Author Topic: <S> all those skilled pilots  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
Re: <S> all those skilled pilots
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
ok, i got it    gunna prepare to theese actions from the players, so its normal. One thing, everyone is whining about get hoed, picked, rammed, etc, but everyone is doing it. If something is not good for me, i wont do the same with the other players couse i know they wont like it. It works in eastern-europe... and yes, thats that simple.
AoM
City of ice

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
Its funny. He says dont ho me but he has come ho me in his sig. Whats up ??
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
Have to admit I don't get all the hand wringing over a death in a cartoon plane game.

IMHO, if getting "beat" in this game (or more often, "dying" unfairly and knowing the "killer" thinks he beat you) matters enough that a player is upset for more than a minute - well, something is wrong.

I'd submit that if someone's identity is tied up in game skill, well, some introspection may be in order.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
One thing, everyone is whining about get hoed, picked, rammed, etc, but everyone is doing it.

Nope, not everyone is whining about those things.  

The only people that whine about those things are the ones who haven't figured out how to avoid having those things done to them.  Those tactics aren't all that difficult to beat, or to potentially even capitalize on.

SA and good ACM defeats the first two.  

The third one is seldom the fault of the guy who hit you (do some research on this- I'd go so far as to say that if you get rammed, 99% of the time you should have simply gotten out of the way; for your opponent to ram you effectively, on purpose, he has to MISS you on his screen).

Taking the path you've voiced (fighting the HO, pick, and ram by returning the favor) is going to lead to a lot of frustration for you.  Far better (IMO) to just improve your own skills, and begin slaughtering the guys who'd like to use those tactics against you.  Asking for folks to change their ways to suit your desires is a long, frustrating, selfish, and ineffective means to make the game better for yourself.

I'd also like to point out that HOing, picking, and ramming are valid, important, and even desirable tactics to have available and present in the game.  They keep things interesting, and keep the game far more "honest" than it would be without them.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dahl

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
This as been an 'interesting' thread,gentlemen...lol.
"Those who win write the history books."
OK,fine-but how do you land this damned thing?

Jagdgeschwader 11
The Proud,The Strong.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
ok, i got it    gunna prepare to theese actions from the players, so its normal. One thing, everyone is whining about get hoed, picked, rammed, etc, but everyone is doing it. If something is not good for me, i wont do the same with the other players couse i know they wont like it. It works in eastern-europe... and yes, thats that simple.

Gotta disagree with your assumptions.

First, as ACM aware AH pilots go, I suck. I do not have "the gift" some people have for targeting, maneuvering, and just in general killing the bad guys. Odds are, I never will have the skills that some seem to have by nature.

Even so, when people try to HO me, I make them miss...unless I choose to let the HO happen. And, if they continue to fight, the path they have to take to HO me is so easily countered that I will be on their 6 in short order. (On the other hand, I will likely then miss several kill shots and end up dying to one of their vengeful brethren while I continue to be saddled up on my target...)

Debrody, I know you are aware of one of your fellow pilots who went to the DA expecting to school me (because their KPD was astronomically better than mine, I guess.) You are also aware that I beat him every single time I fought him over the next couple hours of dueling (excepting the times I stalled out and augered while maneuvering to the finish -- see the first paragraph!!) He was not able to get to my 6, and never knocked a part off me in his snap shooting.

The point is this - instead of getting angry, you would find it far more rewarding to learn how a loser like me knows how to do that kind of flying. 'Cause it isn't all that hard.

<S>

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »
ok, once more...  if anyone couldnt get it. I was in a 262 alone against a cloud. They tried to ho me all the time, i avoided those attempts, but 2 lucky pings got my oils. Then i decided to rtb. Some of them were following me home. I chased them down, they were far outta icon range. I "thought" im in safe then tryed to land. There were several friendlies around. I touched the ground and started braking, when LaSalle rammed me. He crushed into me, and he died too. But there is no problem with it. Its all good...  

