Author Topic: internet help  (Read 917 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
internet help
« on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »
all right, I set up my wifes system,(I want to see if wifes system can run AH) the only internet we can get here is wireless, I am connected to a friends network, it shows the connection as "connected" I got the wireless card from the guy who has the connection, put in the password, everything works, except! when I try to get online, "server not found"  I have no idea what to do.....any help would be very thankfull.                                  Paul

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: internet help
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 05:35:41 PM »
DNS? can you ping?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »
DNS...feel like I should but not sure what that means....ping, it wont find any connection,  how could i ping without a connection?

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:26:39 PM »
Firewall settings?  Just a guess.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 06:40:44 PM »
brother that sux!!!!

if i was there i could figure it out, but i have no idea how to explain the steps to go through or the things to check!!!!

well thats what you get for running 1500 miles away from home and abandoning me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so as a consilation prize i guess ill just get to keep using your profile to practice and perfect my cartoon pileet skillz until you find a way to get signed in. dont worry, i wont effect your score too badly.............. :neener:
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:49:53 PM »
i dont know whats up, i am looking at the internet status and it is showing sending and receiving, and signal strenth is good to very good.....:-(

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
yup this sux........still no clue, figured someone on here would have a clue.....guess not :-(

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 04:53:40 PM »
if i was in front of your computer i would have it fixed or diagnost in 5 min or less lol ..

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
Maybe your neighbor can come over and look at it.  Is it showing connected to local only?  What address is it trying to get to, what home page? 
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 05:33:47 PM »
I think she uses msn as home page...    It says its connected to his network...I talked to him, he is not sure why it wont connect,  In "control panel" internet settings it sees the wireless....I disabled my ethernet connection.......thanx for replies.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 06:37:27 PM »
If your running a firewall - turn it off to see if that makes any difference. Failing that, check that your antivirus isnt blocking it too (had to sort a clients computer, which had a failed av install blocking his browser).
You can also go start, run, type in cmd and open a cmd line interface window. Type in ping and a url (dont matter which one). If that pings, your connected to the net. To double check that, keep the cli window open, type in tracert + url (ie, tracert www.bbc.co.uk)

Suggest checking your av/firewall settings initially tho.

Wurz

Also, try going into your browser tools and check that its not trying to go through a proxy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:48:07 PM by gpwurzel »
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:53:36 PM »
Access your friends router as admin and give your machines MAC address specific permission. You can discover your MAC address by opening a CMD window and using the IPCONFIG command. Activate the MAC filter of your friends router and then add your MAC address to the MAC Address Filter List.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 10:41:43 PM »
well I tried to ping Ah servers...says..destination net unreachable..

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »
what os are you running?
make sure you their router is set to DHCP and then go into your wireless properties under IP v4 and make sure they are set to IP and DNS to automatically recieve.
if you do a IPCONFIG what does it tell you? please type it for us. IPCONFIG will give us alot of info.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 02:09:55 AM »
IP config, Ethernet adapter internet : ip address.......192.168.1.10     subnet mask 255.255.255.0.......... wow typing this out on phone lol it says ethernet adapter, strange i wonder if this is a clue?     my OS is XP with sp3