Author Topic: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!  (Read 22150 times)

Offline delta7

• Zinc Member
Re: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »
 If all the base take "whiners" here left the game. All that would be left would be an added duel arena for planes and gvs.
Is it not possible to have good furballs and still win the war. Seems it use to be. :frown:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2010, 11:18:30 PM »
This is about giving the win the war guys an easy enough time so they can feel some success cause apparently it's too hard and they want to take their ball and go home.  

No.  This is not the issue.  I don't understand why a smart guy like yourself can't wrap his head around it.  It's not about one base being taken with perfect tactics and coordination blah blah blah.  It's about the entire freakin war.  The setup is too difficult now to win the war in a reasonable amount of time, which is why a large map has not been even close to being reset since the latest town update, hence there is no underlying strategic goal.  The game is not balanced anymore.  Seriously, would you be happy if all the players left that enjoyed the win the war aspect of the game, cutting the player population in half?  That would be great wouldn't it, half the player base.  HTC would probably sell the damn game to EA and be done with it, and we all know what EA would do with it.  And all the furballers would wonder what went wrong and cry about how hordes, easy moders, and the xbox generation ruined the game when in reality it was their idiotic ignorance and intolerance.  Get a clue you people. 

/soapbox

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
No.  This is not the issue.  I don't understand why a smart guy like yourself can't wrap his head around it.  It's not about one base being taken with perfect tactics and coordination blah blah blah.  It's about the entire freakin war.  The setup is too difficult now to win the war in a reasonable amount of time, which is why a large map has not been even close to being reset since the latest town update, hence there is no underlying strategic goal.  The game is not balanced anymore.  Seriously, would you be happy if all the players left that enjoyed the win the war aspect of the game, cutting the player population in half?  That would be great wouldn't it, half the player base.  HTC would probably sell the damn game to EA and be done with it, and we all know what EA would do with it.  And all the furballers would wonder what went wrong and cry about how hordes, easy moders, and the xbox generation ruined the game when in reality it was their idiotic ignorance and intolerance.  Get a clue you people. 

/soapbox

Not at all what I said.  The whines of most, not all.  I have no problem with tweaks to the game to encourage the war winners.  There are a few looking at it more then just immediate gratification.  That's why I said the stuff I did in the earlier post. 

Give me a reason to care about the 'war'.  I gave my ideas.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
I was going to make a comment ...but Grizz's above post will do just fine.

I'll make one anyway. New players come for combat because they are learning..then they join a squad because they want to be part of a team. Those teams normally like to work together toward a common goal. Take one of these goals away by making it nearly impossible to accomplish and you've lost 1/2 the reason why your playing here.  Something else thats lost is ground battles unless in a designated area. No reason to defend a town that can't be taken.

A well rounded game can not be had when you take 1/2 the game away from it's subscribers.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »
Someone explain to me again, what's been taken away from 1/2 the subscribers?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:09 AM »
Someone explain to me again, what's been taken away from 1/2 the subscribers?

I would almost call that an attempt at trolling ;)  :neener:

It's al about balance. Giving players a goal beyond just "up and mix it up" is important for the balance & health of this game. And reasoning about that, and how to get a balanced total gamnplay has nothing to do with "instant gratification", "looking for teh eazy mode" and so on.

The war game (and thus capturing bases, as for now it's the only way to win this war) is giving a lot of players a goal, something to fight for, it's keeping particularly those unwashed masses interested in the game that would otherwise quickly burn out, pure cannon fodder for a tiny ACM "elite"as they are.

And balance is all important, both in a greater sense (win the war should never hamper or be above  other modes of gameplay - that's why we do not have plane factories, central command structures, plane attrition and so on), but also in it's internal conditions. If you allow me to exaggerate a bit: The war system was once "broken" when under the old system we saw several resets a day by clubbing just on the smallest country, and in some way it is "broken" (again: I exaggerate!) now if there is almost no chance in winning the war at all.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean we have to dumb down the towns again.. we can also change the winning conditions, maybe even include the strat game more than it has been done in the past and so on.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2010, 02:05:36 AM »
I have no problem with the idea of balance.  I would be of the opinion that as long as people are involved, you won't be able to program it in.  As you pointed out, in the past it was two sides vs one.  How often do you see one country now with overwhelming numbers and the others half that.

Folks want to be a part of the winning team.  They want success.  They want to feel that sooner then later.  How do you program that in?  At some point it's on the player isn't it?

Has there been a time where there hasn't been 'something wrong" with the game based on the words of different players?

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:21 AM »
I have no problem with the idea of balance.  I would be of the opinion that as long as people are involved, you won't be able to program it in.  As you pointed out, in the past it was two sides vs one.  How often do you see one country now with overwhelming numbers and the others half that.

Folks want to be a part of the winning team.  They want success.  They want to feel that sooner then later.  How do you program that in?  At some point it's on the player isn't it?

Has there been a time where there hasn't been 'something wrong" with the game based on the words of different players?

I think people are over thinking this :headscratch: A lot of the points made are good just to complicated IMHO. I like the new town set up & I don't think we should go backwards,how ever it makes it near impossible for the dedicated GV guy to take a base any more.

What I think that would help new people who GV to begin with,because it is the gate way drug of AHII & is the easy mode until they transition to other things. Also the old guard who wants there former town & port & v/base back for the base capture portion of what they like to do.

Time is the enemy with the take a base crowd currently they spend most of the time looking for buildings & never really know if they got the entire town down. So they tower get troops & return & they missed a building or took to long & town has started resetting while on the way back.

Now the old town had a couple of elevated areas where you could situate yourself & give you a birds eye view & hence proceed to destroy buildings you may have missed.