You have to assume they are chasing you.  They know that you have to land at the base you are going to.  Throw your rudder and stick stir like crazy on final approach.  Throw the gear down to create drag, get the flaps out, full rudder the entire time.  Just as you are about to touch down, throw the gear up and belly land it to a stop.  They shouldn't be able to get to you in time.  :old:

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
I think the point of the story is that it was a pretty lame thing to do, chase a guy for 2 sectors then try to vulch him before he could stop.

Unfortunately it is the way the game is going, where getting a kill is far more important than fighting and EARNING the kill. Far too many players count on these kinds of kills.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 10:57:11 AM »
<S> Silmaril,
youre talking about Denniss?  ;) Well, he needs to spend some time with ACMs (apologize, Den)
I got your point, sir. I started this topic with some irony, wasnt even angry, but some trollers pissed me off a bit. I still think HOing is generally a lame move, just like ramming on the runway. I would never do those moves, thats why they hurt me.
I apologize. Plz lock or delete this topic.

Edit: thanks, Grizz, thats what i was doing. Ill land on my belly next time to be even quicker.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 11:08:17 AM »
I'm not going to give out the name of the person, both because I said I wouldn't at the time - and more importantly, because the point then (with that pilot) and now (in general) is that AH is a GAME, and should be played for its own enjoyment.

It's a contest for fun, not for ego validation. And the more we encourage chest thumping, the more we try to put posers in what we see as their place, the worse the game environment is going to be.

<OK, I have enough self awareness to realize that my post about the DA sounds like a direct contradiction of the last couple sentences. I'll attempt to atone for my post by saying that at the time I agreed to go to the DA, I repeatedly said "Sure, we can go for fun - just so we agree that this isn't about ego or proving anything." And this time, my post was intended to focus more on the way it's relatively easy to avoid the HO.

But overall, I have to say - "My Bad", and "you now have complete justification to laugh in my face!" :lol

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
why the (samhellfire) is it needed to ramm on the runway

To kill the cartoon opponent at all costs.  A cartoon suicide can be worth the price just for the satisfaction of denying the foe a landing, especially a 262.  Plus, there may be some grudge kill fever in there as well.....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
at all costs
lol     sure... just like the Wabbits in the koth  :lol
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:40:52 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
I think the point of the story is that it was a pretty lame thing to do, chase a guy for 2 sectors then try to vulch him before he could stop.

Unfortunately it is the way the game is going, where getting a kill is far more important than fighting and EARNING the kill. Far too many players count on these kinds of kills.

pFFFFFFFT <--- Uber interjection to emphasize my disdain.

This has absolutely nothing to do with a fight and even less to do with the way the "game is going".  Chasing wounded jets back to base and vulching them has been the way it has been ever since I've been around (since tour 50) and I'm sure it has been that way since they were introduced.  If I double smoked an evil jet that was buzzing around picking guys, you're damned right I'm going to follow him back to base and vulch him.  It has nothing to do with wanting a cheap kill, it has to do with revenge, justice, and more importantly, taking his perk points as retribution for his sins!  I cannot blame anyone that chases my jet back to base, I'd do the same thing.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:38 PM »
You have to assume they are chasing you.  They know that you have to land at the base you are going to.  Throw your rudder and stick stir like crazy on final approach.  Throw the gear down to create drag, get the flaps out, full rudder the entire time.  Just as you are about to touch down, throw the gear up and belly land it to a stop.  They shouldn't be able to get to you in time.  :old:

Thank you for saving me all of that typing  :aok

I will add to this wisdom by saying that this works for any plane.  Sideslip, skid, flaps, throw gear (who cares if they break), opposite stick and rudder (see skid/slip).  anything to bleed speed and slide into home plate.

You really have it down pat when you can do it into a hanger  :x
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
Sure it's been going on since they were introduced, but that doesn't make it right.

Vengeance in a game really?  I'm here for the fights. If the jet/pony/190/tempest dives out and runs away I'm not going to chase him. He gave up, I won that fight, time to look for the next one.

Of course I'm the guy that doesn't HO unless HOed upon, rarely vulches and so on. If there is not fight, why bother?