Author Topic: Vulch fests  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
Re: Vulch fests
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
In the ridiculousness of your suggestions (if that's even a word -- if not you have all just coined it as a new word).

Ridiculous in what way? That a situational advantage metric could not be developed, or that one should matter?
Who is John Galt?

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:56 PM »
Ridiculous in what way? That a situational advantage metric could not be developed, or that one should matter?

Nevermind krusty vink, he is awesome  ;)

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2011, 02:36:09 PM »
 :headscratch: would having a flak camp be so bad? i mean some airfields in ww2 had them, so it wouldnt be very inaccurate.

could have an ackfield hidden somewheres around the base (but not on it). camoflaged, that cannot be used when ack is up. but when ack goes down the camoflage is pulled off and the camps location is exposed, along with the flak guns being operational. they could then be manned and open fire on the vultchers flying above the base, then the bases pilots would have enough time to take off while all enemy planes are trying to dodge the flak above the field.

maybe 3-5 flak guns per camp?

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,305198.msg3927062.html#msg3927062

Repsonses from this thread show the formula for the idea of localized eny. Keep in mind this would only figure in numbers and NOT tactical adavantage. Ive been wishing something like this be implimented in the game in hopes of swaying people to play less of an AIRQUAKE style of play.
Honestly, I accept the fact that the MA's mantra is all for the hordes. Its always going to be that way. 99% of the guys that fly in there fly for either the real estate game or by getting you in the tower the fastest way possible. Few and far between players like the dance and giving incentive to guys that fight at disadvantages in turn getting more talent in the arenas
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

<--- Plunger, yes!
       Stupid, NO <-- not directed toward you tralfz

The offhanded, indirect insults of "stupid" are not required. The 2nd loser "name calls", the 1st loser does it indirectly  ;)

My style is obviously different than yours. My thoughts are sound, possibly impractical but sound  :salute
There are some who share my view, obviously most do not!

:salute

JUGgler
I completly agree with you on this one Jug. Not sure what to get out of your response and hope you dont think Im not with ya. Frankly Im surprised at some responses at some here and wonder why they are so agianst it

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »

Nevermind krusty vink, he is awesome  ;)

JUGgler

I'm wondering if there is critical thinking I missed, and that Krusty can enlighten me on.  ;)
Who is John Galt?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »
Absurdly ridiculous that you would recode the ENTIRE game just because you got vulched and it was your own fault.

Beyond ridiculous that you're totally taking a currently objective rule (you get shot somebody kills you) and changing it to benefit you alone. All of a sudden any plane on the ground cannot be killed. What about gear down in flight? Oh yeah, the guy still low and slow, right, so he's can't count now, right?

What next? "I was already engaged! You can't shoot me down!" or "I wasn't looking! No fair!" or "OMG! You snuck up on me when I had rockets selected instead of guns!"

The only final result can be the suggestion that the ONLY kills that count will be the ones where both pilots have aim on each other. In other words, the only kills that are valid are HOs.

THAT is why this is so patently absurd it's hilarious.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »
I'm wondering if there is critical thinking I missed, and that Krusty can enlighten me on.  ;)

I honestly believe he likes to debate for the sole sake of debating!

Whether he agrees or not he will disagree just to debate  :huh :headscratch:

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2011, 02:45:29 PM »
Don't ankle hump. It's unbecoming. Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make them contrary or wrong. You alone are not the only one to say whether vulching should be in the rules of this game or not. It affects the entire dynamic of gameplay.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »
I completly agree with you on this one Jug. Not sure what to get out of your response and hope you dont think Im not with ya. Frankly Im surprised at some responses at some here and wonder why they are so agianst it

I too am quite perplexed and should just bow out gracefully!     :salute

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »
Don't ankle hump. It's unbecoming. Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't make them contrary or wrong. You alone are not the only one to say whether vulching should be in the rules of this game or not. It affects the entire dynamic of gameplay.
I dont think your reading this the right way and what the OP is suggesting. Im on board with it, but seeing as some people are heated about it,guess just drop it

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
Absurdly ridiculous that you would recode the ENTIRE game just because you got vulched and it was your own fault.

Beyond ridiculous that you're totally taking a currently objective rule (you get shot somebody kills you) and changing it to benefit you alone. All of a sudden any plane on the ground cannot be killed. What about gear down in flight? Oh yeah, the guy still low and slow, right, so he's can't count now, right?

What next? "I was already engaged! You can't shoot me down!" or "I wasn't looking! No fair!" or "OMG! You snuck up on me when I had rockets selected instead of guns!"

The only final result can be the suggestion that the ONLY kills that count will be the ones where both pilots have aim on each other. In other words, the only kills that are valid are HOs.

THAT is why this is so patently absurd it's hilarious.

Well I suspected you'd miss the whole point but now it's official. Score, fun, and Strategy are different elements and motivations in the game. Of course you could still kill a plane on the ground and vulch. If that's a good strategy for taking a field  you will benefit strategically. Just not for Score. I thought score didn't matter to you? Then why would you stop vulching if the game made it worth less points?  The point of the thread is that if there are those who's behavior and play are motivated by for score, then the scoring system, which is artificial and arbitrary in it's current formulation, could be modified to encourage more fun game play.

It's FUN to think of how that could be accomplished.

With so much game knowlege Krusty, why not engage in the discussion of how to do it?  :salute

The proposal I threw out is a kernal or draft idea. I think is the basis for something that could work. It is far from fully developed.

P.S. I also don't think the ENTIRE game would need to be re-written. In fact I think an add on line or two of code would do just fine.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 02:56:35 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
why not engage in the discussion of how to do it?

well personally I still dont understand what "it" is, and why we would want to achieve "it". :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

My style is obviously different than yours. My thoughts are sound, possibly impractical but sound  :salute
There are some who share my view, obviously most do not!

:salute

JUGgler

Most people derive their view from "authority" and what the status quo is. This is a sad societal affliction in issues far more important than our silly game!  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
In the spirit of my hero "ack-ack".....

You have the DA for this Politicaly Correct Nonsense or, up from another feild if you don't want to be vulched.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.