So put a couple of grassy hills either end of town & that will allow GV guys to get a better view of the surroundings & at least see what may be up or down. Also slightly thin out the hedges so it is not so much of a maze,to try & find your self around the edges of town give it a more line of site & direct drive to the point your heading for.

Now with Ports & GV bases leave them as is except for the manned ack guns. With those get rid of the auto ack option they default to when no one is in them so they don't start shooting at you when your back on base with your troops. With only 10 minuets to work with it is just not enough before they come back up.

Any way my two cents worth.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 03:19:03 AM by lyric1 »

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2010, 03:20:15 AM »

/soapbox

A large % of the playerbase understand that winning the war is not the means by which we play. The fact that we can take bases provides an ingenious way of bringing people together to duke it out. Taking this away I agree will make for a very boring game.

Understand however, what I noticed is that more and more of the new guys coming in are coming in for the gaming aspect of it rather than being lured into this game for love of history and interest in WW2 era aviation. They are looking to acheive a goal that keeps them addicted to keep logging them in night after night be it kill messages or feild captures. I can bet that 90% of the new guys that join have absolutley no knowlege of certain flight modeling and could give a rats arse that bomber formations never did a nose down on CVs.

I can agree Grizz that these types of players are easy targets and make up a huge portion on our buffet menu. Also understand that when people play specificly for basetaking that they have no choice but to employ "dirty" tactics. By this I mean gain the advantage at all cost either in #s or sheer surprise. Too much of one thing as we can all remember prior to the town and radar layouts can easily get out of hand and completly destroy the integrity of the game and that alone could cause a huge % of playerbase to quit anyway.

I wouldnt be so drastic and saying that we are going to decline in subscriptions just because town layouts are different, the war cant be won or there is a change in radar settings. It is simply a matter that people need to learn to adapt to a situation and move on. Think of it this way..New subscribers if they joined the game today are not going to have a clue how town, radar settings used to be. They will just adapt differently to the game than I or a large number of people did.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2010, 05:02:01 AM »
Enough about adapt and move on.  That is not what this thread is about.  What Q said, amounts to hit the brakes!!  This country reset avoidance system is getting out of hand!!

Sure the game will evolve, but the great thing about the developers of this game is they are talented and can balance player needs and game advancements. 

It is possible that we could be going into an entirely different era, but without any announcements about mega changes, I think we mostly know where we stand on what is possible currently with base captures and winning wars.

And, I do think reworking the cap system was necessary and heading in the correct direction.   Give these guys time and feedback, they will get it all sorted out.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »
IF you are happy with the gameplay then you are fortunate....I am not having fun or experiencing any desire to play the game.  There is absolutely no point to the game anymore...there is no drama....there is no need to log on to accomplish something.....

Grizz you actually understand it....many folks really want a goal or story as part of their gameplay...so many guys have no concept of this...but THIS is why this community has never grown as it should have while about any other ww2 game explodes when it hits the stores...its sad really...

I can have an identical experience any day of the week....

1. log in
2. decide to horde
3. decide to fight a horde
4. leave within an hour of logging...often within 15 minutes
5. Play AION which is freaking awesome and has ability for PvP or PvE with rewards for anything you do!
6. Promise myself to play AH2 tomorrow...

Call it burnout or whatever you wish...I have been an addict since 1997...I used to have the game at work and play it during lunch etc...i would rush home and play until 2 am every night....the latest changes have slowly sapped any desire or NEED to play away...the maps dont change and noone REALLY needs assistance anymore...the town changes have made it close to impossible to take a base so even defending has become somewhat optional....

For now I am rushing home to level up my Ranger (Falconwing) in AION and have already logged into the website 4 times today to check status of broker etc...my legion uses ventrillo so i can experience the same chitchat as here (loads more girls though  :D)  I am lacking sleep and my family is beginning to wonder where I am...i guess that means i am having fun... :O I am sorry that I'm not havign fun in AH anymore here...I really wish i was...and by the numbers, I would guess that I am not the only one .....
>

The thing I don't get is that the most repetitive crap on earth is to be found in games like WOW ( I know nothing about AION but from the website it looks to be "about the same" to my admittedly less than expert eye) .   Excluding the burnout factor you are alluding to, what I just don't get is how much everyone loves the repetitive nature of the game play in WOW to the tune of 100's of thousands of subscribers and 10's of thousands of hours of repetitive leveling up, yet here (where there's so many more options for game play) it's considered to be a game fault?

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »
I would almost call that an attempt at trolling ;)  :neener:

Was not a troll, i'm serious.

I've said the same thing about 3 different ways to try to explain it to people incapable of understanding that different types of people enjoy different aspects of the game so I'm done trying to explain it to them.   :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »

You missed that I was quoting Guppy, not you?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 1MADDOG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

I've said the same thing about 3 different ways to try to explain it to people incapable of understanding that different types of people enjoy different aspects of the game so I'm done trying to explain it to them.   :)

:rofl Was not! Was too! Was not! Was too! :rofl

Waiting for the beating the dead horse pictures to start coming back. :O
:old: SM1/E-6 USN 1980-1991 (100% Disabled Vet) Served on FFG-11, FFG-13, FF-1047, LHD-1, HC-16, NAS Pensacola (Navy Police)
Multi AHXARL Season & Finale Champion, Having Fun Since Tour #76
I'm also PorkyPig, DickWeed, 1CASPER1 & Calypso

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:10 AM »
11/24/2010 @ 7:32am (Mountain Time)

Titanic Tuesday (War Win/All inclusive styles of play Arena): 118/850

Dueling Arena (Non-War Win, All Seeing, All Knowing, Simple Combat): 13/200

Word War One Arena (All Seeing, All Knowing, Simple Combat) 1/100

Which one demonstrates more depth & purpose & end-result of the fight, again?
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"