Author Topic: What's with sticking to one country about?  (Read 4523 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Re: What's with sticking to one country about?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
Some of us enjoy being labeled as "Spiz".

In the TFC we go where we feel,  but typically we are on the Bish.  No particular reason though.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Meh, just having the loyalty to my country gives me more of a feel for the simulation. Gives me the ability to get a little ticked off at 1 specific country and makes me want to do better.

Overall dogfight doesn't do that for me. :)

Just my .02

(Image removed from quote.)

In the TFC we go where we feel,  but typically we are on the Bish.  No particular reason though.
:rofl :rofl

:joystick:
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:49 PM »
Why do some people (who aren't from NYC) root for the Yankees and others the Red Sox? Why don't people change favorite teams every few days or weeks?

When I played Little League ball the team assignments were essentially random. There was no real difference between the teams, at least not any more than the variety among players on any one team. Any kid could have played for any of the teams and nothing much would have been different. Still, everyone was expected to be loyal to his own team and to fight hard at all times for that team to beat the others. Anyone who didn't was looked on with contempt. Why? Because team loyalty is one form of sportsmanship. Even at the age of eight that wasn't hard to understand. And it made league play more fun and more intense than pick-up games.

School teams aren't that different. Are the students at State really all that different from those at Tech? Are the players? Aren't the players at both schools more like each other than any of them is like the general student body or the fans? But we still have loyalty for our own school.

One reason I've lost interest in the NFL is the players move around way too much. You don't know who half the guys are, you don't know who you're supposed to be rooting for this year or next. There's no continuity, no loyalty. The coaches change way too often as well. And the teams themselves move too often too. No loyalty by anyone. Why should I cheer for a bunch of random guys I've never heard of, or half of whom I cheered against last season?

How many people here were in the military? Didn't you have pride in your own unit? The guys in the other units are all on the same side too, they're really no different from you, but you want your unit to excel, to be the best. Then you're transferred to another unit and you want that one to be the best. That competition, that sense of pride, are a large part of what drives excellence. Would any units be as good if they randomly reshuffled personnel every day or two?

Tribalism is human nature. When it comes to teams in games it's harmless, even beneficial if it makes people play harder and enjoy the game more. it only becomes harmful when people start to hate those on the other side(s) or associate membership on one team or another with moral superiority. The stakes are much lower in Aces High than they are in the military or even in college football, but the basic principle at work is the same. You fight for the team you're on. You may change teams at some point. When you do, you fight for that team. And you take pride in your team.

If you play enough you will come to know the people on your side better. It becomes fun to fly with the same people, especially if you're in a squad and even more so if you have other squads you like to work with. It isn't loyalty to "a chess piece" any more than it was loyalty to a team color or mascot in Little League, it was and is loyalty to your teammates - not because they are different in nature from those on the other teams, but just because they're your teammates.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
vLoki, we are not asking why do people stick to one side, I think the original posters post was in response to people verbally attacking him in game in game for side switching. Sure, if you have developed some sort of 'team' culture with the 85+ players on you country, then good, but what gets nuts is attacking someone as if they have committed some egregious offense for exploring a different country, esp if they are new.

So you have developed camaraderie with your country mates, which I find hard considering beyond my squaddies I don't know 90% of them and unlike a military unit or sports team, I have never met them nor do I really know them at all, but irregardless... congrats, but that doesn't, in no way, give anyone a license to accuses others of 'spying' or whatever BS some foolishly feel justified to do. AND THIS IS ESP TRUE WHEN ITS DIRECTED TO A NEW PLAYER.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:41:13 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »
The way I look at it is that perhaps the best thing about this silly little game is the friendships that develop around it.  If I flew only on one side I wouldn't get to fly with or have met 2/3rds of the people I count as friends in this game.  

I will now sit back and wait for a squaddie or someone else to come along and point out that no one really likes me and I have no friends. :)

<points>     nah, not going to do it....:)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »
Why do some people (who aren't from NYC) root for the Yankees and others the Red Sox? Why don't people change favorite teams every few days or weeks?

When I played Little League ball the team assignments were essentially random. There was no real difference between the teams, at least not any more than the variety among players on any one team. Any kid could have played for any of the teams and nothing much would have been different. Still, everyone was expected to be loyal to his own team and to fight hard at all times for that team to beat the others. Anyone who didn't was looked on with contempt. Why? Because team loyalty is one form of sportsmanship. Even at the age of eight that wasn't hard to understand. And it made league play more fun and more intense than pick-up games.

School teams aren't that different. Are the students at State really all that different from those at Tech? Are the players? Aren't the players at both schools more like each other than any of them is like the general student body or the fans? But we still have loyalty for our own school.

One reason I've lost interest in the NFL is the players move around way too much. You don't know who half the guys are, you don't know who you're supposed to be rooting for this year or next. There's no continuity, no loyalty. The coaches change way too often as well. And the teams themselves move too often too. No loyalty by anyone. Why should I cheer for a bunch of random guys I've never heard of, or half of whom I cheered against last season?

How many people here were in the military? Didn't you have pride in your own unit? The guys in the other units are all on the same side too, they're really no different from you, but you want your unit to excel, to be the best. Then you're transferred to another unit and you want that one to be the best. That competition, that sense of pride, are a large part of what drives excellence. Would any units be as good if they randomly reshuffled personnel every day or two?

Tribalism is human nature. When it comes to teams in games it's harmless, even beneficial if it makes people play harder and enjoy the game more. it only becomes harmful when people start to hate those on the other side(s) or associate membership on one team or another with moral superiority. The stakes are much lower in Aces High than they are in the military or even in college football, but the basic principle at work is the same. You fight for the team you're on. You may change teams at some point. When you do, you fight for that team. And you take pride in your team.

If you play enough you will come to know the people on your side better. It becomes fun to fly with the same people, especially if you're in a squad and even more so if you have other squads you like to work with. It isn't loyalty to "a chess piece" any more than it was loyalty to a team color or mascot in Little League, it was and is loyalty to your teammates - not because they are different in nature from those on the other teams, but just because they're your teammates.

Some of us grew out of that and found out that good people are good people wherever and that in the end, since no one really dies, and no one really wins or loses beyond the fun they have, it really doesn't matter which chess piece you fly for.  But to each his own.  Neither way is wrong, and those that switch or those that stick to a side shouldn't be condemned for it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
I fly Rook because the few friends I've made online are Rook as well.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 05:59:39 PM »

<points>     nah, not going to do it....:)

I passed on it earlier ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

:aok :aok :aok
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »

:aok :aok :aok :aok

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »
Perhaps AKAK can shed some light on this issue since he is a die hard for queen and chess piece kind of guy.  You only fly Knights right AKAK?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
Still trying to get a sense of the community here. Why is it that some will only fly for one of the 3 countries? Seems too me on any given day, you are flying with different folk anyway.

Because some enjoy flying for one side, there is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with those that like to switch around.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 06:51:10 PM »
Because some enjoy flying for one side, there is nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with those that like to switch around.

ack-ack

+1  :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »
Perhaps AKAK can shed some light on this issue since he is a die hard for queen and chess piece kind of guy.  You only fly Knights right AKAK?

Nope, I'll switch when the mood suits me and it's usually when the sides are lopsided.  Since I've moved back to the LW arenas this last summer and the time that I usually fly, the numbers aren't really all that much out of balance were I need to switch to help even things out all the time.  I'll also switch if I can't find a fight on my side and will switch to whichever side I can find a fight on or if ENY keeps me from upping a P-38J.  When I was primarily in the MW arena, guys like me and Shuff would usually switch sides 2-3 times a night as the gaps between numbers fluxuated far more than in the LW arenas.  I also switch for SAPP nights if I get home early enough to make it.  Hell, I've even switched sides to fly with the Muppets (think before you joined, when Skyrock was still active) and other squadrons for the night.

Please try and do better next time, over all this was a very weak effort.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:03:23 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song