Author Topic: P40  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: P40
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
This is not a 1 time observation.  Been flying that thing for like 7 years on and off.  However, every time I do I end up with stuck flaps and stop flying it. 
Pretty much. :aok

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »
     I agree with ack ack, losing a flap does not change how your plane flys, rather it just prevents you from using flaps.
     And in my humble opinion, dropping flaps could occasionally be aa usefull tactic in a P40, if you rely on them...you're doing it wrong ;)
     That is my opinion only, flame away :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
     I agree with ack ack, losing a flap does not change how your plane flys, rather it just prevents you from using flaps.
     And in my humble opinion, dropping flaps could occasionally be aa usefull tactic in a P40, if you rely on them...you're doing it wrong ;)

I think you should read my previous post again but I do state quite clearly that if one flap is jammed (destroyed) and you use the other working flap, it will have a negative impact on how the plane flies up to the point that it can render the plane unflyable and you crash.  The only time it won't have a negative impact is if you set the working flap to the same setting as the jammed (destoyed) flap.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
Non, but same goes for a spitfire, a P51, an LA7 etc.  I have not seen any of those either.  Does that mean their flaps get stuck after a single ping?  Try a P40 for a few runs and tell me what happens

Flaps were actually very commonly used on P-51's.  First notch was called "maneuvering flaps" I believe.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 12:41:14 AM »
I once survived a 4-v-1 in a P-40E taking much damage and killing 3 of the 4 (making the 4th run home). Rare for me, but a really great fight that I won despite bad numbers. In the fight I got 1 flap jammed in 1 position, and the other in another. Just barely managed to finish off the last guy, or he broke off and later crashed, or something.

It made RTB home very.... "interesting" (it was an entire sector over water), especially considering it made my flying speed extremely slow.

hahaha you must have ben jaked up on the way home seems like a fun fight
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »

Ahhh let me guess, fight the war, kill the buildings, run out of there type of guy?  Let me explain where I am coming from.  These planes are not used to fly in straight line enjoying the view.  If you get into a fight (I know I know, if that happens I did something wrong lol) you may drop flaps.  If you do and you get hit in a p40, 90% of the time one of your flaps will get stuck.  So now, even though your plane can still fly, it has become a death trap.  To balance it, you have to drop the other flap.  Now you are balanced but in a P40 you are doing about 120 to 200? depending on the level your flap got stuck at.  Do you think you can fight or make it home now?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »
    This damage to the flaps has been going on since I can remember, but I never really dared say much about it, becuase they may do something to make it worse. Its true though, if you get hit, its almost always the flap. I dont know it their hit area is huge or what, but there are different ways they get affected. If down when hit and they get stuck their, it can be a bear to fly.

~AoM~

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
Flaps were actually very commonly used on P-51's.  First notch was called "maneuvering flaps" I believe.

the La-7's (And 5's) flaps could be deployed up to 50 degrees for landing, and also 10 to 15 degrees for combat, and most of the Lavochkin aces used flaps at some point in combat
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
I'd guess 50% of my P-40 sorties result in the loss of a flap.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 06:04:57 PM »
I wish I'd loose my flaps more often in my P-40 sorties, instead they're always getting jammed in a down position.  I've even tried to dive and force them up, but I'l rip my wings off before the flap budges.

OK, seriously, it is pretty anoying to have a flap stuck in a down position, even worse is that this happens extremely often on a P-40.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 10:34:43 PM »
Hopefully in the future the damage model will allow a flap to be both jammed and knocked off completely. :pray

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
Did it really take one hit anywhere on the wing to get the flaps stuck in real life?  It is a nice plane but flying it is just frustrating.  One ping and you cannot fight any more.  Can we fix it or this is how it was in real life?
I flew the P40s yesterday and I found that the engine and oil were always breaking after 1 hit... Never was lucky enough to lose just a flap  :rofl
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »
If the flaps are damaged while deployed, the damaged flap is treated as though the flap hasn't been destroyed but rather jammed in place.  This will cause the plane to be almost unflyable if you deploy or retract the remaining working flap.  To keep the plane stable in flight, you need to deploy/retract the remaining flap to the same position as the "destroyed" flap.  That's how having one flap destroyed can render a plane unflyable.

ack-ack
hmm...never knew this after years of flight in AH. Thanks for the words of wisdom Ack-Ack   :salute
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 11:49:36 AM »
Flaps were actually very commonly used on P-51's.  First notch was called "maneuvering flaps" I believe.
i believe the style of flaps are called maneuvering flaps in general (correct?) and i dont stop at one notch. depending on if i need to i dip it another notch or two but never full unless i absolutely have to. that fight we were in on the deck two days ago i used two notches to reverse and come down on the enemies that were on you and shermo. <S>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:41:03 PM by 321BAR »
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »
i believe the style of flaps are called maneuvering flaps in general (correct?) and i dont stop at one notch. depending on if i need to i dip it another notch or two but never full unless i absolutely have to. that fight we were in on the deck two days ago i used two notches to reverse and come down on the enemies that were on you and sector. <S>

No, just the first notch was labeled "maneuvering," if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm also having a hard time remembering if the P-51 had plain flaps, or slotted flaps.  I want to say that they are slotted, as I know the F4U's are, but then I seem to remember a discussion about why the F4U's flaps are so effective, and being slotted was the reason... That makes me believe the P-51's are not... :rolleyes:

I'll use a second notch as well.  Using flap angles beyond max aileron deflection begins to add more drag than lift.

(P.S. I AM Sector!  There were cons on me and myself?!  How dare they attack my schizophrenia... :noid)