Author Topic: A possible 'Goldilocks' planet?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
Re: A possible 'Goldilocks' planet?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you need roughly 168 days of constant 2g acceleration to reach 0,95 c. That would roughly mean that in less than a years time and thus less than a ly in dictance you can acclerate and decellerate, and cruise for more than 20 ly.  

nevermind asnwere my own question.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 05:33:40 PM by FireDrgn »
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2010, 08:04:51 PM »
These are not your average weathermen your talking about, that's a guarantee.....    :D   
They are the sharpest minds in this field of science and you can bet that they are not far off from their theories, sort of like a target,,, maybe not dead center, but in the 10 ring for sure. 

This here is a faulty appeal to authority and a fallacy within your argument.

Show me any evidence the "Sharpest minds " have then we can see how close they are to their theories.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »
Fellas, we, the human race, will not be visiting any extra solar planets until we, the human race, has progressed to a Kardashev Type 1 civilization or a little further to a Type 2 level.  Until the scientific community creates a technology that can turn energy into matter, we, the human race, are staying put within the solar system specifically within the inner planetary system.

By having the means of turning raw energy into raw matter, the scarcity of natural resources will be eliminated.  Vast construction projects will create the future of tomorrow envisioned by artists and scientists of the last century. 

After achieving that small feat, the next step will be creating a power source greater than the energy output of a star and beyond.

Then, the easy parts will be a ship, propulsion system, and shielding.  Piece of cake work there.

The final act of this adventure will be creating an artificial gravity/interial dampener system.  Why accelerate our future heroes off to the "Goldilocks Planet" if they are turned into goo on the back wall of the room they are in at the instant of ignition?  Plus, they need to be walking around under gravity to keep them bones strong.

ummm... I don't think we'll last that long left to our own devices. :frown:

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2010, 11:08:37 AM »
Space elevators would suck, would you want to be forced to listen to elevator muzak for that long?

ack-ack
maglev rails for the elevators. get from bottom to top in an hour... also if the construction is to work, you will need a space support that lessens the load on the elevator shaft itself. this will allow for increased size in the elevator and allow for faster travel. free fall should be allowed for travel back down the shaft. bam, works fine :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
maglev rails for the elevators. get from bottom to top in an hour... also if the construction is to work, you will need a space support that lessens the load on the elevator shaft itself. this will allow for increased size in the elevator and allow for faster travel. free fall should be allowed for travel back down the shaft. bam, works fine :aok

Still, would you want to be stuck in an elevator and forced to listen to muzak for an hour?  I know I don't.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
Still, would you want to be stuck in an elevator and forced to listen to muzak for an hour?  I know I don't.

ack-ack
who says it will just be an elevator? if its large enough turn it into a lounge and a snack bar. put tvs in it. then have work only cars with resources for projects and other necessities. one car for passengers that fit approx 100 people or more and one car for work to fit the equivalent (or more) in supplies (say 20,000 to 50,000 lbs of weight.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2010, 11:53:47 PM »
as hot as 160 degrees. Thats close to temperatures recorded on some spots on our own planet. It doesnt mean its that hot all over the place (and its a much bigger world than ours). You can easily expect to find regions that have temperate or tropical temperatures.
rotation speed is not the same as centripetal speed. Aka, the outer ring of an old vynil disc spins faster than the center ring yet both cover the same distance in the same time. Rotation speed is not an issue.

water is almost guaranteed to exist in liquid form under that combination of temperature/mass. Of course thats if the planet followed something similar to earth's geologic processes and is not a sea of molten lava. 

Gravity can be an issue but thats applicable if/when we can send someone there. by the time who knows what tech will exist to counteract that.

If there's water there will be life. Guaranteed. If life sprung up to use that water that is. Would it be worth sending a probe? Hell yes. 20 light years means our fastest ship would not be able to reach it in 200+ years time..and the first signal would take 20 years to get to us after that. If anything they should be scrambling to send that probe this decade. By 2200+ chances are we'll have much better propulsion to send people out there and the probe could very well be sending them a signal telling them 'hey there really IS water here! (or not)" and save them a more costly, dangerous trip.

One light year is 186,000 X 60 X 60 X 24 X 365 miles.
That's a total of 5,865,696,000,000 miles traveled in one year at the speed of light in the vacuum of space..
The fastest space probe that man has built is currently Voyager 1 which is traveling at 38,600 mph (light travels at 180,000 miles per second, just to put things into perspective)..
I don't think I need to do any more math to show you that there's no way anything man-made can make it 20 light years in anything close to 200 years..
I'll say it's in the ball park of 150,000 to 200,000 years to get there while traveling 38,600 mph.. 
The distances are so vast and time to get there so great that any probe sent now would be long dead by the time it reached even the same general area(with regards to the vastness of space)..

Personally, I don't think Earth(as we know it) will make it far enough into the future to develop something that will travel even 1/100 the speed of light.. 

I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Anodizer

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2010, 11:58:37 PM »
I bet Han Solo can make the run in less than 12 parsecs.

ack-ack

:lol   :aok
I like classy, beautiful, intelligent woman that say the "F" word a lot....

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2010, 12:10:30 AM »
One light year is 186,000 X 60 X 60 X 24 X 365 miles.
That's a total of 5,865,696,000,000 miles traveled in one year at the speed of light in the vacuum of space..
The fastest space probe that man has built is currently Voyager 1 which is traveling at 38,600 mph (light travels at 180,000 miles per second, just to put things into perspective)..
I don't think I need to do any more math to show you that there's no way anything man-made can make it 20 light years in anything close to 200 years..
I'll say it's in the ball park of 150,000 to 200,000 years to get there while traveling 38,600 mph.. 
The distances are so vast and time to get there so great that any probe sent now would be long dead by the time it reached even the same general area(with regards to the vastness of space)..

Personally, I don't think Earth(as we know it) will make it far enough into the future to develop something that will travel even 1/100 the speed of light.. 

Yeah I was wondering just how they were thinking we could reach these near by stars in just a couple years time, I mean we might be able to in a few hundred years when we develop the technology to travel at speeds near the speed of light, but thats still a very long way away.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2010, 08:06:19 AM »
I can't wait to get there and mutilate some of their cows
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:15 AM »
well, tell a 1940 WWII U-boat commander that in 20yrs time submarines would only need refuelling every 25yrs and they could remain submerged for as long as the food supplies last and he wouldnt have believed you.

the theory and technology were all pretty much there, it was just a matter of refining them enough to create the real-world application and setting up the resources infrastructure. this is where we are with interstellar travel.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli