Author Topic: arena closing got to go  (Read 2787 times)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Re: arena closing got to go
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
I'm a Euro guy and I will say without doubt, if HT scrap the Offpeak arena, I quit.

I was so close till they changed the situation. Now the game is fun again!

They change it back, they loose a customer who has been here for 5 years. I get the feeling I won't be the only one going.

Its their decision though
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:40:44 AM »
I'm a Euro guy and I will say without doubt, if HT scrap the Offpeak arena, I quit.

I was so close till they changed the situation. Now the game is fun again!

They change it back, they loose a customer who has been here for 5 years. I get the feeling I won't be the only one going.

Its their decision though
Dont think you have to worry about it going back to where it used to be.

Long ago when the ENY system was put into place, it caused an explosion of "I quit" threats. Once people get used to change and realize that at some point, the change will benifit them, then they are ok with it.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
I'm not worried. If they do change it back they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

I just get tired of the US guys saying 'CHANGE IT BACK' without thinking of how it will impact everyone else! I just thought I would speak out for a few euro guys.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
You must realize that this game pulls in players from all over the world.  The world is not centered on US primetime, even though the "master clock" is at HTC in US Central time zone.  I don't play in LW much, but the solution they came up with to address the player numbers is, I think, a good one.  HTC has already said they will tweak things as needed (including the 50% town-down for captures).  They will not change things without giving them enough time to gather a good data sample.

My advice, be patient and deal with it for now.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
I do not mind the separated arenas for peak and off hours, it makes perfect sense.  What I do not care for is having the same exact map for weeks on end.  I'd like to see maps reset once a week regardless.  I say reset each server map the first cycle after Titanic Tuesday.  To me, AH has become far too much about capturing bases instead of fostering an environment for activity.  The horde mentality is stronger now than it has ever been and the %50 town down for capture has only helped the horde factor grow.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 11:59:36 AM »
real tired of it closing at 11pm west coast time
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »
I'm not worried. If they do change it back they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

I just get tired of the US guys saying 'CHANGE IT BACK' without thinking of how it will impact everyone else! I just thought I would speak out for a few euro guys.

no worse than the UK guys threatening to quit till it was changed, some did, then they came back after they got there way, what are the west coast guys supposed to do, threaten to quit to cause it interferes with our flying time, how childish would that be, i just log off when the Arena locks, its real stupid to stop fighting  battles and leave the Arena
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:54:14 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
Major difference here between the US peak time and Euro peak time.

US peak time you have about 400 odd people. Don't know exact numbers, I'm never up at that time. Split it between 2 arena's, yea good. 200-250 people per arena with caps. You got good fights without MAJOR horde action. OK you have to CHOOSE what arena you go in, and you may not get in the one with your squaddies, but they could move to help you. Or you could go into the other arena and see if you can make new friends.

Euro Peak time. 100 people. Split between two arenas. 80 people and 20 people in LWO and LWB with caps. One arena you can't get in, the other you don't have anyone to fight. Even saying that the three countries in LWB are evenly split that means you get 7-7-6. That's fun? Only people that's fun for are milkrunners. No one else, cause you can't find a fight, specially on a LARGE map. You get 7 people, you need to fly 3 sectors to find one person.

US guys cried because they couldn't fly with their mates. I can understand that. Just. My squad has a lot of US guys. That means that before the Offpeak arena, I didn't have squaddies. If I did, it was maybe one guy who couldn't sleep. Now I can log on and find a few, because I know they're in the only arena.

The Euro guys cried because there was no point playing anymore. With 20 people, even in the arena with 100 people max, if you were lucky to catch the caps, The fights were few and far between. Personally, in my bias opinion, we had a much greater reason to cry. Paying $14.95 for a game where you were lucky to get a fight? Not my idea of fun. Then with the typical game style nowadays, you got HO-ed on the first pass! Fly 3 sectors because you saw a single Dar bar, then HO. Damn right I'd had enough.

You US guys get booted so the arena splits in two (Or back). Least when you log back on you know there is going to be people there. We never. It was money being wasted. As I stated I was on the verge of quitting because I was tired of logging into an empty arena. If the boot were on the other foot you can guarantee you would be in the same position. Since the change, I have logged on at least three times a week. Not major for the diehard players, but more than I have ever played. Check the stats if you don't believe me. If it gets changed back there will be nothing to keep me here, I may as well play offline. At least with the drones I can find more than one plane in the area!

Jamdive. I have just said I am happy playing now. Read above for the reasons. If they change it back then all the reasons I have for playing and I'm sure for many Euro players, will go.

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:54:31 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
At the time of day you're talking about, the squeaky wheel IS the majority.
Retired

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
See Rule #4 (by association)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:54:50 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 02:41:01 PM »
HTC might want to take a look at tweaking the off-peak hours to end earlier on weekends. There were about 350 people on one small map by 2 pm CST today (Sunday).

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
Four arenas is too many. Get rid of the separate TT arena and make it the same as LWO, the way it used to be. Better yet, get rid of LWOH and just close LWB between 1 a.m. and 4 p.m. CST.

I hear that the main problem with this is it makes the caps annoying for European players when they first kick in. Well, the caps are already super annoying for everyone and most especially after 11 p.m. or so CST when LWB is rapidly depopulating and no one can get in LWO. So the simple solution is, either everyone put up with the super annoying caps, or get rid of the caps. I don't see why one player's cap "whine" is any more valid than another's.

But four LW arenas is definitely two too many.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
Also, making the map rotation more rational would go a long way. There's really no excuse for having the same small map in both LWO and LWOH at the same time, and while NDISLES isn't a bad map, it's a terrible map to pack 500 players into, it just guarantees massive hordes because the fronts are so narrow.

I don't see why HTC couldn't implement a fairly simple but better than purely random system for determining what new maps come up. Small maps don't show up in LWO, huge maps don't show up in LWB, no map that is currently in use in one LW arena can come up in a second arena, maps don't reset to the same map with the countries shifted around, and ideally, poll players on map popularity and weight the probability so that popular maps show up more often than unpopular ones. And reset any map that goes 2 weeks without being won.