Author Topic: my Trackir so far  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: my Trackir so far
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 12:13:04 PM »
How is it going with hatview ever since you drowned your TrackIR?

Luckily I had only to cope with hat view for about 10 days. I was finally able to get it back working after several cylces of cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 12:34:10 PM »

I tried it.  It was fun in the WWI arena, but I just couldn't get it to work properly for the 6 view in WWII.  ESPECIALLY in the F4U!

It was completely agravating.  I felt my SA was cut in half in WWII because what was going on behind me was far, far harder to check vs. the view keys.

It's far more easier for me, thanks to being able to look back either left or right around the headrest.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 12:37:50 PM »
Luckily I had only to cope with hat view for about 10 days. I was finally able to get it back working after several cylces of cleaning with Isopropyl alcohol and letting it dry.

Excellent! :aok
Though it would have been interesting to know, if it's poosible to get back to - and be happy - with hat view again.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
the wabbit is right........if you fly bloooo planes then your  rear views will be deleted agin what you can achieve with fixed view setups. So I dont fly blooo planes

I THOUGHT someone posted that you can set it up to use a button for that rear view, and then the trackir for the rest?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
Excellent! :aok
Though it would have been interesting to know, if it's poosible to get back to - and be happy - with hat view again.

Only thing I can say: After flying with  hatview for years it took me 1 day to get used to TrackIR and one week to get the "perfect setting". After 5 years with TrackIR,  even after one week of trying really hard to get back to hatviews (DA, TA) it still sucked massively. Cockpit frame bars obstructing views all the time, horrible rear views, game feeling "2-dimensional", very diffcult to keep enemy con in view while maneuvering (using buttons/keystrokes to view feels totally unatural, it's like playing piano while flying :lol)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:22 PM »

Only thing I can say: After flying with  hatview for years it took me 1 day to get used to TrackIR and one week to get the "perfect setting". After 5 years with TrackIR,  even after one week of trying really hard to get back to hatviews (DA, TA) it still sucked massively. Cockpit frame bars obstructing views all the time, horrible rear views, game feeling "2-dimensional", very diffcult to keep enemy con in view while maneuvering (using buttons/keystrokes to view feels totally unatural, it's like playing piano while flying :lol)

i'll probably take the cheesy way out . gonna d/l the software tonight, and mess with it a lil offline. if i can't get it to where i'm happy, i'll be posting and begging for others setups.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
i have my X52 set up to where i can use trackir or press a button and turn it off to use the hat views in some cases
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
mate, you`l love it
just go with how its set up for a little then give it a tweek when you understand it a bit
1/2 hr of it on you will never look bk
I got mine a few months ago from a generous squaddie
and never looked back...(pun intended)
to look back i find it easier to move forward while looking back, around
its intuitive to fly with
enjoy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
mate, you`l love it
just go with how its set up for a little then give it a tweek when you understand it a bit
1/2 hr of it on you will never look bk
I got mine a few months ago from a generous squaddie
and never looked back...(pun intended)
to look back i find it easier to move forward while looking back, around
its intuitive to fly with
enjoy

2 things convinced me to finally pony up the money.

first....this film......
http://www.avaarena.org/videooftheweek.htm

secondly, i find that in low alt fights, without the icons, if the bad guy can get me toggling views too often, i seem to lose him that way. i figure with this, i may still suck, but at least i'll still see him.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:22 PM »
i'll probably take the cheesy way out . gonna d/l the software tonight, and mess with it a lil offline. if i can't get it to where i'm happy, i'll be posting and begging for others setups.

got a couple I can send ya bro
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
the wabbit is right........if you fly bloooo planes then your  rear views will be deleted agin what you can achieve with fixed view setups. So I dont fly blooo planes

I fly blue planes, specifically the F4U and don't have a problem using trackir with them. I don't use the hat views at all in AH, don't even have them mapped.   :joystick:

I found I like a very aggresive profile so that it takes very little movement of my head to look around. I have a small dead zone then almost straight up, I also turned roll off.

I've found that I'm so use to trackir I sometimes find myself trying to move around web pages and such by moving my head.  :confused:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
Cap if you make your own profile give yourself some deadband for the forward view so you can move your head a little without your view changing.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »
Cap-  My advice is, spend the time tweaking it.  I believe it's the single most personal thing to set up for a game like this, even moreso than how you have your buttons mapped on your stick.  The software is universally adjustable, so use it to get it just how you want it.  It will pay off.

TrackIR is funny, people either love it or hate it.  I can't live without it, I have squaddies who can't use it at all.

What FLS mentioned about the deadband works well for me as well.  I have about a 3/4 inch diameter sphere where if my head is there, it doesn't move at all.  That doesn't sound like a lot of room, but it's enough, once you get used to it.  Also, don't be afraid to recenter the TIR (f12) if you shift positions slightly in your chair and it's suddenly off kilter.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

You going to be flying tonight coyote boy?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
ok....here's a pic.

note where the arrows are. the arrow on the right, is where the set was disassembled when i got it. it was just a simple "snap" fit. there is as you can see an "O" ring at each fitting. these fittings are both pivots. i'd imagine this was/is to correct the weakness mentioned before.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"