product?  I would say they would be about as unbiased, as Intel would be.  I think that is a fair statement.

I never said a word about any benchmarks.  I stated facts based on actual usage and involvement.  I also stated I have no vested interests in either camp.  My interest is in reducing my workload.  Yes, I am selfish that way.

I understand you prefer AMD, but the simple fact is, Intel works better for Aces High than AMD does.  I happen to have some first hand knowledge in this area.  As to why, you can start with the Microsoft thread manager in Windows and go from there.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:50:04 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BulzEye

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »
Yikes!

All I was hoping for was guidance on the video card to include in the setup! LOL  Sorry for opening up old business...

Thanks Skuzzy!  Facts is what I like.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
 I stated facts based on actual usage and involvement.

amd having defective chipsets? look who's just made a costly chipset mistake with the "state of the art" SANDY BRIDGE platform.
in the past intel also tried to screw consumers by not honoring returns of defective CPU's, (Pentium FDIV).
until IBM stepped in and stopped making intel desktops did intel start honoring warranties.

AH2 as a workload runs fine on AMD just as well as it does on intel. the only difference you'll see is in your pocket, and your visual experience.
because when you have a set budget, you will have to spend more on an intel CPU than an AMD one;
thereby relegating you to an inferior GPU choice(which is a far more critical part of the PC when it comes to AH2.)
i might also add a better screen (1080P minimum) would also yield you a better gaming experience, than a top line CPU.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:53:20 PM by skribetm »