Author Topic: A6M3  (Read 4384 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
A6M3
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:09 PM »
Please push this out.
Just about every Pacific event suffers because we don't have the A6M3. It would fill a huge hole we have had for years.  :salute

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: A6M3
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
A6M3 is basically a poorer A6M2 Model 21 with A6M5B cannons
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:26 PM »
A6M3 is basically a poorer A6M2 Model 21 with A6M5B cannons
Does it not also have a more powerful engine?  Same engine as the A6M5, but without the ejector stacks?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »
Does it not also have a more powerful engine?  Same engine as the A6M5, but without the ejector stacks?
it only gained 10-20mph and wouldnt fly like the 5. Too heavy for the airframe and wouldnt turn inside or even with the 5. The Japanese preferred the 2 Model 21s over the 3 Models.

Would be a gap filler as said above though and for that and ONLY that do i :aok
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:28:43 AM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »
Please push this out.
Just about every Pacific event suffers because we don't have the A6M3. It would fill a huge hole we have had for years.  :salute

If daddog is begging for something, this would be a time to get it, HiTech.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Does it not also have a more powerful engine?  Same engine as the A6M5, but without the ejector stacks?

Correct, it used the Sakae 21(sp) over the Sakae 12, I don't remember the horsepower difference in my head but it wasn't a significant increase. Theres also the difference between the two models of A6M3 as far as aerodynamics go.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »
Correct, it used the Sakae 21(sp) over the Sakae 12, I don't remember the horsepower difference in my head but it wasn't a significant increase. Theres also the difference between the two models of A6M3 as far as aerodynamics go.
The new Sakae was slightly heavier and somewhat longer due to the larger supercharger, which moved the center of gravity too far forward on the existing airframe. To correct for this the engine mountings were cut down by 20 cm (8 in), moving the engine back towards the cockpit. This had the side effect of reducing the size of the main fuel tank (located to the rear of the engine) from 518 L (137 US gal) to 470 L (120 US gal).

The only other major changes were to the wings, which were simplified by removing the Model 21's folding tips. This changed the appearance enough to prompt the US to designate it with a new code name, Hap. This name was short-lived, as a protest from USAAF commander General Henry "Hap" Arnold forced a change to "Hamp". Soon after, it was realized that it was simply a new model of the "Zeke". The wings also included larger ammunition boxes, allowing for 100 rounds for each of the 20 mm cannon.

The wing changes had much greater effects on performance than expected. The smaller size led to better roll, and their lower drag allowed the diving speed to be increased to 670 km/h (420 mph). On the downside, maneuverability was reduced, and range suffered due to both decreased lift and the smaller fuel tank. Pilots complained about both. The shorter range proved a significant limitation during the Solomons campaign of 1942.
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
In order to correct the deficiencies of the Model 32, a new version with the Model 21's folding wings, new in-wing fuel tanks and attachments for a 330 L (90 US gal) drop tank under each wing were introduced. The internal fuel was thereby increased to 570 L (137 US gal) in this model, regaining all of the lost range.

As the airframe was reverted from the Model 32 and the engine remained the same, this version received the navy designation Model 22, while Mitsubishi called it the A6M3a. The new model started production in December, and 560 were eventually produced. This company constructed some examples for evaluation, armed with 30 mm Type 5 Cannon, under denomination of A6M3b (model 22b).

A few late-production A6M3 Model 22s had a wing similar to the later shortened, rounded tip wing fitted to the A6M5 Model 52. These were probably a transition model, at least one was photographed at Rabaul-East in Mid-1943.
--------------------------------------
There ya go. ill try to find the link. i literally just took this from a saved word doc that i copied from the internet as a source. <S>

The Model 22 was basically a better model A6M2 Model 21 with an extra 10-20mph max speed while the Model 32 was crap.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:47:17 AM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:47:26 AM »
The Japanese preferred the 2 Model 21s over the 3 Models.
Japanese pilots initially preferred the A5M over the A6M2 and the Ki-27 over the Ki-43 as well, simply because they turned better.  Doesn't mean they were better.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
Japanese pilots initially preferred the A5M over the A6M2 and the Ki-27 over the Ki-43 as well, simply because they turned better.  Doesn't mean they were better.
read above
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:53:35 AM by 321BAR »
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »
To sum up... Less gas, which the japanese hated losing, less wing area (cropped tips) that lost rate of climb and loosened turn radius (which the Japanese hated losing) and while the ENGINE may have been a similar model as the A6M5b, it was not the same performance due to the cowling and exhaust designs.

Overall it monkeys with the FTH and alt bands, but wouldn't be more than 10mph or so faster than the A6M2 we have in-game, would only have 100 rpg (instead of 60 in-game) and the lighter weight from the removed fuel tank was negated in climb rate performance because the wings were cropped.

Same way the Spit8/Spit16 climb the same -- one is lighter but with less wing area so the end result is the same.

EDIT: P.S. This is why those A6M3 skins do NOT belong on the A6M5 airframe in-game. The argument for doing that was the engine was closer to the -5, but the performance and overall history just doesn't match IMO.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 05:18:22 AM »
To sum up... Less gas, which the japanese hated losing, less wing area (cropped tips) that lost rate of climb and loosened turn radius (which the Japanese hated losing) and while the ENGINE may have been a similar model as the A6M5b, it was not the same performance due to the cowling and exhaust designs.

Overall it monkeys with the FTH and alt bands, but wouldn't be more than 10mph or so faster than the A6M2 we have in-game, would only have 100 rpg (instead of 60 in-game) and the lighter weight from the removed fuel tank was negated in climb rate performance because the wings were cropped.

Same way the Spit8/Spit16 climb the same -- one is lighter but with less wing area so the end result is the same.

EDIT: P.S. This is why those A6M3 skins do NOT belong on the A6M5 airframe in-game. The argument for doing that was the engine was closer to the -5, but the performance and overall history just doesn't match IMO.
the lighter/smaller fuel tank negated the heavier engine. the wing design created a poorer flight design in the end. so something that was the same weight (including engine and tank changes) with the A6M3/32 was worse in the end anyways because of the wing. The A6M3/22 was a way of fixing the 32's design flaws and in the end it brought it back to A6M2/21 standards. As i said, the A6M3 was only good for creating ideas for the A6M5/52
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »
Yep, that's pretty much what I've described most times folks go calling for the A6M3 believing it to be a super leap above the A6M2. Hell even Busa tried going on and on and on about how the A6M3 was part of the A6M5b family because of the engine, and totally ignored the facts and the real-world performances when I called him out on his A6M3 skins on the A6M5b plane in-game.

The white/grey ones don't belong. No A6M5 had that color as this was done away with (as far as camo) before this aircraft was in production. But that's another topic. I digress.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
True but if you're going to add an other model of the A6M the only two that I can think of that would be worth the effort are the A6M3 22 or the A6M6c(maybe, I've still yet to see a consistent accurate production figure on this model).
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
The white/grey ones don't belong. No A6M5 had that color as this was done away with (as far as camo) before this aircraft was in production. But that's another topic. I digress.

Don't worry, those skins will soon be gone due to the new model update

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:31:27 PM »
The A6M series is as important to the Japanese plane set, as the Spit is to the Brits and the 109 is to the Germans. Regardless of the negative comments posted about the bird she would be a great addition for the Special events and any Japanese aircraft fan.

To sum up... Less gas, which the Japanese hated losing,

In the MA and for the special events we wouldn't care

less wing area (cropped tips) that lost rate of climb and loosened turn radius (which the Japanese hated losing)
Its a Zeke, if any plane can afford to lose a little bit in the turn...its this one

but wouldn't be more than 10mph or so faster than the A6M2 we have in-game
I'll take it

would only have 100 rpg (instead of 60 in-game)

Only 200 total rounds vs 120....how could that be a bad thing?

This plane is much need IMO, and I can see from your posting that it is not very much needed IYO. But when you go around saying...its "only" 10mph faster or it "only" has 80 more cannon rounds...well that doesn't make sense.

As a fan of the Japanese plane set I would love to see this addition.  :aok

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC