Author Topic: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station  (Read 9748 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:47 PM »
It's harder to hit a more twisty plane (stick stiring 190's are harder to hit when they flop everywhere)

It's actually a lot harder to hit a fast moving target than a slower, maneuvering target that is possibly presenting multiple angles while "stick stirring".  And, I'm sure you already know this but "stick stirring" while attacking a bomber is not the best tactic to use.

I'm not saying the Me 262 or the Me 163 is are going to be the ultimate B-29 killer, I'm just saying that these to aircraft are very capable of intercepting the B-29 as they both have the speed and fire power necessary. 

Again, it was the jet that rendered the B-29 obsolete, not its age.  The obvious reason why jets didn't have an impact on the B-29 during World War II was that Japan didn't have any other than the odd suicide rocket plane.  Would have been interesting to see how the B-29 would have faired over Europe.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle station
« Reply #166 on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:44 PM »
It's actually a lot harder to hit a fast moving target than a slower, maneuvering target that is possibly presenting multiple angles while "stick stirring".  And, I'm sure you already know this but "stick stirring" while attacking a bomber is not the best tactic to use.

I'm not saying the Me 262 or the Me 163 is are going to be the ultimate B-29 killer, I'm just saying that these to aircraft are very capable of intercepting the B-29 as they both have the speed and fire power necessary. 

Again, it was the jet that rendered the B-29 obsolete, not its age.  The obvious reason why jets didn't have an impact on the B-29 during World War II was that Japan didn't have any other than the odd suicide rocket plane.  Would have been interesting to see how the B-29 would have faired over Europe.

ack-ack
I hear ya, loud and clear... :cheers:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
As far as the 262 goes, in the hands of a experienced AH gamer with plenty of grab time on his/her hands, B29s will be going down in flames, one way or another.

I doubt it... As-is B-24s and B-17s are already instant death/disable for a 262 attack, even if you come in slashing front angles or direct HO (smallest window for return fire).

[EDIT: I made a fast slashing attack in a 262 from 2 oclock at a high angle on SKcolt and he disabled 1 of my guns and 1 of my engines before I opened fire, roughly 23k alt -- several tests with several 262 pilots resulted in instant death, damage, or disable on the first pass through a cluster of bombers. The 262 may get 1 posthumous kill but the rest will get through in most AH cases.]

After looking at the miniscule grouping of all guns on the target in that video, I doubt a 262 will get to guns range most times.

Not to mention they can barely fly level at 30K (cannot get above that, really) so when trying to attack a B-29 at 30K they will only have flat angles with which to attack (which equals instant death from gunners)...

262 will not be a threat to the B-29 when the B-29 is flown at 30K+ like the majority will be in AH.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:48:37 PM by Krusty »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
I doubt it... As-is B-24s and B-17s are already instant death/disable for a 262 attack, even if you come in slashing front angles or direct HO (smallest window for return fire).

[EDIT: I made a fast slashing attack in a 262 from 2 oclock at a high angle on SKcolt and he disabled 1 of my guns and 1 of my engines before I opened fire, roughly 23k alt -- several tests with several 262 pilots resulted in instant death, damage, or disable on the first pass through a cluster of bombers. The 262 may get 1 posthumous kill but the rest will get through in most AH cases.]

After looking at the miniscule grouping of all guns on the target in that video, I doubt a 262 will get to guns range most times.

Not to mention they can barely fly level at 30K (cannot get above that, really) so when trying to attack a B-29 at 30K they will only have flat angles with which to attack (which equals instant death from gunners)...

262 will not be a threat to the B-29 when the B-29 is flown at 30K+ like the majority will be in AH.
Can you imagine what it would've been like for Japanese fighter pilots to try to attack these monsters?   The size difference between a SuperFort and a Tony or Raiden is amazing...

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
There are a lot of differences in real life...

I wonder if the effects of explosive decompression will be modeled in game?

Also, they cruised to and from target at reduced throttle settings while engaged in combat. AH has full throttle. They took hours to climb to alt, in AH you'll be 30K inside 20-30 minutes. In real life they took 100% fuel (the max available allowed fuel for given bomb load, whatever your max T/O weight was, they flew at that), whereas in AH bombers are light, responsive, and nimble because they are flown at 25% almost always. In real life .50cal range, due to air buffet, gun vibration, and many other factors, was 500 yards max. In AH getting pinged accurately by .50cals is common place up to 1000 yards (or 1.5k if you're 30k alt, where the air is thinner and the rounds fly further).

So, it doesn't compare... What they went through was (yes I'll say it) easy compared to what we'll have to do to bring one of these babies down. Only difference is we get to do it more than once. Not a slight against Japanese pilots or anything, just saying the situations they faced as compared to how these will fly in AH's MAs are totally different.

Offline jedi25

• Copper Member
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2011, 06:11:29 PM »
All I am saying is B29 meet my Me110... :devil

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #171 on: February 18, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
I wonder if the effects of explosive decompression will be modeled in game?

The pressurized compartments were depressurized before entering to combat zone...

...and that would be practically the whole arena map in the game.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2011, 06:16:24 PM »
Cool, I knew they would add a Tu-4 one day, but the stars on it are the wrong color!  :furious
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
whereas in AH bombers are light, responsive, and nimble because they are flown at 25% almost always.

Only bombers with short hops and/or medium altitudes do this, or n00bs forgetting that they want to go home. All of these are not that difficult to catch and shoot down.

The guys going on a long, really high altitude run in a B-17 will take more than 25% ,because with this loadout a B-17 takes 25 minutes to reach 25K and 31 minutes to reach 30k.
Personally my lower limit is 50%, my standard loadout for longer runs is 75% occasionally I even take 100 % for really long & high altitude missions.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 09:04:25 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2011, 10:13:37 PM »
I'm getting really sick of folks posting a satirical image as the entirety of their response... The past week it has gotten totally out of hand and is really annoying.

See that? Words are quite useful for expressing thoughts. Let's use them more often.

~BParker~
SHADE

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Kazaa, that's a really nice composite. Too bad smoke and clouds don't look like that here!

Where is the background from? IL2? One of those ground war games (recent tank game comes to mind)?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »
I have no idea Krusty, I just googled for the word "Nuke" and picked a background.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:55:51 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."