Author Topic: question to the AVA players  (Read 4101 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
question to the AVA players
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
there seems to be alot of negative bantor on channel 1 lately. we would like to get peoples opinions on something.

would you like the AVA staff to continue to police the text buffer in the AVA, or would you like us to shut off channel 1?

tell us what you think and how you feel. thanks!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: question to the AVA players
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:51:35 PM »
there seems to be alot of negative bantor on channel 1 lately. we would like to get peoples opinions on something.

would you like the AVA staff to continue to police the text buffer in the AVA, or would you like us to shut off channel 1?

i hate to say this, 'cause it makes more work for you guys........

i think that channel 1 should remain open. outside of the negative banter, there is a LOT of friendly, and fun chat going on between multiple pile-its from both sides.
 we have a somewhat unique playground within this big playground. it doesn't mean we're any better or any worse or "elite" compared to the rest.....we're just unique, and different. this is a lot of the attraction here.
 in general, we're a bit more mature(or at least some of us fake it  :D ) than a lot of the ma type stuff, in that we fight for the fun, be it furballing, 1-1, 2-2, or a coordinated base take(WTG on that last night bigrat).
 we also have zero problems on channel 1 for 99% of the time. if we close that channel, then those causing the negative banter have already won, and we've then taken a step in the direction they wish to see us travel.

sometimes we police it ourselves, by simply not responding to the negativity, sometimes we let ourselves get drawn up into it........but i think we need to leave it open.

a couple of suggestions to deal with the problems you're referencing:

1) film EVERYTHING. if you don;t have film running, then use the "alt s" to take a screen shot of whatever is being said.
2) simply do not respond. sounds silly, and often times in real life, this doesn't work....but here, it works perfectly.(i broke my own rule last night, but managed to control myself and stop)
3) if something/someone pisses you off due to things that have been previously discussed.....do something different. i think it was aabite? that was getting pissed. i mentioned to him that he should take a plane, inverted, fly between the trees, and then through a hangar. i think that broke his bad mood, although i think he was smarter than to try something that dumb.  :devil
4) often times there are tactics being used that we don't care for. the simple answer here, is to defeat those tactics with superior tactics.
example: 2 thursday night, there was a 262 flying high, practicing bnz, and picking. crazy8s and i got alt, and tag-teamed him. at that point, he could not chance a bnz with 2 enemies in the area, up high where he would have no e to maneuver with. each time he went for one of us, the other was setting up for a possible shot....we never got it, but he eventually left the area to rtb.

anyway....sorry for the ramble..........

and thanks again for all of the hard work you guys do in there. <<S>>

BTW.....the haze up high was friggin marvelous!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
1 should stay, it's fun to talk to the guys on the other side.  One warning per night on the buffer should be enough, if the said person does something negative again that night then text ban.  Punish the abusers not the people who use it properly.  

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:59:17 PM »
1 should stay, it's fun to talk to the guys on the other side.  One warning per night on the buffer should be enough, if the said person does something negative again that night then text ban.  Punish the abusers not the people who use it properly.  

:salute
BigRat

+1  one warning and a 24hour text ban, but they should still use country VOX because that would really make it hard to even fly without not being able to communicate with fellow team members, i like being able to chat with the other side after a good fight
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:01:45 PM »

Punish the abusers and leave it up for those who can be civil and respectful of others.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »
My personal opinion is to shut it off. I haven't been in the AvA lately so this isn't a reaction to the current situation.

That gives the players the most choice in the matter.

Channel 200 is still available and they are few new (to Aces High) flying in AVA so everyone knows about 200. Those who want it can tune it and those that don't want it can de-tune.

Having volunteers (not HTC employees) police the channel just to keep it open isn't fair to the volunteers and is likely to create problems.

Squelch would be another viable solution but there is no way to make a permanent squelch list. I would favor squelch if we had that option.

Before AvA was no icon, my squad would go in and get non-stop abuse from a small group of players because we were flying as a team of four to six. The inability to shut it off and HTC's refusal to act on it (yes I sent the film to Skuzzy) was the deciding factor in us leaving the AvA and I actually closed my account for 6 months. It wasn't closed because of this but it made it easier.

I reopened my account because the AvA is no icon but the fire to fly is pretty much gone and the squadron is very low attendance. I love the AvA when I get in there and can fly the p38 but I know not being able to shut off the annoying children would result in me logging off instead of hanging around.

I hate that a few people are able to cause this much consternation. I'm sure they love the attention they are getting on the BBS.

We are feeding the trolls.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:16 PM »
Leave Ch1 on; people need to learn to turn off their attitudes instead.
If they just can't learn, then chat ban them...I don't care who it is; just make sure it's justified.
If chat-banned still feel the need to send nasty PM's, then they get ejected from the arena.

I can't understand why it's so hard for people to just play the game without being total a-holes.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:43 PM »
If they just can't learn, then chat ban them...I don't care who it is; just make sure it's justified.
If chat-banned still feel the need to send nasty PM's, then they get ejected from the arena.

I can't understand why it's so hard for people to just play the game without being total a-holes.

compensating.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »

Because they've never been good at being orifices and are trying to learn?  If I want to be I'm a top notch one.  I just don't see the point in being one anymore.  Much better to have fun, laugh, enjoy the company of others, do what you can for the people around you, and on occasion blast them out of the sky or watch them spiral down into a smoking crater.  Much MUCH better than being a jerk IMHO. And NO I DO NOT WANT TO HOLD HANDS AND SING KUM BY YAH..  But i'll drink a beer with any of yall.  If you don't drink alcohol tea is fine or Gatorade.. *shrug* whatever.  :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
Why is anyone allowing real life social rejects to get to them? You're dealing with people who in real life have no social life, low self esteem and could not muster the testicular fortitude to talk the trash in your face. They are in fact so pathetic the only real physical interaction they get is with their hands, and that's only when their hands feel like it.

Learn to laugh at the feeble minds that need to use juvenile behavior in cyberspace to feel masculine. People like that are easy to ignore, but you have to put your own ego aside to do it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
Don't hold back gyrene...tell us how you really feel.   :lol
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
Why is anyone allowing real life social rejects to get to them? You're dealing with people who in real life have no social life, low self esteem and could not muster the testicular fortitude to talk the trash in your face. They are in fact so pathetic the only real physical interaction they get is with their hands, and that's only when their hands feel like it.

Learn to laugh at the feeble minds that need to use juvenile behavior in cyberspace to feel masculine. People like that are easy to ignore, but you have to put your own ego aside to do it.

yep.

fly something really hard to fight in. you're ego will dissappear real quick.  :noid :neener: :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

What ever you need to tell yourself to sleep better at night, you are so far off base it isn't even funny.
See Rule #4

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
What ever you need to tell yourself to sleep better at night, you are so far off base it isn't even funny.
Oh really? Please enlighten me then. Contrary to your personal needs and desires, nothing in AH is important enough to me to lose a wink of sleep so it's very easy for me to view the feeble minded social rejects who seem to think any accomplishments within this cyberworld are worthy of a single iota of acknowledgement outside of a virtual high five, as humorous. I'm guessing by your post that you're one of the feeble minded individuals I view with humor and it upsets you.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline antivortex

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
Nope
See Rule #4