Author Topic: my Trackir so far  (Read 2190 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
my Trackir so far
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
got my trackir 5 the other day. it came by ups.

i ordered the pro clip, and they sent both the pro clip, and the little metal thingie that goes on a hat.

i think they've modified the pro clip, as mine had to be partially assembled when i took it out of the package. the part that sticks down out of the clip itself is on a pivot now. it just snaps in. the part some of you mentioned as a weak point also is a pivot now too.

the extra wire thing was going to be a bit of a problem. i temporarily solved that with bread ties. tomorrow i'll bring home some vacuum hose, and place both wires together in this. i tried it on the headset, and can't even feel it there.

the camera thing that mounts on the monitor is smaller than i expected. i don't much like the base, as it angles the camera down, and the base legs do not adjust enough to securly fasten it to my monitor(acer C223W). i will be fixing this also with vacuum tubing.

im too tire to download and install the software tonight, so tomorrow night i'll do that, and update this. i'll also bring my old digital camera home and snap a picture of what i was talking about with the pivot points on the pro clip.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: my Trackir so far
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
got my trackir 5 the other day. it came by ups.

i ordered the pro clip, and they sent both the pro clip, and the little metal thingie that goes on a hat.

i think they've modified the pro clip, as mine had to be partially assembled when i took it out of the package. the part that sticks down out of the clip itself is on a pivot now. it just snaps in. the part some of you mentioned as a weak point also is a pivot now too.

the extra wire thing was going to be a bit of a problem. i temporarily solved that with bread ties. tomorrow i'll bring home some vacuum hose, and place both wires together in this. i tried it on the headset, and can't even feel it there.

the camera thing that mounts on the monitor is smaller than i expected. i don't much like the base, as it angles the camera down, and the base legs do not adjust enough to securly fasten it to my monitor(acer C223W). i will be fixing this also with vacuum tubing.

im too tire to download and install the software tonight, so tomorrow night i'll do that, and update this. i'll also bring my old digital camera home and snap a picture of what i was talking about with the pivot points on the pro clip.

So, this isthe first time using the track IR?  If so, give it time to get used to it.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
Interesting, my trackir4 sensor fits on my acer x223w nicely. What the hell did they change on the mount?

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
don't forget your airsickness bag the first few hops
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:25:48 PM »
don't forget your airsickness bag the first few hops

Real men just puke a little (if at all) and swallow it back down.  :neener:
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
I took 3 years off.  Thought I would try hat switches when i came back and save the $160... WRONG! It took me a week before I had a TrackIR 5 on top of my monitor.  I cannot fly without it anymore...  some may argue i still can't fly with it...

Try playing with the settings or, if you want, zip off an email address and I can send you my profile.  Tweaking it does make it better.

<S>

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 05:30:57 AM »
Track ir is fun :banana:

Read the instructions and try different setups :banana:

I have a telescopic attachment that came with Dremil type tool to hang my headphones etc on when i am not playing, it keeps everything safe and out of harms way :old:

Very important do not drink booze while getting used to trackir unless you have a sense of humour :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
Im not sure I understand the advantage of TRAKIP in combat. You certainly cant look behind you and se whats on the monitor  :headscratch:

(i guess i need to see a demo movie or sumthin)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
(i guess i need to see a demo movie or sumthin)

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYPGdyz0Lws&playnext=1&list=PL232CD714DF7BC910 and you will see how it works. Your head movements are scaled, so looking 10° to the side may translate to 10°, 30° or even 180° in game.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:47:53 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYPGdyz0Lws&playnext=1&list=PL232CD714DF7BC910 and you will see how it works. Your head movements are scaled, so looking 10° to the side may translate to 10°, 30° or even 180° in game.

How is it going with hatview ever since you drowned your TrackIR?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »

thanks..explains a lot.

Dear Santa...
today I saw these neat thing for flying cartoon airplanes...

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »
I think theres one for sale on the cheap in 'classifieds' Norm
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
Or you can build your own relatively cheaply (under $10 in most cases) using stuff from RadioShack and free software off the internets.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

I tried it.  It was fun in the WWI arena, but I just couldn't get it to work properly for the 6 view in WWII.  ESPECIALLY in the F4U!

It was completely agravating.  I felt my SA was cut in half in WWII because what was going on behind me was far, far harder to check vs. the view keys.

Trying to swich back and forth from keys and trackir in combat was disorienting.   :furious

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:10:09 PM »
the wabbit is right........if you fly bloooo planes then your  rear views will be deleted agin what you can achieve with fixed view setups. So I dont fly blooo planes
Ludere Vincere