Author Topic: First B-29 Skins post.  (Read 16678 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: First B-29 Skins post.
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
Considering the nose art is of the two characters climbing over mountains carrying gas cans, I'd say it was after they were in the transport mission hauling avgas over the mountains. (wild guess)

Karnak: Exactly. But if you look up higher, esso express and hobo queen also lack guns and are OD.

I'd like a little more info on this baby:

(Image removed from quote.)

What are we looking at here? Are those engines and cowlings BMF, but the wings OD? The fuselage is clearly OD but with perhaps different shades (or metal?) rings around the base of the turrets and around the gunner windows.

What are we looking at here? Final paint? In-progress paint job? Assembly line quirk where engines from BMF met one of the last OD airframes?

Or possibly some very strange lighting/shadows affecting a paint job not fully "cured" thus making the engines and fuselage look different when the final product ends up being the same? (possible but I would doubt it).
Part of the proto types at Boeing the three bladed prop is the give away.

Here is a picture of an XB-29.

Now ESSO Express as you can see in this picture started as a bomber & ended up a full transport as can be seen in the second picture.

Most of the OD B29's I have posted are mostly partial pictures with no way to confirm what the entire aircraft looked like hence very unlikely to be skinned for AHII.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 08:12:57 PM by lyric1 »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2010, 01:07:54 AM »
At any rate, they didn't start out as NMF bombers and were then converted to OD/Grey transports.  They were bombers first.

My concern would be that before they were converted some may have had different nose art and some of the pictures depict them in their "transport" role only.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2010, 05:12:11 AM »
Tu-4 was heavier then the B-29, and lacked the range and payload accordingly, we did do a dam good job at copying it though, if it wernt for your silly imperial measurments we would have done better  :devil

unfortionatly you are wrong my russian friend. the Soviets couldnt of made it better, the only really good thing in my opinion to come out of russia is vodka and the AK 47s. but tanks airplanes and cars! HAA! they kill more of their own crews then of the enemy. so i highly disagree that they would have made the TU-4(B-29) better then the great original design of the B-29 that the US built.

BTW I like the B-29(spearhead) alot :salute Semper Fi to those marines who fought bravely and valiantly on Iwo Jima.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:17:23 AM by fullmetalbullet »
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" Julius Caesar

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
unfortionatly you are wrong my russian friend. the Soviets couldnt of made it better, the only really good thing in my opinion to come out of russia is vodka and the AK 47s. but tanks airplanes and cars! HAA! they kill more of their own crews then of the enemy. so i highly disagree that they would have made the TU-4(B-29) better then the great original design of the B-29 that the US built.
You misunderstood him I think.  He wasn't saying the Russians would have made it better than the original, he was saying they would have made a better copy than they did if not for different measurement systems.

I don't know that he is correct, but you need to unwind your nationalistic panties a bit methinks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2010, 05:34:36 PM »
its not that. i was just saying everything that the russian make vehicle and plane wise falls apart or kills the operator. i like the russians, and i have many russian friends. but when it comes to vehicles. i would much rather have a lancia over a russian car. im sorry if people misread that. i ment that they couldnt of made it better even if they had the right tools, and measurments.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:29:01 PM by fullmetalbullet »
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" Julius Caesar

Offline VonKost

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2010, 04:14:58 PM »
Definitely going to need an early marking (Diamond and number on the tale) and a late (N in Triangle) marked 444th BG Skin!!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 04:24:28 PM »
Definitely going to need an early marking (Diamond and number on the tale) and a late (N in Triangle) marked 444th BG Skin!!
Pick one.  :D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:02:34 PM by lyric1 »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Considering the nose art is of the two characters climbing over mountains carrying gas cans, I'd say it was after they were in the transport mission hauling avgas over the mountains. (wild guess)

Karnak: Exactly. But if you look up higher, esso express and hobo queen also lack guns and are OD.

I'd like a little more info on this baby:

(Image removed from quote.)

What are we looking at here? Are those engines and cowlings BMF, but the wings OD? The fuselage is clearly OD but with perhaps different shades (or metal?) rings around the base of the turrets and around the gunner windows.

What are we looking at here? Final paint? In-progress paint job? Assembly line quirk where engines from BMF met one of the last OD airframes?

Or possibly some very strange lighting/shadows affecting a paint job not fully "cured" thus making the engines and fuselage look different when the final product ends up being the same? (possible but I would doubt it).
I think this will answer all your questions. It looks like the transports arrived as bombers but were immediately changed to transports & only partially armed.

Interesting tid bit in regards to red borders.

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 05:26:50 PM »
How about "Sweet Thing" for the 444th!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
Some more profiles,pics,info.

Offline VonKost

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
My XO Malibu wants Male Call and that is an early one! Fu-kemal-tu would be a great one for late.  :D

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
any chance of us getting the famous boxcar skin? and the other famous atomic b29 skin?(forget her name) :noid

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »
any chance of us getting the famous boxcar skin? and the other famous atomic b29 skin?(forget her name) :noid
Enola Gay. Good question? It is not the same aircraft as the A or B model they were specially modified. If permitted it opens the door for all B models on the A model frame. Also for that matter it opens the door for all transport B29's as well since they were partially armed just as the Silverplate B29's were.

Edit: The nose art on Bockscar was post war.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 11:27:31 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2010, 04:54:45 AM »
this?

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2010, 12:18:46 PM »
Olive drab does look nice. I prefer the bare metal IMO. Looks more "American" that way. :D

+1 :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech