Author Topic: CH Fighterstick  (Read 1985 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: CH Fighterstick
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 01:03:49 PM »
Jaxx,
the only time I would even think of using the Y and X axis analog trim whels would be if my stick lost calibration during a fight ( which hardly ever happens )

some people will go to the extreme of taping them down with duct tape, to keep them centered, I for one have never had a problem with them......

is best to make sure the trim wheels are centered ( they have a detent to acknowledge this  ) then calibrate your stick in Windows ( in CHCM ) and then in the game .. and forget about them after that

if you are having problems with trim,  check out the following help page:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/trim/trim.htm

it will thoroughly explain how TRIM in Aces High works......

edit: you can program then to actually use the analog trim wheels as a game mapped function for trimming your plane, I recommend not to do this myself, but to each their own decision

Dicho - the left one is actually the rotary throttle built on the stick, I too have it programmed to Engine RPM

hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:06:53 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »
the bottom trim button I leave centered and use the in game trim.  The left one I have slaved to engine rpms.  don't know how everybody else does it but it works for me.  Good luck

I'm assuming you leave the right one centered too.  AH recognizes the left trim wheel as a separate analog input but not the center, and right wheels. 
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 01:08:48 PM »
I'm assuming you leave the right one centered too.  AH recognizes the left trim wheel as a separate analog input but not the center, and right wheels. 

yes, AH does not recognize them, but you can work around it via checking the links Cryptic provided you in his posts above, if you want that type of stuff
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10:29 PM »
sorry,

Wheel not button and TC is right I just leave the bottom one alone.  Never could get used to it and I prefer to keep my hand on the stick as much as possible.  I do like having the left wheel set to my rpm if I need to conserve fuel or cruise for a while.  For me this made getting the right rpm quick and easy.  But I'll shut up now TC knows a heck of a lot more than I do and is much better at explaining it.

Good luck though <S>

I've had mine for four years and it still works like new.    
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
you doing fine, Dicho.... and you shouldn't think like that.. you no spring chicken yourself and your advice, suggestions and help is just as important as anyone elses
 :old:  :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »
TY TC

:cheers:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »
Thanks all. 

The only other problem I'm having is probably the result of using TrackIR, Saitek Throttle, CH Pedals and CH stick using only a passive USB hub.  I just bought a powered USB hub today, so hopefully that will help.
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »
Like said before they are not trim wheels they are to use to center you axes once centered leave them alone. I would sugest you read the homeboy link that I put in the previous post. It would save a lot of trouble you might have.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 03:39:50 PM »
although CH Control Manager is great and will let you do an almost unlimited amount of things

do realize that aces high will let you use all your CH gear including your 3 modes on both the Throttle & the fighter stick along with the extra 4 modes that Aces high has built into its controller setup section....

so you actually have an unlimited supply of options by just using Aces High forgoing the CHCM programming of your CH Stuff......

for those who play a asortment of other MMO games that use controllers, CHCM might be of an even more importance.....

the only thing I use CHCM for anymore, is to combine ( see ) my controllers as one...... (<--- hope I explained that right, was something murdr had suggested to me several years ago )

I quit using the CHCM to program/setup my buttons and switched to fully learning and using what Aces High has to offer

best of luck to ya, either way you go  :aok

TC wasn't trying to say you were wrong or righte was just posting that it is better to load the CHCM for drivers that's all. You do not need to ever touch the program again if you choose. I have just seen people say that I can't keep the stick calibrated,the first thing to ask is did you load the CH drivers. The answer is usually no. The second question is did you turn the wheels on the bottom and on the right side,The answer is do you mean the trim wheels. Again from homeboy"
 "Those Trim Wheels, They Ain't
Those two dials near the gimbals of a CH stick are referred to in CH Products literature as "trim wheels."   That's an unfortunate term because us aviation types can't help but think that means "aircraft trim" and we are tempted to try and use those wheels to trim our airplane.  A better choice of term might be "pot trim wheels" or something like that.  You see, this wheel is physically attached to the axis pot and can be used to center the pot (or equalize the travel of the pot to one side and the other). The problem with trying to use them for aircraft trim is once you've calibrated your stick and then you move one of these trim wheels, you throw off your calibration and it is very difficult to get the pot exactly where it was when you did the calibration.  The precision of these wheels is not that great and just the slightest movement can throw the pot off quite a bit.  It is my opinion that you carefully lock the trim wheels in their detent and never touch them again.

In truth, these trim wheels are a bit of a hold-over from the Gameport days where centering the pot was a legitimate issue.  Because of the way USB devices are designed, this is not that much of an issue anymore.  It is very rare that these USB sticks need any sort of pot trimming."
 I too point a lot to homeboy he is one of the best when it comes to CH and also CH mods. I all so point people new to CH to  homeboy write-up because it can get people familiar with what certain things are.
 I for one use CHCM just for the things that you can do with it. I like to let people know that they just didn't buy a stick but a stick that has a very good programe with it. If they choose to learn the program is their choice.
 I had to ask for help many times with CHCM on these forums and at the Hanger luckily their are some very nice people that have help me.

365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:37 PM »
don't you need the control manager installed to properly calibrate the CH equipment.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
don't you need the control manager installed to properly calibrate the CH equipment.

I have yet to install it, flatiron, on this PC I threw together last week....... with Win 7 OS.....

using CH FighterStick & Pro Throttle USB

it auto downloaded the CH drivers and it calibrated just fine in Win7 and Aces high

I just flew tonight online without any problems

YMMV

edit: I Do Recommend People Install it though, if they are using CH Products USB controllers....... I just have not gotten around to it yet..... but still I have had no problems....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:23:57 PM by TequilaChaser »

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
TC if you run the CHCM it will add the CH drivers, what windows installed were generic drivers.

I just think the CH drivers would be better than windows generic drivers. Yes they will work with the windows generic drivers.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:48 PM »
TC if you run the CHCM it will add the CH drivers, what windows installed were generic drivers.

I just think the CH drivers would be better than windows generic drivers. Yes they will work with the windows generic drivers.

Yes Cryptic, CH USB Drivers are better than windows generic drivers

but as I have already said, my Windows 7 automatically installed the correct CH USB Drivers for my USB Controllers when I plugged my controllers in

from the CH Products Website:
Drivers for most CH USB controllers are built into Windows by Microsoft. Thus making most CH USB controllers plug and play. The following controllers DO NOT REQUIRE any software installation:
Flightstick Pro
Combatstick
Fighterstick
Pro Throttle
Throttle Quadrant
Flight Sim Yoke
Virtual Pilot Pro
Pro Pedals

Ch Products Website quoted from:
http://www.chproducts.com/retail/downloads.html

now this may not be true for everyone, however it is true in my case....... if you would like I can go nd copy/paste the driver names for you if need be

this was not the case when I was using WinXP, I had to use CHCM

hope this helps  :salute

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
NP I believe you. I still use XP and when I load CHCM it installs all the drivers. I just like to use it for the scripts that I have some from homeboy and others from the Hanger. I  like to let people know that there is more to the controllers,some never would know if we didn't say anything. Yes it is hard to learn if you want to write scripts but if you just want to use keystrokes or a CMC file it's not that hard. I have a CMC file that I send to people and show them how to use it. I have spent many hours helping people learn how to use the program only because homeboy took the time to help me. I'm just passing info on and willing to help others that would like to learn how to use the program. If I could learn it any body could sometimes it just takes someone to walk you through it like it did me.
 I don't like to use the keyboard and have almost everything in my sticks. I can cycle through the salvos and delays with one button no need to use the keyboard. Know if Hitec would make a keystroke for the E6B. There's a way to make your mouse move to a certain spot on the screen but I could never figure that one out.

365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
Homeboy had a mod for a two stage trigger.  It may be on his website that is listed earlier in this thread.  He did the mod on two sticks for me and it works great.  But you need to program it in CM.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL